Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't just a matter of punching someone off the ball. Chapman instigated the fight & there was a fair bit of push & shove before Chapman actually threw one, which partially connected with Yaz, hence Yaz's reaction. This is why the booing of Yaz by EFC supporters after the incident was so hypocritical. I haven't watched the game on TV, so I'm not sure how much was shown, but this was going on sometime before the punches were thrown.

Ultimately Yaz defended himself, as you would expect any player to do.
I was listening to the radio on the way home and they interviewed Chapman. He was asked about the incident and he said something interesting. He started by saying that there had been talk that he had said things about a person's colour and race and said it wasnt true. Interesting thing to say.

Oh come on MSR. You're better than that.
Yarran had a brain fade and admitted it to Mick himself after the game.
We'd much rather have Yarran there than next week. Very undisciplined act.
Of course we would much rather have Yaz out there this week, but this wasn't like Waite throwing his arms around carelessly, this was a toe to toe battle which would have gone on for more than a minute before the final punch was thrown.

I must admit I am in agreement with the posters who have pointed to our players being 'bullied' for so long by opposition players. Too often we see our players sniped without giving anything back, hence why teams see us as being a soft target. Hawthorn & Geelong have been among the best at intimidating opposition teams over the last half a dozen years or so, & they have had players suspended in the process. The bigger picture though is that their opponents know they can't bully them without expecting the same in return, generally with interest. What is being suggested is that Yaz let Chapman push him around (much like he used to do with opponents when playing at Geelong) & then turn the other cheek. There is a reason why other teams don't fear our physicality, because for too long there hasn't been any.

A bit harsh. I think he has a place and has been reliable for a long time. He might be forced out but not for long.
Harsh?? I don't think so. He has been serviceable and done some great jobs. But he hasn't improved. He needs to add more strings to his bow if he is to stay in the team. One paced. Disposal is terrible

.I was a little disappointed with both Rowe and Jamison today.

Both looked lost at times and seem down on confidence.
Yeah it's been a horror 3 weeks for both. Griffiths/Riewoldt, Kennedy, Daniher/Carlisle.

Part of it has been the precision kicking from upstream delivery - we need to pressure the ball carrier. Both look slow on a lead which I'm sure is confidence.

Jamo is out of sorts while Rowe may be having a case of 2nd year blues.

Looks like he absolutely belongs. Kicks well, quick, didn't look overawed...

Maybe making him sub was a great way to get him into the game? *ducks for cover.
Pretty exciting debut. Looked totally ready to play. I think he energised the boys when he came on the ground.
******* brilliant as sub. 9 touches in the last. Composed, energetic, footskills very good.

Cheers! It's good to hear, from what I've seen, I think he could be a special player, he absolutely has the ability to make it as a cemented best 22 AFL footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course we would much rather have Yaz out there this week, but this wasn't like Waite throwing his arms around carelessly, this was a toe to toe battle which would have gone on for more than a minute before the final punch was thrown.

I must admit I am in agreement with the posters who have pointed to our players being 'bullied' for so long by opposition players. Too often we see our players sniped without giving anything back, hence why teams see us as being a soft target. Hawthorn & Geelong have been among the best at intimidating opposition teams over the last half a dozen years or so, & they have had players suspended in the process. The bigger picture though is that their opponents know they can't bully them without expecting the same in return, generally with interest. What is being suggested is that Yaz let Chapman push him around (much like he used to do with opponents when playing at Geelong) & then turn the other cheek. There is a reason why other teams don't fear our physicality, because for too long there hasn't been any.

There are ways of standing your ground against an opponent without a punch to the face.
Hawthorn and Geelong have respect by the way they attack the footy. Someone like a Hodge does overstep at times, but he is also brutal when he attacks the footy. So is Lewis.

From what I have seen of the Yarran and Chapman scuffle was just that until a couple of jumper punches were thrown and then Yaz had a brain fade.

You lost for a number of reasons:

1. You lack execution; you need to work on disposal a great deal
2. You have a void of forwards; even if you put it inside 50 your chances are slim
3. You are relatively slow running the ball; self explanatory

All in all, it wasn't unexpected to see your blokes get up for this game. Lucky for us, for at least one game we appear to have been able to overcome the whole 'beat a good side, lose to a poor side' syndrome. But I genuinely applaud the effort - they really did come to play.

IMO you do need to jettison Malthouse at the end of the year. He's not an elite coach anymore and letting his ego dictate a new contract would be disastrous. I think we all know the Blues need to bottom out (that doesn't mean finish bottom BTW), carve the list up, and use Silvagni as a resource.

Of course as an Essendon fan I don't WISH you well, but good hunting.

Thanks for the patronising assessment and gratuitous advice, here's some for you:

IMO you do need to jettison Hird at the end of the year. He's not an ethical person and letting his ego dictate ongoing control of the club would be disastrous. I think we all know the Bombers need to accept responsibility for drugging their players (that doesn't mean destroying evidence), stop hiding evidence from the list, and use a ******* moral compass as a resource.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back