Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved that we showed some mongrel today. Teams have been pushing us around for years, especially Essendon.
  • Yarran will get weeks and in the short term it will hurt, but he sent a message.
  • Murphy got angry and stood up for himself on multiple occasions
  • Bell forcibly pushed Melksham backwards for 15 metres after giving it to one of our guys
The team was looking out for each other, and that's the first time I've seen it in years. Now we just need to work on execution and decision making going forward. Plenty of positives out of today.

That's a bit concerning seeing as tho he was probably our best player. Started hitting some targets forward of centre in the second half. Even laid a few tackles.
please

Have you seen the video since? He hits him in the face and at a minimum will be gone for one week.

Sorry MEB but it was a swing between 2 willing parties tangling not dissimilar to all the jumper punches that are regularly thrown these days to the head (not the face) and caught the brow, the soft/fleshy and prone to open & bleed. Disappointed he'll miss games however.

I'm sure the concussion test was only to stop the bleeding and to avoid lack of rotations, which will compound Yazz's woes with the MRP.

Impressed with how Cripps stood up in the tackles and Byrne's run and disposal. Dre was good, Army added to the mix with hard at it attack & pace. Need to sort out our DE & goal kicking. Evident today for MEL, GWS and us with number of shots on goal and results - not kicking straight hurts.

Our leaders really need to stand up. Jamo, Hendo, Gibbs, Rowe, Murphy...form is not with any of them.

Hopefully we see some changes in the line-up next week and for the remainder of the year, we need to stack the forward line with potential regular goal scorers and then get bonus goals from the talls (who are lacking goals ATM).

Simpson is tough and he doesn't punch people in the face.
Holman is tough and he tackles like a monster but he doesn't punch people in the face.
Bell doesn't let anyone push him around but he doesn't punch people in the face.

It is possible to be a tough guy without hitting someone off the ball, regardless of whether or not you're face to face. It's unnecessary and disadvantages us next week.
I am not condoning his actions... but I am as happy as larry that Yazz stood up for himself against one of the so called football "hard" men. Every week we call our players soft... but today Yazz stood up to someone trying to bully him and I'm willing to bet that Chapman isnt calling Yazz soft tonight. And when the umpire says that he isnt going to tolerate any more elbows to the back, you have to realise that Chapman was pushing the issue with Yazz to get him to fold and pull into his shell and to take him out of the game.

I thought that was one of Murphy better games for awhile... We had plenty for chances.

But bad kicking for goal is bad footy .18 behinds 6 more scoring shots.

It just seems like every bounce of the ball is going against use ATM.

I Hope we sort it soon.. I was more disenchanted this time last year and we ended up playing much better footy latter in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people hate Chapman
Because he is a bully. He is a wannabe "hard" man how goes in hard against guys who are usually just there to play football. When he just plays football... he is very good... but most of the time, he wants to try and throw his weight around. Today he tried that against a guy, who has a bit of a reputation for pulling his head in if you give him a bit of a hard time, to and take him out of the game. And Yarran turned it around on him.

So, my full match thoughts.

After Richmond, I was disappointed, hurt, stunned and wondering if the players I was watching in the first quarter, has been replaced and it was a bunch of hacks wearing masks (C. Judd, not withstanding).

After WC. I couldn't bring myself to post.

As much as I don't like to admit/say it, today was an honourable loss.

Players facing criticism lifted. I have hope of a few wins a moving away from the spoon. Forward structure needs work to get the best players in the best position at the best time. Goal kicking needs to improve further.

Walker looked good down back, broke some lines, provided run, not his best but will be Better for the run.

Murphy. Best game this year. Still a long way from his best. Hardly playing in the middle (carrying something?)

Gibbs. Getting better with each game. I won't make him a whipping boy. When it's his turn to go, he goes. Showing improvement.

Judd. Seriously threatened to break the game open against the flow of play. For Carlton fans who decide not to go because of the results, do yourself a favour. Go and watch the great man run out as many games as you can. Still a very good player, with elite vision and a will to win each contest.

Simpson, somewhat ignored by most today, played his best game this season, marking, running, rebounding.

Cripps. Is a player. I want to flame him for two misses, but will get better for these experiences.

Yazz. (Tongues in cheek) Will be AFL's Mundine. Can handle himself. Hopefully back sooner than later.

Doc. Good start, faded a bit. Looks more sure than 2014. Part of the rebuild.

Rowe. Best game this year. Showed good signs and getting better.

Hendo. I love this bloke. But I want him to be doing more. Maybe needs to try playing deeper. He's not as comfortable forward as he is back.

Dennis. For endeavour, Carltons BOG. Looked threatening. Chased hard. Pace is back compared to last gear.

Tom Bell. Needs to keep playing and will become a better footballer. Pretty good hands, maybe permanently high forward.

Andrejs. Good game. Couple of mistakes, but will keep growing as a footballer.

Ed. I hardly noticed Ed today. Not a good sign. Great story for passion and hard work. Hope the story has plenty more chapters.

Wood. Can't see Warnock knocking him out if he plays with this form.

Jamo. Still a general down back. Not a great game but was reliable.

Levi. Needs to play deep and be told where to run. Not his fault. My deal today is all about forward structure and coaching. With the right coach, Levi becomes a monster asset.

