Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Some major issues still -

Tall defenders - Awful. Henry and Kolo are 2 major liabilities. As one-on-one key defenders, they are towards the bottom for losses, both losing about 25% of the time.

Midfield - Here's my major concern.. Its clearly a weakness, we dont run deep with talent here.. However, what are the coaches doing giving 60% game time to them?
Bruhn 59% game time
Atkins 62% game time
Danger 62% game time

Bruhn was quite dynamic in the second half, really lifted.. FFS play him 85+% game time!

Another worrying observation, our inability to handball though/out of congestion, vs the opposition, who appear to do it with ease.. And how often our forwards get outmarked..

Some positives -
I though Stanley was decent tonight.
Blitz had a better second half, but shows some serious vulnerabilities.. Put him back in defence please..
Neale had some great moments.
I love Humphries willingness, and ability, to take on the dangerous kick into the corridor.
Mannah - Super goal sense and decision making..
Jezza - Could have had 7 or 8.. Why is it the umpires HATE him? Cant earn a free. For key forwards, he is 37th for frees for with 9. Curnow and McKay have 55 between them.. The missed free nearly cost us the game. Was a HUGE turning point..

Having watched the replay…I think it was a pretty good win. That was the best Adelaide team they fielded all year. Thrillthorp will be a star and their forwards stretched us and made good from limited opportunities.

This is a strange season so we just have to hang around and then hope we can perform on the day. We could easily end up top 4 but also still miss the 8. Either way would actually make sense which is bonkers.

In terms of this game…

I asked pre game whether I could wish for Jezza to kick straight or wait to finals. Let’s hope now I get both wishes. He had a good match up and took advantage. Don’t mind if this is his “form maker” for the rest of the year..

Bruhn’s best game of the year? Maybe for the cats? Still loads of upside but 6 score involvements and 23 possessions (13 contested) at a solid 74%. Under 60% game time! I remain very excited about his upside. Don’t mind a slow build

Atkins was handy as well from 62% game time. Bowes also good off the sub. I would love all 3 of them in the 22 but not sure we will go that way come finals? Will be tough choice I think

Stanley could again be key. I think it is now purely match up as to whether he plays. Obviously SDK dependent. We can’t expect him to do things he can’t - but I liked his contests

Stengle…wow…repaid the faith from the club - just hoping in the long run he gets everything right. But a very handy player!

Danger was a funny game for me. His metres gained were important in limited game time. Didn’t feel like it was a dominant game but was important. 8 clearances (although only 1 centre from 21 CBA) and 7 score involvements is handy

Holmes the same as Danger. Didn’t think it was a great game but pretty solid. Personally I like him coming off half back or the wing rather than out of the middle?

Mannagh knows how to play. Did have 7 turnovers from his 17 possessions (@ 59%) which stopped it being a great game. 6 score involvements…would like to see him link up with handball a bit more?

(As an aside I get the narrative that we missed a trick not putting him in earlier but I am backing the MC that they just couldn’t see a spot until it became impossible not to pick him. They would have been worried about impact on Miers (which no doubt it has had as he has taken his role around the contest) but it feels like we now have got the right balance. Mannagh is now a lock. I thought the same about Dempsey in the back half of 2023 and worried they wasted getting 5-10 more games into him…and 2024 form might say I was right but then again maybe it does not harm making the hungry (and they again would not have seen him play the wing so they couldn’t find a spot?). Lawson is another who looks like he could have come in early when those spots were going to Mullin? I am hoping we are saying the same about Knevitt in 2025)

Lawson just belongs and what a moment! Efficient, smart and brave. Sneaks forward well for a running backman

Dempsey had a good but “almost great” night…could easily have kicked those 2 goals and we would have been speaking about another impressive stat line. As it is his almost 16km running (almost 4km at high speed) is proving valuable. 3 goals assists (21 for the year now) was very important….all 3 he would have been within his rights to have taken the shot - 7 score involvements from the wing is good. I love the way he uses handballs to get others involved (another aside - I do wish Cats used more handballs for link ups!)

