RD 9: Adelaide vs Carlton Pre-match discussion & changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming Carrots doesn't get up, i'd like to see Hot Lips and Fisher in.

Rationale: Hot Lips is probably our best kick and i think the importance of that is undervalued. Fisher can take a mark inside 50, i know his kicking could be better, but let's not forget, he took more marks than Fev in 2008, missing nearly a third of the season.

Anyone who saw the horror against Freo has to admit that we need someone who can take a grab inside 50 (Fev aside of course).

To boil it down to a crude level (and i mean crude), i'd rather see Fisher take a mark and kick a point, than the ball hit the ground and end up in the enemy's forward line 15 seconds later.

Work ethic will be the key to beating Crows on Sat. We have the midfield to win the stoppages but unless we work back and maintain pressure on their ball carriers - slowing their run-on play - our defence will be under the pump as it was in Ad last year. Walker an emerging player will need attention, Moran can kick a goal (2 last year??), Dangerfield Ok and good workrate. Porpllyzia biggest threat.

Bower - Walker
Jamo - Porps
Thornton - Moran
Austin - Dangerfield

Our ball movement needs to be quick and clean. On Sat Bris was able to cut thru their defence with fast ball carry thru corridor, sometimes coming unstuck but taking a risk to move it quickly. We've had a tendancy so far this year to play stop-start footy when bringing the ball out of defence - I don't think we can do that against the Crows and it's something we need to improve generally.
Interesting to see if Bock plays cos without him we can stretch them with Fev, Waitey Kruez/Hampson. All forwards will need to chase, harrass and pressure their defenders bringing the ball out.

Fev - Rutten (interesting to see what type of game Fev brings along??)
Waite - Stevens (huge mismatch in our favour)
Kruez/Hampson - Bock (if he plays) or Otten
Russell - playing as a leadup forward - did this against Crows last year and has since
This game provides another opportunity for Hampson to develop his game opposed to a young talent like himself rather than a seasoned player.
As I stated - work ethic will dtermine this game - I don't think Ad are as talented but they work hard for each other. If we can match that we'll win!!

http://superstats.heraldsun.com.au/gamestatslive/5015518.html

Don't understand the calls for Fisher. Bags of 2-3 goals in the VFL don't really put his name up in lights. Has his kicking improved? Is he tackling, chasing and fighting to keep the ball in the forward line? Maybe someone who watches a bit of the Bullants could fill me in. Cloke and Houlihan probably need to dominate a game or two at VFL level to come back into contention. Hartlett and Bannister may just have to keep paying the price for our new found depth. Unless the MC have a specific role in mind I can't see them coming in.

Injury aside Wiggins was probably lucky to keep his spot this week, and I would be disappointed if a Browne or Yarran had to make way for him this week.

Austin was steady again. He's a handy size, good pace and I loved his sprint just before half time on the weekend to lay a heavy shepherd on whoever it was chasing Judd. I'd persevere with him for as long as is necessary.

Hampson is a quandry. His tap work has improved, and he had a credible 25 or so hit outs on the weekend, but his movement and positioning around the field is still a glaring issue. Lot's of standing and waving for the ball rather than working to the right position. Hell of a nice mark and goal over Maxwell though it must be said. I'd keep him in at least for this week, but I still think he is two years away from being a truly valuable contributor.

I'd keep Yarran in the mix. He's finding out what's required to play at the top level, and I think the confidence of a few consecutive games will do him good. Their are flashes of brilliance, and whilst his defensive pressure needs to lift, when he tackles someone they stay tackled. He's like a spider on a fly he wraps them up that well.

So after all of that I'm happy to go in unchanged. No one's really demanding to come up or go down, and Adelaide don't have the forward or ruck options that necessitate a 'role' player like O'Hailpin.

Don't understand the calls for Fisher. Bags of 2-3 goals in the VFL don't really put his name up in lights. Has his kicking improved? Is he tackling, chasing and fighting to keep the ball in the forward line? Maybe someone who watches a bit of the Bullants could fill me in. Cloke and Houlihan probably need to dominate a game or two at VFL level to come back into contention. Hartlett and Bannister may just have to keep paying the price for our new found depth. Unless the MC have a specific role in mind I can't see them coming in.

Injury aside Wiggins was probably lucky to keep his spot this week, and I would be disappointed if a Browne or Yarran had to make way for him this week.

Austin was steady again. He's a handy size, good pace and I loved his sprint just before half time on the weekend to lay a heavy shepherd on whoever it was chasing Judd. I'd persevere with him for as long as is necessary.

