Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

This might sound weird, because at the end of the day it has negative connotations I guess, but I reckon a lot of what is voiced in the GD threads isn't negativity as a purpose, but just expressions of exasperation.

That makes any sense??

What we dish up at times is bewildering, and a lot of what is said is off the cuff, 'in the moment' stuff.

I think there's a difference between that and the comments of those who set out to be deliberately negative and incite others.
Yeah it does make sense, and from memory our own negative altercations only occurred in gameday threads (the after effects then remained elsewhere) which was exasperation at the team, ending becoming exasperation with each other. I probably used to be a little too confrontational against comments I saw as overly harsh/dramatic during gamedays. It's not really worth going at people aggressively over heat of the moment remarks, is what I learned.

Plus we are all free to be as negative or positive we like. At times I probably defend players too much but as long as it's all done in a fairly respectful way all views are valid - even if there is strong disagreement on the actual topic.

Yeah it does make sense, and from memory our own negative altercations only occurred in gameday threads (the after effects then remained elsewhere) which was exasperation at the team, ending becoming exasperation with each other. I probably used to be a little too confrontational against comments I saw as overly harsh/dramatic during gamedays. It's not really worth going at people aggressively over heat of the moment remarks, is what I learned.

Plus we are all free to be as negative or positive we like. At times I probably defend players too much but as long as it's all done in a fairly respectful way all views are valid - even if there is strong disagreement on the actual topic.

We all sit at different points on the positivity scale, so some will naturally see things in a darker or brighter shade than the next person.

Being able to discuss and debate the varying degrees cordially is within the grasp of most here thankfully, which makes for a good board.

It's when you see posts that deliberately denigrate players / coach / club that it becomes hard to remain civil, but then you spring their trap by responding.

I see the gameday thread as the online equivalent of sitting in the stands at the game. I don't go there expecting cold, sober, dispassionate takes. It's a place for expressing unadulterated, passionate tribalism as you ride the emotions of match. And just like it is with IRL match watching, there's a variety of fan archetypes in terms of how people conduct themselves when they watch the game. For the most part I think all approaches are fine since we all want the team to win in the end.

I see the gameday thread as the online equivalent of sitting in the stands at the game. I don't go there expecting cold, sober, dispassionate takes. It's a place for expressing unadulterated, passionate tribalism as you ride the emotions of match. And just like it is with IRL match watching, there's a variety of fan archetypes in terms of how people conduct themselves when they watch the game. For the most part I think all approaches are fine since we all want the team to win in the end.

This.

We let our hair down a bit and live in the moment during game time, but in the cold light of day I think most of us are rational enough to digest and reason what we've seen rationally....and perhaps be a little embarrassed by an odd 'moment' or two that we might've had on this board while watching.

I think the key is to look at any poster's record of behaviour and commentary, and you'll soon recognise that nearly all are good and well intentioned, and only a small minority are unreasonable, bitter, or trolls.

I feel bad myself as I also commented on Cameron's infuriating conversion early, then he went on to kick 6 goals and I didn't really give him his proper acknowledgement.

The point being it can be a bit of a cauldron of negativity minus too much of the positive stuff and we are all guilty - I was yesterday more than I'd usually be. At times those threads can dip into the dark side too much. However, people including myself are free to avoid the emotions of a gameday thread if it becomes too annoying.
I haven't participated in a game day thread for a long time and i am so much better for it

The best side just got thrashed by over a hundred points today. The formerly second side just got beat by the Colliwobles. This is the most mediocre season I can remember. We are a chance. Weird as that is.
I reckon the team that is currently on a 9 game winning streak is the best team. They will finish top 2 and get 2 home finals.
Good luck to anyone playing them up there.

I reckon the team that is currently on a 9 game winning streak is the best team. They will finish top 2 and get 2 home finals.
Yep has a 2022 Cats feel about it for Brisbane.

Only hope is a stumble in preliminary final which a lot of the good teams do (as Cats almost did!)

They still have to play the GF at the MCG and that may be a hurdle too big for them

If they make it that far which I still have doubts about

Nailed it. You are missing out on part of the big footy experience if you dont join a game day thread from time to time.

Admittedly i was watching alone so i started the game on an hour and 10 min delay and then fast fowarded through all the breaks, ball ins and throw ups to join the game live with 2 mins to go so missed the game day thread shenanigans.