Loving Zuthrie development. If we didn’t have Stewart he would be getting more glory. Huge metres gained, 5 intercepts…efficiency wasn’t great but continues to build. Haven’t mentioned Stewart as it is same old…more traditionally back yesterday but solid as ever.

Ok…so I have been pretty positive…BUT I wonder how harsh they end up being with 2E. His stat line looks on par with some of those I have been positive about…but I don’t know how it is 67% DE when he has 7 turnovers from 17 possessions (I actually do know the method but…). He got a number of cheap possessions and wasn’t damaging…(another one who doesn’t think about the overlap handball). But his defensive work is so poor. Since he has moved to the backline we seem to be easy to get over the back of. I wonder how they can squeeze him into the 23 when we get full availability

Neale. I saw a lot of positives. Understand that the MC will be unhappy that he was out marked a few times (in 3rd qtr) but he also took a few key marks and 6 score involvements. The Neale/Hawkins discussion will rage if Neale continues to perform (although who knows really whether Hawkins will actually be right in 3 weeks so it is moot for now)

Ollie Henry…I don’t get the negativity. He was great last week and, like Dempsey, could have been very good this week with a couple of things going his way (Mannagh too advantage otherwise Henry would have kicked 2 and had 5 SI). If he is back to kicking 2 a game that is hard to not be excited about.

SDK…really hoping he can see the year out and get fixed in off season whatever is needed. It is not structural but is happening more regularly so surely something needs to be done? Big hole when he is out

Overall I was pretty happy - Adelaide were very efficient and things rolled their way. A loss would have been a disaster but a win was pretty good. I can’t see us beating Freo next week but it is that kind of year so I will try and believe. Huge game

I don't know that we're playing well enough to beat the saints. At least we don't have to play them at Kardinia Park
I actually think this is an emerging point? Our game style is more suited to the larger grounds? At KP we don’t use the handball overlap and seem to avoid using the wings/pockets. Which has historically made sense I suppose with Hawkins and Jezza dominate key targets…but our strength now is the mobile forward (including Jezza) so we need to create that run and space…

Now Marvel is an unknown ground to us so not sure whether that is better? Certainly the Saints is no way a gimme

Having watched the replay…I think it was a pretty good win. That was the best Adelaide team they fielded all year. Thrillthorp will be a star and their forwards stretched us and made good from limited opportunities.

This is a strange season so we just have to hang around and then hope we can perform on the day. We could easily end up top 4 but also still miss the 8. Either way would actually make sense which is bonkers.

In terms of this game…

I asked pre game whether I could wish for Jezza to kick straight or wait to finals. Let’s hope now I get both wishes. He had a good match up and took advantage. Don’t mind if this is his “form maker” for the rest of the year..

Bruhn’s best game of the year? Maybe for the cats? Still loads of upside but 6 score involvements and 23 possessions (13 contested) at a solid 74%. Under 60% game time! I remain very excited about his upside. Don’t mind a slow build

Atkins was handy as well from 62% game time. Bowes also good off the sub. I would love all 3 of them in the 22 but not sure we will go that way come finals? Will be tough choice I think

Stanley could again be key. I think it is now purely match up as to whether he plays. Obviously SDK dependent. We can’t expect him to do things he can’t - but I liked his contests

Stengle…wow…repaid the faith from the club - just hoping in the long run he gets everything right. But a very handy player!

Danger was a funny game for me. His metres gained were important in limited game time. Didn’t feel like it was a dominant game but was important. 8 clearances (although only 1 centre from 21 CBA) and 7 score involvements is handy

Holmes the same as Danger. Didn’t think it was a great game but pretty solid. Personally I like him coming off half back or the wing rather than out of the middle?

Mannagh knows how to play. Did have 7 turnovers from his 17 possessions (@ 59%) which stopped it being a great game. 6 score involvements…would like to see him link up with handball a bit more?