Hampson is a quandry. His tap work has improved, and he had a credible 25 or so hit outs on the weekend, but his movement and positioning around the field is still a glaring issue. Lot's of standing and waving for the ball rather than working to the right position. Hell of a nice mark and goal over Maxwell though it must be said. I'd keep him in at least for this week, but I still think he is two years away from being a truly valuable contributor.

I'd keep Yarran in the mix. He's finding out what's required to play at the top level, and I think the confidence of a few consecutive games will do him good. Their are flashes of brilliance, and whilst his defensive pressure needs to lift, when he tackles someone they stay tackled. He's like a spider on a fly he wraps them up that well.

So after all of that I'm happy to go in unchanged. No one's really demanding to come up or go down, and Adelaide don't have the forward or ruck options that necessitate a 'role' player like O'Hailpin.

Always appreciate reading a quality, well thought out post. Particularly one enhanced by its agreeance with my own opinions. :thumbsu:

Yarran will play 100%. Its a dreamtime game, and Eddie already said that Yaz will play his 3rd game and is really excited for him..

People talkabout about Fisher inclusion? I would bring in Garlett (forward pressure) before i bring in Fisher/Cloke/Wiggins at the moment, as Waite is playing forward.

My changes this week is:

IN: GRIGG
OUT: BROWNE

EDIT, on second thought, Ratts policy at the start of the year was to not bring back people underdone. Just as he tested Carrazzo in the 2's, he might have Grigg run in the 2's aswell. This is why Grigg is still listed as "TEST" two weeks in a row, because he hasn't had a chance to have a run in the 2's - there was a BYE on the weekend.

My final prediction

Unchanged team sheet. ( I don't really want to see Browne dropped).

Excellent post. Would keep in the same team as last week, it seems a good balance.

Fisher is a concern - great mark, but when he doesn't have the ball the opposition ran off him because of his lack of pace and defensive pressure. Also, his round the ground kicking isn't the best and tends to be a bit slow getting rid of it. If he could improve his round the ground kicking a bit and defensive pressure then he should be in the side IMHO (he kicked 40 odd goals in 2007) - unfortunately his kicking and defense is such a liability that it outweighs his great marking.

Hammo is a long term project and one that should be persisted with - he's winning taps and once he gets the flow of the game and where to run very few midfielders from the opposition will be able to keep up with him (let alone opposition ruckman).

BTW I have a feeling they may leave Yazzle Dazzle in this week on account of it being indigienous round (with Eddie Betts to toss the coin against Andrew Mcleod) which woudn't be a bad thing, and I like the symbolic gesture, would be wonderful for Yazza and Eddie to kick the winnings goals for us, in the foward pocket in the fourth quarter.

I'm actually really moved by the concept of indigienous round, and I always love watching the pre-match concert and celebrations of the dreamtime match (even though i hate both the teams involved in it...) but it was another of Sheedy's great innovations.

It means more to us.

Win this and we may well be third again.
Hard to believe considering the yips we caught recently.

The amount of times we read that we are not worthy of top four has me puzzled.
I agree we are not currently looking like a serious challenger to the big boys, but then again, who are?

It is asking for a lot, but I really feel that once Ratten sets the boys free our performances will be better.
We are better equipped to be an offensive team as opposed to a defensive team.
We are also fitter than most teams and for that reason as much as anything else, we should run, run, run and then run.

On the surface it appears that way, but to be a great side you need to have the ability to play either game, so playing both styles of game is good medium term even if we dont win them all now as it teaches the team (players and coaches) how to handle whatever an opposition coach throws at us. Especially come finals.

We have played some shoot outs and have not always come out on top (Essendon in particular) and we have tried to combat lock down teams and so far we have not perfected the answer to them either.

So either way we need to keep up practicing both styles in full on games until we can confidently say we could handle anything an opposition could throw at us. :thumbsu:

Adelaide will be fired up after recent performances, and the negative media and public opinion of their game plan. If we stay in front and keep the pressure on hopefully the crowd won't be the influence it could be. We could drop this game, but we also have a good record at girlie stadium. Get on top and cruise, and we can send shockwaves throughout the city of Adelaide.

The Cows won't beat us in a shoot out, they don't play that sort of game.

30% of the game they go into lockdown mode,
and play a cheapie possession style,
which lately has shot themselves in the foot.

They have some genuine talent up forward Tippett, Porpoise, Petrenko, Dangerfield, Walker (hope someone has a chat to him while Carlton are over here),
but Craig doesn't let those blokes off the leash and as a result have only kicked 15 goals once this year.

Last year he loaded up forward with the rucks changing in the goal square, apart from that, Craig is pretty predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I nearly started a whole new thread on Bock missing i think it's that important.

That seriously is huge for us.