Zac. Good early, faded a bit. Preseason form was not just a flash in the pan. Better than 2014.

Carrots. Goes ok, but is not the player he was. At his best he bullocked, blocked shut down his man, and made those around him, better. Particularly Murph. Haven't seen this in his game since long injury lay off.

Davey. Is not a FF, but seemingly played as such. Poor forward structure. Tries hard and goes and goes.

He has to get min 2.
I think that you have it right there... I can't remember if he has been reported in the past, but if he has, it was a while ago... so he will have to be given a discount. He should cop 2 weeks I think.

Watched the game on fox footy today, was a bit interrupted but saw enough to make some observations.
We played with some heart today and that's what I really wanted to see.
We looked slow today on many occasions. Essendon confidently hauled ass if they had a metre on our guys. They knew they wouldn't be caught.
Only two things got the win for Essendon- accuracy in front of goal and very nice delivery to their forwards.

We had quite a few positives today:-
Cripps performance was got for a kid. Three Essendon players hanging off him at one stage and they still couldn't get him to the deck! Will be good but he is slow over the ground.

Armfield played a reasonable game. But he is only holding a place until we get more talent on the ground.

Wood did ok and never gave up

Walker really made a difference to us structurally. Murph did ok today

Backs did well when the ball was not coming in without a scrap of pressure. Disagree with some of the negative comments about our backs. They would have looked good if Essendon were bombing the ball in all the time like we did.

Yarran made a statement today and won't get any crap from chapman again. Some times it's worth a coup,e of weeks on the side to make a statement. I saw Essendon players hitting the deck today from our guys roughing them up. About #%*¥ time we showed some toughness.

We looked a lot better when we got Byrne on and stopped trying to tag. Tagging doesn't work with Essendon- their uncontested possession game makes players like Carrazzo and Curnow redundant. Neither give us any drive down the ground compared to say Docherty. Byrne gave us drive and used the ball well.

We won the contested ball and did all the hard stuff necessary to win games. Disposal efficiency killed us today.

Some areas of improvement:-
I don't think Ellard, Curnow, Armfield and Carrazzo would be in our best side. They provide no drive and just don't have the skills needed for the game at the highest level. When some of the NB players are ready they should be replaced. Menzel will replace Ellard. Sounds like Wiley will probably replace someone as well.

Also please kick straighter guys! Nuff said. This game was winnable if we had kicked straight.

PS I take MMs point about picking a team that will win each week. I was wrong to think we should just play kids.
In the press conference mick said some of the delivery into the forward line was way off what we had trained for. I think we need to accept that we re being coached at least in a competent manner. We may not like the game plan but if we executed anywhere near as well as Essendon did today we would be a vastly better team.

All up I am a lot happier today than last week.

Some areas of improvement:-
I don't think Ellard, Curnow, Armfield and Carrazzo would be in our best side. They provide no drive and just don't have the skills needed for the game at the highest level. When some of the NB players are ready they should be replaced. Menzel will replace Ellard. Sounds like Wiley will probably replace someone as well.
I think that you are wrong with those two. They might not be the most talented of our players, but in terms of endeavor they give us heaps of drive. We have been complaining for a couple of weeks about our lack of pace... Armfield addresses that issue in spades. If we want Whiley to come into the side, we will need to sacrifice one of Curnow or Carrazzo.

If Menzel is right to come straight back in, I do suspect that he will replace Ellard... but I hope that Mick has the guts to send Menzel to the Bullants to give him some game time there to get him back into football mode because in the two games he has played so far this year... he hasnt even gotten out of first gear let alone second.

Had a very full on day with local footy today and did not see the match, how did Byrne go today?

Firs time that I've had a good look at this chap and what surprised me most is that he is a decent lug of a bloke, he's certainly no twig.

Got in amongst and did not flinch, actually looked like he had been playing the game for a while. Got ripped off by a crap umpiring decision right at the end of the third quarter, could of shattered him completely but to his credit, didn't seem to let it affect him.

I'm not a huge fan of the irish experiments (I still have nightmares over some of Setanta's brain-fades) but if this guy keeps playing that way, he may force me to rethink my position on that.

Also...

Can we please get rid of Mr. Invisible?

Otherwise known as Liam 'I don't lead' Jones.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with him for three-years. I made an early call on him and was howled down by many over it, it's only taken three games for him to display his inefficiencies.

He is a slightly shorter version of Casboult, can take a decent mark but is not reliable when kicking for goal (he is better than Levi but then again, so is my Grandmother). He doesn't work hard enough to win possession or present for the ball to be delivered to him, makes me angry because he was brought to the club for exactly that reason.

Many a Dogs supporter have told me that their biggest knock on him was that he had no second efforts, once beaten for the ball he just let it all go. At 198cm & 98kg, he has the bulk to be an imposing forward so why the hell doesn't he throw some weight around or crash some packs ??

Would rather Kruezer as a ruck/forward.

Either replacing Wood or Casboult.

Imagine Kruezer and Casboult both forward. Rip.

Casboult draws the opposition's strongest KPD and Kreuzer plays his guts out for the team.

It'd work better then having Jones play as the 2nd tall and getting absolutely mauled.

Watson will get his chance when he really gets some serious VFL form happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back