(As an aside I get the narrative that we missed a trick not putting him in earlier but I am backing the MC that they just couldn’t see a spot until it became impossible not to pick him. They would have been worried about impact on Miers (which no doubt it has had as he has taken his role around the contest) but it feels like we now have got the right balance. Mannagh is now a lock. I thought the same about Dempsey in the back half of 2023 and worried they wasted getting 5-10 more games into him…and 2024 form might say I was right but then again maybe it does not harm making the hungry (and they again would not have seen him play the wing so they couldn’t find a spot?). Lawson is another who looks like he could have come in early when those spots were going to Mullin? I am hoping we are saying the same about Knevitt in 2025)

Lawson just belongs and what a moment! Efficient, smart and brave. Sneaks forward well for a running backman

Dempsey had a good but “almost great” night…could easily have kicked those 2 goals and we would have been speaking about another impressive stat line. As it is his almost 16km running (almost 4km at high speed) is proving valuable. 3 goals assists (21 for the year now) was very important….all 3 he would have been within his rights to have taken the shot - 7 score involvements from the wing is good. I love the way he uses handballs to get others involved (another aside - I do wish Cats used more handballs for link ups!)

Loving Zuthrie development. If we didn’t have Stewart he would be getting more glory. Huge metres gained, 5 intercepts…efficiency wasn’t great but continues to build. Haven’t mentioned Stewart as it is same old…more traditionally back yesterday but solid as ever.

Ok…so I have been pretty positive…BUT I wonder how harsh they end up being with 2E. His stat line looks on par with some of those I have been positive about…but I don’t know how it is 67% DE when he has 7 turnovers from 17 possessions (I actually do know the method but…). He got a number of cheap possessions and wasn’t damaging…(another one who doesn’t think about the overlap handball). But his defensive work is so poor. Since he has moved to the backline we seem to be easy to get over the back of. I wonder how they can squeeze him into the 23 when we get full availability

Neale. I saw a lot of positives. Understand that the MC will be unhappy that he was out marked a few times (in 3rd qtr) but he also took a few key marks and 6 score involvements. The Neale/Hawkins discussion will rage if Neale continues to perform (although who knows really whether Hawkins will actually be right in 3 weeks so it is moot for now)

Ollie Henry…I don’t get the negativity. He was great last week and, like Dempsey, could have been very good this week with a couple of things going his way (Mannagh too advantage otherwise Henry would have kicked 2 and had 5 SI). If he is back to kicking 2 a game that is hard to not be excited about.

SDK…really hoping he can see the year out and get fixed in off season whatever is needed. It is not structural but is happening more regularly so surely something needs to be done? Big hole when he is out

Overall I was pretty happy - Adelaide were very efficient and things rolled their way. A loss would have been a disaster but a win was pretty good. I can’t see us beating Freo next week but it is that kind of year so I will try and believe. Huge game
100% agreed

Tall defenders - Awful. Henry and Kolo are 2 major liabilities. As one-on-one key defenders, they are towards the bottom for losses, both losing about 25% of the time.

Midfield - Here's my major concern.. Its clearly a weakness, we dont run deep with talent here.. However, what are the coaches doing giving 60% game time to them?
Bruhn 59% game time
Atkins 62% game time
Danger 62% game time

Bruhn was quite dynamic in the second half, really lifted.. FFS play him 85+% game time!

Another worrying observation, our inability to handball though/out of congestion, vs the opposition, who appear to do it with ease.. And how often our forwards get outmarked..