I want to shout out Shannon Neale's performance. Not that he starred, but it's really obvious that he's starting to clunk more of the marks he goes for. That's a great sign. Early days, he'd drop everything (as many young forwards do) but he's coming along nicely to my eyes. Took a few important grabs against the Crows.

Time will tell, of course. But if the improvements keep coming, he's going to be an excellent player. I'm hopeful!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NBA releases last two minute reports on the officiating for every game.

I don't think any transparency will dull any criticism, which by its very nature is influenced heavily by tribalism.

I think the match day commentators should say very little about the umpiring, more then half the time their criticism is plain wrong. I think something is lost by the criticism in that all decision are made in real time with no benefit of broadcast angles or replays, no do overs.
The nba doesn’t name and shame refs though. They just list the calls at the very end of games and state whether they were deemed correct or incorrect.

The poster I was responding too wanted to have individual umpires held to account for their performance amid scrutiny of all decisions across a match.

Which is frankly insane.

I agree with you that commentators need to stop lingering commentary on umpiring. Make a statement of whether they agreed or disagreed with a decision, then move on. No more multiple replays, no more going back to the event at the next 10 breaks in play, no more assertions that these decisions have changed the result of games. It only gives the issue more oxygen and feeds into tribal paranoia from supporters.

It is just a way to generate headlines/discussion topics/clickbait to make their lives easier in the 24 hr footy “news” (I use that term loosely) cycle. It is the murdochification of the afl, and is just ugly.

I want to shout out Shannon Neale's performance. Not that he starred, but it's really obvious that he's starting to clunk more of the marks he goes for. That's a great sign. Early days, he'd drop everything (as many young forwards do) but he's coming along nicely to my eyes. Took a few important grabs against the Crows.

Time will tell, of course. But if the improvements keep coming, he's going to be an excellent player. I'm hopeful!
He is clearly developing and improving with more game time and a defined role in the team.

He needs another 40-50 games but he could be a very good player in time.

Finally something more respectful and reasonable.
For all the others, I'll be there with tickets to whatever final we may play at the G this year. Supporting my team regardless.
Hear hear! The youngsters need time but are already giving us some great highlights. Can't understand why we couldn't even get 29,000 there. What do people want?

His field kicking had real impact too.. Turned quickly after taking his marks and kicked long and low.. That sort of kick is SO damaging and difficult to defend.
Contrast that with the way big SAV kicks the ball which appears to go higher than it does forward..

Votes:

Geelong v Adelaide​

10 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
5 Joshua Rachele (ADEL)
4 Riley Thilthorpe (ADEL)
4 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
3 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
2 Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
2 Shaun Mannagh (GEEL

Haven't watched any footy since the port home game. Strange to see the ladder for the first time in 3 months.

If we finish 5th do we play our first final at GMHBA?

No because of the MCG contract. Based on the current ladder there would no finals at the MCG in week one if the AFL gave us one at KP. If Carlton and Bulldogs had home finals plus we were playing Freo/GWS/Port then maybe we would get a home final but the current configuration of the eight it would be extremely unlikely. And we wouldn't want a final at KP anyway with our current squad.

This might sound weird, because at the end of the day it has negative connotations I guess, but I reckon a lot of what is voiced in the GD threads isn't negativity as a purpose, but just expressions of exasperation.

That makes any sense??

What we dish up at times is bewildering, and a lot of what is said is off the cuff, 'in the moment' stuff.

I think there's a difference between that and the comments of those who set out to be deliberately negative and incite others.

Thats it and it is a spur of the moment thing

When we were 22 points up against Rich in that GF in shocking weather at the Gabba ( where we had a great record ) i thought Geel were home and hosed . Iwould suggest right at that point in time there would have been alot of negative posts on the Richmond board

And i dont think it should be allowed that say in this review thread someone can quote say 20 posts that a poster has posted in the game day thread when the match is in play ,like i say that should not be allowed

Agreed. Biggest issue in his game so far has been his marking and he took some rippers on the weekend. I think he'll be a good player for us.

Damn, I was really bringing my sophisticated, Lana-esque analytical A-game to the gameday thread yesterday, wasn't I? I hope everyone was taking notes. It's not every day you see the same person write two posts as insightful as "wtf was that" and "Tuohy sucks now" within such a short period of time. 😍
Hey watch it. That's my space!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back