Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be, if so it’s a simple arthroscopy to remove it.
Knee instability, is usually due to a ligament injury.
Two treatments:
Muscle strengthening to stabilise ligaments around the joints, or reconstruction surgery to tighten ligaments.

SDK had no ice, no crutches + didn’t ‘appear’ to be in pain. Plus he was happy after the game. You’d think if he was injured he’d be really down ???
You seem like a bit of an expert? Or good at google! Either way…

I think it is knee cap coming loose? It is very saw initially and then after 15m it is fine again. Happened a number of times over past 18 months.

If that is correct is your potential solution the most valid? Ie. I don’t think it is to remove something but to stop something coming loose? The fact that it has happened in quick succession is that cause for more alarm?

Seems like a lovely kid. A bit like Dempsey seems amazingly humble given the talent. And an understated cheekiness which is fun (ie. ollie owed me one). Actually nice that he referenced Ollie given it was Lawsons moment…reminiscent of Ollie referencing Max for handballing his first goal. Nice symmetry

so when you go to work you have 50k people scrutinising/criticising you in the moment, and if you make a mistake you are the subject of scorn?

I bet you mistakes in your job every day and no one even notices (including yourself). And I bet the consequences of those mistakes to you are nominal or more likely zero.

If you want personal accountability for every umpire (ie. name and shame) then get used to the standard of umpiring going to rock bottom. Because who apart from the most power hungry narcissist would want to be an umpire in that environment? You would attract incompetence.

Not sure the how or why, but - to me - the umpiring in 2024 is as incompetent, reactive and inconsistent as its ever been.

Not even the players can follow the way the umps are adjudicating the game anymore. We're all bewildered.

But then again..... having Andrew 'Ostrich' Dillon stick his head in the ground when everyone is in uproar about the quality of umpiring probably suggests a somewhat rudderless ship on the issue.

That decision on Cameron yesterday was something that'd surprise you in country footy, let alone the best comp in the land.

There's been decisions in today's Hawks game too that just leave you shaking the head........I actually just had a crack in another thread about the commentators pussy footing around the ump's incompetence.

The discussion was about retiring at the end of the home and away season. I expect he will not play next year.
I could only see hawkins not retiring if he agrees to spend most of the time in the vfl. I doubt he would agree to that.

Best example of that is Stewart and how his TOG has changed since his role in the team has changed

Looking at his games through to the Carlton clash when he was playing his purely defensive role, he averaged 84.5% TOG from 12 matches (I've excluded the Brisbane clash due to being subbed out at halftime with concussion). And in only 2 of those matches did he play less than 80% TOG - 75% versus Richmond & 76% versus Sydney

Starting with the Essendon match when he moved into the midfield rotation, he's TOG average has dropped to 76.6%, and his 82% against Essendon is the last time he played over 80%

Stewart made a cheeky comment last week after the match, that one benefit of moving into the midfield is that they get looked after a bit better during the match by getting a couple of breaks on the bench each quarter compared with other roles

Guys like Tanner probably could average closer to that 75%+ TOG if playing in a different team, but it's clearly a strategy we're going with where we will rotate our core midfielders to the bench more than other teams do - ignoring Stanley as ruck, Bowes who came on as sub and not quite sure on Blicavs role from yesterday but guessing it was his usual hybrid/2nd ruck role, we can see we ran 5 core midfielders through the centre bounces and we can we none of them played 80% TOG

View attachment 2068493

And for those wondering, that's the full list of CBAs for us from yesterday's match, and here's the stats for Adelaide - we can see they had a couple of midfielders play 80%+

View attachment 2068499
Exactly some of us have been pointing this out for a while yet some refuse to take it in

If we follow your logic why should players have to put up with the analysis and scrutiny they do? Every player including 18 year olds are held to a level of personal accountability. Should we shut down all the supporter boards, reporting on games and TV analysis shows? Do away with the publishing of individual stats?

Perhaps the way to get more umpires and as a result lift the quality of umpiring is to pay more. Current AFL umpires earn between $40,000-$150,000 per year. Why not raise that to at least the average AFL player salary? With that though comes increased scrutiny
That is a crazy comparison.

AFL players get criticism and adulation (along with a large pay packet). There is an upside to balance out the downside. That is the lure to playing.

Umpires would only ever get criticism. There is no upside, only downside. Regardless of how much money they earn.