Some positives -
I though Stanley was decent tonight.
Blitz had a better second half, but shows some serious vulnerabilities.. Put him back in defence please..
Neale had some great moments.
I love Humphries willingness, and ability, to take on the dangerous kick into the corridor.
Mannah - Super goal sense and decision making..
Jezza - Could have had 7 or 8.. Why is it the umpires HATE him? Cant earn a free. For key forwards, he is 37th for frees for with 9. Curnow and McKay have 55 between them.. The missed free nearly cost us the game. Was a HUGE turning point..
This is my biggest “beef” with our game style. And it is the older players. Danger, Stewart, 2E, Blitz etc who all have massive kick to handball ratios. We get out handballed by 25% every week so it must be a plan or mindset rather than capability. When we do it we can look as good as others - we just don’t. Other teams use the handball to release and also get it into the best and smartest users. We have a couple of elite young decision makers in Dempsey, Miers, Mannagh and now Lawson it looks like etc but rarely choose to handball them the ball when opportunity arises…

I get very frustrated watching this part of our plan.

Agree with most of the other points too

Yes. He'd get his 7 touches and a goal, as well as F50 ruckwork that allows Blics and Stanley to set up behind the ball for those panicky dump kicks out of defence if the oppo win the footy.

Hawkins movement was glacial and was killing us defensively. The structure is better now without him. The mind is willing with tom but i dont think the body is anymore.

We won a flag in 2011 because we were prepared to make the hard call on mooney. Hopefully we make the same call here as theres a flag for the taking.

I said it in the Injury thread about Guthrie but i would say the same about Hawkins unless he comes back and dominates the VFL i wouldn't be calling him up except for a farewell game against WCE in round 24.

Before the injury Hawkins was a liability as much as i love Hawkins and would love to see him go out with 1 more finals series i just don't think he has it in him anymore.

Hawk is a proud guy but he is also the ultimate team/club man. I think he realises what we all see.

He will get a game at home against WC to finish up, and we will get to give him the send off he absolutely deserves.

And then we should revert to our current forward set up in the finals.

And Hawk will accept it with grace.

Thats the way i see it too. 'Manage' neale or henry for round 24 then hawk out for finals.

In terms of this game…

I agree with most of that. We have to believe as port are pretenders but they flogged sydney so we absolutely can beat freo.

On selection tuohy isnt best 23 anymore (except as sub and even that is a stretch). One will go out for duncan both might go out.

If sdk is just a loose patella i think we have to push him through as kolo and henry are so undersized on the no1 kpf. Otherwise blitz has to go back there (although i found it interesting that late last night stanley played as a kpd and blitz rucked).

I think stanley needs to ruck vs freo next week and maybe marshall then we have to rest him against wce (maybe thats where hawk gets the farewell game) then hope the pre finals bye gets him through a couple of finals.

Bowes has to play he adds the bigger bodied mid we need.

I wouldnt pick hawk (bar a farewell game) hes cooked the real debate is whether we go neale or small ball with rohan. Could go either way.
Stanley only plays bc we have no other options.
Cuthrie is done for the year imo.
I think knevitt and clark are in contention for the last 23 spot/sub spot and both will get a chance to show what they can do before finals.

Bruhn 59% game time
Atkins 62% game time
Danger 62% game time

They play them 60% game time because they haven't got the tanks to play more than that. Been doing it for years.

They play them 60% game time because they haven't got the tanks to play more than that. Been doing it for years.
It isn't that they don't have the tank it is just what we do with our mids bar a few.. We have been doing it for a few years now

Lower tog but spread more evenly allows our mids to be fresh at all times during the game and year instead of what we were doing for years with playing Danger and Selwood 85%+ every game and them being cooked by finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kolo has one bad game this year and the haters are quick to pounce and sink the boots in.
Will be top 5 in the b&f this year and deservedly so.
It happens to every long term whipping boy..

They could play 23 great games in a row if the 24th is average the pitchforks come out.

It begs the question why we are recruiting so many mids with small tanks though. And why knevitt doesnt get more games given he has a much bigger tank.

Most of us are far less competent at our jobs than afl umpires. Most of us just aren’t as heavily scrutinised in our jobs as afl umpires.
I disagree. Decisions are scrutinised. The umpires ? Can you name the umpire that made the decision not to pay a free to Cameron. In general I have no idea if it is all umpires that are making errors late in games that effect the results or if 1 umpire makes 90% of those bad decisions because the umpires are not individually scrutinised as the players are. I understand it is hard to get umpires and they are crucial to the game and the AFL tries to protect them but sometimes I think I would like to see a bit more transparency and critical analysis.

