AFLW Rd 9 Essendon vs Richmond Indigenous Round. 26/10 8:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The first shot on goal for us, Yassir 30 out slight angle. She’d probably kick that 8/10 times
Kb x2 snap and bounce away (unlucky)
Kb check side, should’ve been an easy left snap 10min out
Not as bad as gifting a free directly in front for not giving ball to the umpire , knew that was a costly ,y goal
And then those two goals one after the other.
That’s a six goal difference.
I think they where lucky to be as close, we’re a better side I reckon.
Thought Gabby and Miller where good.
The Issy Bacon tackle on Clarke was awesome, Ford did some good rundown tackles.
Where rooted if Sheerin goes down.

Grieser needs to o attack the bloody ball in the air, KB looked dangerous deep but Grieser had a nothing game.

Gonna be tough to bounce back from that sortve heat and effort on a really hard deck (probably) to play a really fast Hawthorn.
Definitely lost Hosking, and Shevlin and Yassir did light training Friday.

The Georgia Gee goal in the third. Graham followed her on a lead too the pocket 25 out and ran on boundary side of her and behind.
Gee turned inside and ran back Graham didn’t m go with her because it was dumb to play a mtr off her and boundary side,Gee ran in and had an easy uncontested shot and goaled.
Terrible.
Not all of it was televised so she didn’t get any criticism but you can work it out watching it.
It’s happened 3 outve the last 4 games and last night it cost us a goal.
Really poor basic mistake and keeps on happening which is worse.
Yeah, it was Hicks manning up Gee and with Graham manning Toogood a little too wide. This probably proved her undoing

Amber Clarke (who cut us up) who had just marked unopposed after Conti let a tackle slip on Cain, waited for Toogood to lead laterally with Gee a couple of metres up the ground.

The problem was Hicks lost touch on Gee when she turned to look at the ball in flight, Gee had slipped back a couple metres and managed to put a block on Graham still trying to get to Toogood for the marking contest that ironically never came.

1729992692051.png

As the kick was short, Hicks actually had a chance to mark it but she had come forward just a little too much, and Gee's pushing block on Graham meant her momentum was the opposite to Gee, and this put Gee metres clear running to goal getting the bobbling ball - end of story for Graham who was then the player well off Toogood and Hicks tried to get back was too far forward to get near gee for a tackle.

The mistake really was more in the beginning with her playing too wide of Toogood, who lets face it, is a bloody smart player. Gee cleverly used Graham!

Last edited:
Another very good game from Sheerin, also thought Miller was the best of our backs. Outside of those 2 I don't think anyone else stood out. Very frustrating game to watch, when we left so much space for Essendon to run into & our poor disposal at times made it so hard for us to get any momentum. Our forwards need a big kick up the arse for lazy defensive efforts & mids were well down on what they are capable of outside of Sheerin. Need to step it up next week before finals, as if we continue with this level of footy we will be bundled out first week of finals with ease.
Think we are making up numbers - we will start to see our significant skill deficit from here on I suspect. bad kicking is bad football and it sums us up atm a little too much.

Not as bad as gifting a free directly in front for not giving ball to the umpire , knew that was a costly ,y goal
Yeah, I hate those, no matter who the team is. It's not a great thing for football. Should really be a decision if the umpire thinks it is a time wasting issue - in that instance the umpire was still running to position, ball given to Poppy to give to umpire so Gabby (was it?) could man up, as the umpire showed a propensity to throw the bloody thing up very quickly all night.

Just think it is bad spirit in the game sometimes and umpires should be allowed to handle it appropriately on case by case basis.

Think we are making up numbers - we will start to see our significant skill deficit from here on I suspect. bad kicking is bad football and it sums us up atm a little too much.
yep the turn overs are what's killing us

also the 2/3's of the game when we didn't go 1 on 1, uncontested possies nearly killed us
if that was Norf we'd have lost by a lot

also the 2/3's of the game when we didn't go 1 on 1, uncontested possies nearly killed us
Yep, we got North in the wet and cold, play that on top of the ground and they are probably 8 goals plus a better side (2 a qtr)

Yeah, I hate those, no matter who the team is. It's not a great thing for football. Should really be a decision if the umpire thinks it is a time wasting issue - in that instance the umpire was still running to position, ball given to Poppy to give to umpire so Gabby (was it?) could man up, as the umpire showed a propensity to throw the bloody thing up very quickly all night.

Just think it is bad spirit in the game sometimes and umpires should be allowed to handle it appropriately on case by case basis.
yeah it was Bec Miller who passed the ball to Poppy Kelly, don't agree with the rule but it's there
saw Miller do the same in another game but it wasn't called, Miller should've known better

Yep, we got North in the wet and cold, play that on top of the ground and they are probably 8 goals plus a better side (2 a qtr)
yep, got lucky that day, Norf gone up another gear this season

i'm not confident in beating Hawks next game, i feel they're too quick for us
they've scored heavily this year, which we seem incapable of doing

definitely this year Hawk's have gone past us (and a few other teams)
they play a free flowing attacking game that we'll struggle to contain

yep, got lucky that day, Norf gone up another gear this season

i'm not confident in beating Hawks next game, i feel they're too quick for us
they've scored heavily this year, which we seem incapable of doing

definitely this year Hawk's have gone past us (and a few other teams)
they play a free flowing attacking game that we'll struggle to contain
It will be interesting to see what sort of a coaching job Ferg and Hampson come up with, because we might well get over run, out possessed and outscored.

Yeah, it was Hicks manning up Gee and with Graham manning Toogood a little too wide. This probably proved her undoing
That’s right.
I went back and watched it.
But Gee didn’t get a block on Graham really. Graham stopped, maybe she wouldnt have caught Gee but you don’t give up and she did.
There’s other things from last night from Graham, I definitely would not have had in the bests.

they turned it over more than us.

I only really watch Richmond just watched the replay; Ellie reigned the tacking frees against in a bit but, still conceded one goal & gets caught trying to evade oppo, Sheerin been great in the middle, Egan a bit average. Usually one of em kicks from a contest to oppo. On the other hand our ball movement by hand was very good.
Essendon game plan was more kick mark, but it don't translate to goals.

The backline was good. Miller was having a blinder. Injured? and free kick gifted them a goal.

we co/should've won.

What I do like is mostly effort over the 4 qtrs. better to have a bad 2nd and 3rd and come home hard.

That’s right.
I went back and watched it.
But Gee didn’t get a block on Graham really. Graham stopped, maybe she wouldnt have caught Gee but you don’t give up and she did.
There’s other things from last night from Graham, I definitely would not have had in the bests.
Absolutely not in the bests, but it was an OK game against a player I would describe as one of the most damaging forwards in the game when fully fit.

On Gee / Graham, it was a definately pushing block, a better defender probably would have absorbed the pushing block from the smaller Gee better. It looked defeated. Was always on the back foot, could have been so much more proactive and no doubt will see the tape tomorrow.

Absolutely not in the bests, but it was an OK game against a player I would describe as one of the most damaging forwards in the game when fully fit.
They do have her in on the app.

Yeah, ok. She was scrambling to catch Toogood and it all fell in a heap.
She does mark them, Toogood.
Makes such a difference especially with the womens game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Rd 9 Essendon vs Richmond Indigenous Round. 26/10 8:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back