Rd 3 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

geez, we go through 90% of pre season pretty much injury free and than the black cat returns to haunt us.
at least we have two weeks until our next game.

Absolutely ridiculous that we're saying this already. What is with our luck?

For mine Jaench and Tippett in for Sloane and Porps.

No kidding :(

However, it isn't a bad time of the year for this sort of thing to happen as our depth isn't totally exposed due to a relatively fit list. While I'm not a Symes fan, he's more than handy and we haven't even had to mention his name in this thread yet...at least I don't think we have. Cook could come in and contribute if we needed him too, but he's about four or five back in the pack himself, and in terms of KPP's/ruckmen, Moran/Sellar/Thompson/Young/Gunston are all fit and firing.

Not all bad, I hope we're saving our luck for...October-ish ;)

Tippett to replace Porplyzia

Sloane's replacement - I believe that it will come down to Jaensch, Symes and Martin, Symes may be the better like for like player as he can spend long periods on the ball however the other alternative is that Jaensch can play forward to allow Danger to play more in the midfield

it may come down to next weeks sanfl form

can't see too many other unforced changes

Jacobs not ready to have a run in the SANFL next week?

Actually are we allowed to play players in the SANFL (because we have a bye)?

I'd assume that guys who didn't play in round 1 automatically qualify for SANFL during the bye, and we'd have to get permission for anyone who did play round 1. Don't think there'd be too many guys who played this week who we'd want to play during the bye, keep them fresh for round 3 :thumbsu:

Just noting the number of players who have cramped up in fourth quarters across this round. Not uncommon for round 1, but definitely makes me feel better about the timing of our first bye - gives us a real chance to ease our guys into the season.

Having said that, our guys ran out the game beautifully yesterday, hopefully a sign of things to come.

IMO it will be:

IN - Tippett, Martin
OUT - Porps, Sloane

I think Smith did enough to warrent staying in the side, D-Mac is a line call, hopefully he just had a bad night and can come out and find some form in Rd 3.

Possible we might switch Maric out for Jacobs if he's fit, I agree with a few others that we should play the three talls with McKernan and Jacobs/Maric sharing the rucking.

Commentators saying today that Sydney made a mistake playing their 2nd ruck as the sub. I think we'd be silly to play all three talls PLUS Tippett and Walker. Just way too top heavy for mine. And you can't afford to have a tall sitting on the bench for rotations. You need your running players there. Two rucks is ideal with one resting up forward.

Commentators saying today that Sydney made a mistake playing their 2nd ruck as the sub. I think we'd be silly to play all three talls PLUS Tippett and Walker. Just way too top heavy for mine. And you can't afford to have a tall sitting on the bench for rotations. You need your running players there. Two rucks is ideal with one resting up forward.

Sydneys big mistake was picking two ruckman as well as the three talls up forward. I don't think anyone is suggesting picking two rucks plus Smack, Tipp and Walker. Tipp will come back in, who do you suggest dropping? Smack at CHF can push up and play the roaming CHF taking some of the ruck contests around the middle. Maric could then play a kick behind the play and help clog up the opposition defence. Plus a forward lne of consisting of our three talls would be a hard match up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People suggesting that Moran will replace Maric are in lala-land. Not going to happen any time soon - and certainly not after 1 moderately bad performance. His position might have been under threat if Jacobs were ready to go - but he's not, he'll need at lease 2-3 SANFL games (absolute minimum) before he has the match fitness required to play AFL footy.

We have 2 confirmed "outs" (Porps & Sloane) and one possible (Mackay).

Tippett <--> Porps is a no brainer and will happen. If anything it actually improves the balance of our team. McKernan can oscillate between the ruck, forward line and bench.

Sloane's replacement will probably be Symes. Most BF members (including me) think that Martin is a better player, but Symes fits the need for a tough in & under player to replace Sloane - whereas Martin is more "outside" in nature.

Mackay's replacement, if required, will almost certainly be Martin. Mackay will hold his position if he can pass the fitness test next week. We've seen all through the pre-season that Martin was preferred to Jaensch and I don't see that changing now. Fans of the Special J will just have to get used to the fact that he's not in our best 24 players (the 22 which played on Saturday + Tippett & Martin).

Just noting the number of players who have cramped up in fourth quarters across this round. Not uncommon for round 1, but definitely makes me feel better about the timing of our first bye - gives us a real chance to ease our guys into the season.

Having said that, our guys ran out the game beautifully yesterday, hopefully a sign of things to come.

I noticed a few of our guys cramping up too. Particularly Johncock. At one stage he was gesturing to the bench and doing a lot of exaggerated stretching - looked like a groin. Then the ball basically followed him and he went on a run out of defence. I think he went straight off after that.

FWIW:

Tippett for Porps
Symes for Sloane
Martin for DMack if needed

Smith did enough to warrant another week or two.

Definite out - Porps & Sloane

Ins for me - Tippo & Special J

I just think Special J, even though not an inside mid like Symes or Sloane, can offer more versatility up forward or in the midfield than what Symes could.

However, I am no selector so it will probably be Symes anyway :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Forgot about Martin, however with Porps & Sloane being out Special J can play up forward and the midfield. However, if it was someone like Tambling i'd go the alternative with opting for Martin

I agree that Jaensch is probably down the pecking order, but the only person crumbing in the forward 50 on Saturday was Walker. In the first half in particular, this meant that a lot entries into and around the 50 came rebounding straight back down the field after contested marking situations. Someone just has to play that role to a) create more goal-scoring opportunities per entry to the 50, and b) at the very least lock it into the forward area.

You would think that Danger would be a natural for this but he just doesn't seem to have the instinct for it. Vince seems to have the ability to get to the fall of the ball but, obviously, you're not going to station him there permanently. Clearly, it's the role we had Callinan earmarked for so, if not him, then who? Even more important with Tippett coming back.

On 5aa yesterday they said Doughty had done his hamstring right at the end of the game. I haven't heard other reports though. Did I dream it?
No mention of it on the AFC's Monday injury round-up:
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/110177/default.aspx

That said, Sloane apparently has a broken jaw to go with his broken thumb! :eek:

Jacobs is still 2 weeks off playing his 1st game of footy since R1 of the MMC. I'd be surprised to see him in the seniors before R6 at the earliest.

People suggesting that Moran will replace Maric are in lala-land. Not going to happen any time soon - and certainly not after 1 moderately bad performance.

Big difference stating what a preferred team would be versus knowing the club wont select it that way;) So no, not in la-la land sorry. The club will continue putting up with Maric for a while yet.

1 moderately bad performance? It was a performance which perfectly summed up his standard as an AFL ruck. Possibly just above his own average in terms of 2nd half around the game performance, but yeah, just another meh performance...and he is unlikely to get much better.

Can anyone make a decent case based on anything other than Maric' supposed passion/fire that he is a better ruck than Moran? May i say yet again i dont know Moran, in fact seems an aloof metrosexual tbh, but seriously the man love for Maric is overwhelming. I get it that he's a cult hero but seriously.

Re R3, fair to say Maric or Moran would get beaten in hitouts (though I'd back Moran to do slightly better, but yes Sandi should thrash both). So who offers more in other areas of the game (except for looking fierce)? Moran:thumbsu:

Your Moran love is affecting your judgement her mate.

Nothing surer than Moran will be playing for Westies for a while but I'd certainly prefer him over Maric to play against Sandilands.

Though maybe the challenge will get Maric mind in order to come out firing...seems a tricky thing to get right sometimes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rd 3 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back