Last edited:
The problem with Hawkins is total lack of defensive pressure. I think swapping out Ollie Henry for Rohan is the answer.
Spot on Finknottle
Hawk is an all time great but , like Charlie Dixon , Father Time has come calling.
Feel Hawk could be a liability in finals with his inability to pressure and cover ground.
I think our best line up Jez, Neale , Stengle,close, Miers and one of OH or Rohan. That allows us to play Mannagh as an extra forward/mid.
Balance will be the key….

I don't know that we're playing well enough to beat the saints. At least we don't have to play them at Kardinia Park

Yeh, I’ve been telling oppo fans for 25 years that they’re overrating how hard it is to win at Kardinia Park, but this season I finally see their point.

How good. Could have another 15 years of Dempsey to Humphries! Reckon Lawson will be a goal kicking half backer…he goes deep into forward line and is a good long kick. Looks like he has already worked out that if Ollie gets the ball you need to make sure you get free and ready!

What a great snap!

Thats the way i see it too. 'Manage' neale or henry for round 24 then hawk out for finals.

The challenge is that it will be impossible for the coaches to omit Hawk for a finals campaign. The only way I could see it happening is if Hawk retires before H&A season is done and has the WCE as a farewell - but what happens then if Jez gets injured in finals week one and Hawk is needed beyond then?

As always, the club knows much more than us. We're speculating through binoculars.

But, for mine, there was a look of inevitable decline in Hawkins this year. We all know it's coming, and to me it looks like its hit harder and faster than even we expected.

His niggles wouldn't have helped, for sure, but to me he suddenly looked too old.

I hope I'm wrong, I love the big fella, and would love to see him have one last, strong finals campaign, but I fear the tank is empty and he has no more to give.
Whilst the injury Tommy had last yr ended his season, being out for 12 months worked two ways I believe.
Yes it gave him the longer period of time to be niggle free coming into pre-season 23/24. But the negative may have been, the game (speed) may have moved passed Hawk in the space of a yr.

The challenge is that it will be impossible for the coaches to omit Hawk for a finals campaign. The only way I could see it happening is if Hawk retires before H&A season is done and has the WCE as a farewell - but what happens then if Jez gets injured in finals week one and Hawk is needed beyond then?

I dont think its impossible but they will have to keep their emotions out of it.
Tom being a team guy might even tell them not to pick him. Im sure they will keep him training just in case jez gets injured or concussed.

It begs the question why we are recruiting so many mids with small tanks though. And why knevitt doesnt get more games given he has a much bigger tank.
I would bet it is a strategy and not about tank - can’t be sure but would be surprised if they couldn't play 80% if needed. Indeed I bet they are frustrated that they don’t but have come to accept it.

My memory is that this was our point of difference in 2022. Other clubs had MF who played 85%+ every week and got tired in games and to end of season. We had our champions (danger, guthrie and selwood all had tanks!) play in the 70% most weeks. In fact Guthrie played 80%, Atkins and Danger 75% and Selwood 70% throughout the year.

In finals it was even more stark with only Danger playing 75% and the rest of midfield playing in 60s%. That can’t be fitness - must be tactics

Last year no MF played above 75% with some in the low to mid 60s%

Again this year it is similar to 2023 which has ratcheted down a little from 2022 but similar strategy.

If I was a mid I would be frustrated as it seems hard to get into a rythm but I suppose if they didn’t do it this way they would select one less mid

Whilst the injury Tommy had last yr ended his season, being out for 12 months worked two ways I believe.
Yes it gave him the longer period of time to be niggle free coming into pre-season 23/24. But the negative may have been, the game (speed) may have moved passed Hawk in the space of a yr.

Part of me thinks the injuries have spared Scott making a decision that he mightn't have been able to make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back