I would imagine Scott Stevens will have to play as a tall back, and given Adelaide's lack of tall forwards we should be able to use Vinnie's Boy up forward a fair bit.

We should also be able to stretch em for height by having Hammer and Kreuzer and Austin spend some time up forward.

Saturday's forecast is fine so let's hope our big blokes can do some damage up forward.

Bock missing is a big advantage for us as he was playing well and will means Stevens would have to play on Waite, advantage us.

The other good part of the article is Robert Shirley got suspended in the SANFL last week. He normally does pretty well against Juddy. He was kept to 15 touches both times last year against Shirley. I see this as a bigger boost the Bock being out, but I'm happy both are out:thumbsu:

BTW I have a feeling they may leave Yazzle Dazzle in this week on account of it being indigienous round which woudn't be a bad thing...I'm actually really moved by the concept of indigienous round

If the concept of indigenous round means that players are selected simply for being indigenous, then the whole concept is a bit of a farce.

If Yarran remains in the side, I highly doubt that it has anything to do with his race, and suggesting otherwise is a bit of an insult to his talents.

Having said that, I hope he makesway for Houlihan.

wow sensitive people on this board..

we are not saying that garlett and ando should be included..

we are saying that yarran will not be dropped and its just a *bonus* that its indigenous round that will hopefully give Yaz that 1% extra push.

a big F U to all those that have suggested dropping FEV... What a complete joke... you drop Fev then what, who does Rutten go to... Waite?

COME ON PEOPLE.... THINK.

FEV is one of the best full forwards in the comp. Regardless of his form, he will always get the best defender and draw another 1 or 2 players... this showed up on the weekend and will do so in the future...

There should be no changes this week. When your side wins by 51 points, everyone contributed and the fact that the Bullants didnt play, means that no one was in enough red hot form to push their way into the side....

Houlihan and co will have to wait another week..

My speil for now.

Yeah agree in that I wish we weren't facing them at home afer 3 straight losses, but still we have only won 1 of our last 3 so I'd hope the boys are just as hungry.

My changes:

OUT: Stevens, Yarran, Fev or Browne/Russell
IN: Fisher, Houlihan, Bannister

I still think we need another marking option in our forward 50 so Fisher deserves his chance for no other reason than to hopefully provide that option - we had the luxury of dropping 2 forwards against Collingwood and bringing none in, but we cant stay this way surely.

It wasn't Stevens worst game, but if we're going to drop him I'd want it to be sooner rather than later. No point in him putting in ok performances everytime he is close to being dropped and thus retaining his spot - drop him, get it done with, see how he responds.

Yarran has been ok, done some good things but after having a bit of a taste, I'd drop him and let him return next time after putting in consecutive good performances in the reserves. Houlihan has surely got the message...

I'd like to see Bannister get his chance this week for one of Browne or Russell - probably Browne. However if Fev is injured than I'd simply bring in Bannister for Fev - not really sure what the go is for Fev...if its only attitude than perhaps leave him, even if he isnt kicking goals at least he is taking 2, sometimes 3 defenders from the action.
i'd add Jamieson and Thornton to your list of players to be dropped ..we can't go on losing like we did last week without swinging the axe.......oh wait ..we won by 51 points:eek:

we are saying that yarran will not be dropped and its just a *bonus* that its indigenous round that will hopefully give Yaz that 1% extra push.

Actually the post I was replying to (and others) did indicate that they thought Yarran should be left in the side because it is Indigenous round.

Of course it'll be great if the Indigenous boys got an extra push out of it - the reason I made the point though is because the line of thinking I was replying to really defeats the meaning behind Indigenous round.

Perhaps it comes across as being overly sensitive, however it is an issue I feel strongly about and got sick of reading 'he'll be kept in because it is Indigenous round' - the round is certainly not about gifting free rides to Indigenous players, and implying that a team would need to do this is disrespecting the talents of Aboriginal players like I said earlier.

i'd add Jamieson and Thornton to your list of players to be dropped ..we can't go on losing like we did last week without swinging the axe.......oh wait ..we won by 51 points:eek:

For starters, if you are going to highlight my post and include an embarrassed smile to suggest I don't know I'm talking about, at least reply to my reasoning behind each suggested change so we at least know you have some knowledge yourself.

Secondly, we faced a very depleted Collingwood side last week, so a 51 point margin does not necissarily mean changes should not be made.

Thirdly, if you want to single my post out, than at least check to see I havent given an updated opinion - that first post was posted straight after the game, but after time to think I later said in this thread I would make these changes:

IN: Fisher, Houlihan
OUT: Yarran, Browne

If you think those two suggestions requires a :eek:, thats fine - I disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

RD 9: Adelaide vs Carlton Pre-match discussion & changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back