Yes, an increased salary would potentially give some incentive. But you have to be a special kind of narcissist to be happy getting abused every week and named and shamed in the media for any mistake, with no upside other than money.

Extra scrutiny for umpires will only lead to bad outcomes. Although I guess it might make you feel better so you can add to the pile on if an important decision goes against the cats. Whatever boils your potatoes I guess.

Not sure the how or why, but - to me - the umpiring in 2024 is as incompetent, reactive and inconsistent as its ever been.

Not even the players can follow the way the umps are adjudicating the game anymore. We're all bewildered.

But then again..... having Andrew 'Ostrich' Dillon stick his head in the ground when everyone is in uproar about the quality of umpiring probably suggests a somewhat rudderless ship on the issue.

That decision on Cameron yesterday was something that'd surprise you in country footy, let alone the best comp in the land.

There's been decisions in today's Hawks game too that just leave you shaking the head........I actually just had a crack in another thread about the commentators pussy footing around the ump's incompetence.
What is the benefit of highlighting any and all questionable umpiring decisions? It will not make it better, it will almost certainly make it worse.

This has become the most difficult sport of umpire in the world, largely because of the afl reacting to media scrutiny and making shit up on the fly.

Mistakes happen, sometimes they cost games, almost always they don’t. Move on, it happens.

What is the benefit of highlighting any and all questionable umpiring decisions? It will not make it better, it will almost certainly make it worse.

This has become the most difficult sport of umpire in the world, largely because of the afl reacting to media scrutiny and making shit up on the fly.

Mistakes happen, sometimes they cost games, almost always they don’t. Move on, it happens.

Yes, mistakes happen, but the mistakes they are making all too often are just inexcusable.

Again, for recency, I'll point to the Cameron 'decision' yesterday. There's absolutely no excuse for the non-call. It wasn't in a pack - the players were isolated for all to see. But apparently the umpire couldn't when even Stevie Wonder would've.

It's those moments that are happening in too many games, too often.

Yes, mistakes happen, but the mistakes they are making all too often are just inexcusable.

Again, for recency, I'll point to the Cameron 'decision' yesterday. There's absolutely no excuse for the non-call. It wasn't in a pack - the players were isolated for all to see. But apparently the umpire couldn't when even Stevie Wonder would've.

It's those moments that are happening in too many games, too often.
You are reacting to one poor decision. You will have a breakdown if you react to every poor decision. They are going to happen regardless of what you do to improve umpiring.

And they certainly are going to happen if the solution is to just increase scrutiny on umpires. Only, the consequences will be way worse.

Last edited:
You reacting to one poor decision. You will have a breakdown if you react to every poor decision. They are going to happen regardless of what you do to improve umpirinibg.

And they certainly are going to happen if the solution is to just increase scrutiny on umpires. Only, the consequences will be way worse.

There's multiple poor decisions just like that every round. It's why the quality of umpiring has been such a hot topic this year.

Anyhow, we see it differently. That's fair enough.

If SDK did have to miss due to his knee.. Fre have plenty of big forwards, so to my liking I would play another Key Defender... Who would people rather play?

COS or Jeka?
I would like to try Jeka.

Or we could get Blitz to play as defender ( which he hasn't for years, but would like him to play in defence) And play Stanley as the no 1 ruck the Neale comes up in the ground and be the no 2 ruck while playing forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point, Dempsey, Miers, Close and Humphries are our most dangerous with the ball, if they’re getting a lot of it we rarely lose. Even getting Holmes freed up with handball more would allow him to run. Maybe next year with the development of these guys the MC will add this to the gamestyle?

I didn’t mention Mannagh as I see him more as a dangerous chaos wrecking ball
Miers has been a bit off for a little while now and we really miss his creativity. Max makes mistakes but he has a real dip every week.

You seem like a bit of an expert? Or good at google! Either way…

I think it is knee cap coming loose? It is very saw initially and then after 15m it is fine again. Happened a number of times over past 18 months.

If that is correct is your potential solution the most valid? Ie. I don’t think it is to remove something but to stop something coming loose? The fact that it has happened in quick succession is that cause for more alarm?
No, not an expert. Knowledge is from experience - both knees are dodgy + I’ve had every knee injury possible. But ignored injuries, continuing to ski + play tennis, so yeah, knees are stuffed 🤣🤣🤣

Depends upon scans + arthroscopy.

Conservative approach is to focus on quadriceps, until end of season. If little improvement, then reconstruction in off season.

Medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) is a part of the complex network of soft tissues that stabilise the knee. After MPFL reconstruction patient must wear a brace for six weeks after surgery to allow the ligament to heal. Knee motion is limited to 90 degrees for the first two weeks after surgery + then full motion is allowed.

With successful surgery + rehab SDK would play Rd1 2025.

If SDK did have to miss due to his knee.. Fre have plenty of big forwards, so to my liking I would play another Key Defender... Who would people rather play?

COS or Jeka?
I would like to try Jeka.

Or we could get Blitz to play as defender ( which he hasn't for years, but would like him to play in defence) And play Stanley as the no 1 ruck the Neale comes up in the ground and be the no 2 ruck while playing forward
I'd love to see Jeka get a run... Second best option is Blitz into the backline.. Actually this is preferable..
I'm ok with him as the 2nd ruck, but not as one of the other midfielders, has become a liability as a starting mid, or wing..

Stanley was decent last night, has previously been dominated by O'Brien.. Seemed to go in with a lot more intent

I'd love to see Jeka get a run... Second best option is Blitz into the backline.. Actually this is preferable..
I'm ok with him as the 2nd ruck, but not as one of the other midfielders, has become a liability as a starting mid, or wing..

Stanley was decent last night, has previously been dominated by O'Brien.. Seemed to go in with a lot more intent
But the unfortunate thing is with Blitz, his still playing midfield currently.. id rather him play as our 2nd ruck and play defence.
But I wouldnt mind giving Jeka a game to see how he goes

It begs the question why we are recruiting so many mids with small tanks though. And why knevitt doesnt get more games given he has a much bigger tank.
Purely speculation on my part but I think back to that doco about Richmond's 2020 flag, where Dimma is saying Geelong don't want an end to end game because (essentially) our midfield had traded endurance for size and burst power. I think also to an extent other recruiting/selections decisions have been shaped by this - clearly one of the reasons they loved Menegola, one of the reasons they recruited Smith, one of the reasons they play Dempsey where they do, and maybe one of the reasons Knevitt has been groomed as a wing despite playing U18s as a midfielder, is that they can eat up minutes on the outside which lets more bench rotations go to the inside midfielders.

There is ZERO chance that seasoned AFL midfielders with full AFL pre-seasons do not have a tank to run out 80% of an AFL game. That just makes no sense.

We just dont seem to rotate 3-4 of our mids, through any other position on the ground. Its Midfield or bench only.

We then rotate a couple of half back flankers through the midfield (Holmes/Stewart).

I think we need to keep our main mids in there more, and rotate the others less... And for god sake, keep Blitz out of the midfield (barring ruck) rotation..
I mean I'm sure you could keep them out there longer by rotating them to other parts of the ground, and they clearly have done that in the past with Danger up forward etc, but that doesn't actually solve the problem you're identifying of getting our mids around the ball more. And they're not putting Holmes and Stewart in midfield because of rotations or ToG, they're putting them in because they are better than our actual midfielder.

Didn't hear or see 1 second of the game so went to read some of the game day thread.
Wow! What a bunch of sooks.

Don't want us playing finals huh? Well ok, book your holidays and piss off from posting on the board. What's the point?
Unbelievable.

I was surprised when I saw the scores. But shit happens.
It's the game day thread. What did you expect?

Miers has been a bit off for a little while now and we really miss his creativity. Max makes mistakes but he has a real dip every week.
Miers should be playing at half forward. ATM he’s out of position + unable to create goal assists. He was tackling well, recently.

Last night he was contained. I do acknowledge Miers was moved to strengthen our MF + did well at CBAs. Bruhn’s return saw him win CCs.

Not sure how Miers improves. But playing some kind of role? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Best 3-5 last week
Ah well- wouldn’t have been in in my votes. He’s getting some touches but not making his usual effective use of them. Happy to see it differently but I think when he’s at his best he offers such a point of difference- and I’m missing that and I think the team is too.

Miers should be playing at half forward. ATM he’s out of position + unable to create goal assists. He was tackling well, recently.

Last night he was contained. I do acknowledge Miers was moved to strengthen our MF + did well at CBAs. Bruhn’s return saw him win CCs.

Not sure how Miers improves. But playing some kind of role? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Yep- he’s tackling very well and trying hard- maybe I’m seeing it wrongly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back