Review Review v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking attendance again! I was in awe at how many Gold Coast supporters were there, it put us to shame. Some of the poor umpiring would not have happened if we had a bigger (at games) and more vocal supporter group.

There were about 50 GC supporters there tops....and your suggesting home crowd umpiring is OK so long as it favours us?? Righto.

The 15 supporters they have were putting in a better show than we were.

Maybe it was just my shock that any existed, that they would show up and that they would be vocal!

We were up in the Moorabbin wing on level 3 and the first quarter you could have heard a pin drop. Church would be more rowdier than that. It had zero atmosphere as the dome seems to when the crowds are small. It got a bit better later on and the crowd made a bit more noise. The umpires don't seem to have a crowd bias when in Victoria. Although now the AFL have a financial investment in Geelongs stadium rebuild the they seem to get preferential umpiring.

The ladder disagrees
Spot on.

Against the sides 11-18 on the ladder we are 6-0.

Against the rest we are 1-5, with the win being against GWS. If we had of lost against GWS we would be in 10th place, and would have won against every side below us and lost against every side above us.

Say all you want about all the upsets across the competition, but when it comes to Saints it is pretty clear where we are at. In fact, you could accuse us of being fairly consistent this year. I am ok with that, as we compete hard, tackle hard, and nearly upset a few sides above us (cats and eagles) whilst also beating GWS. Our shortcoming are obvious and bloody frustrating, but hey, it is what it is.

Thank god the silk from Billings and Sinclair has kicked on this year, otherwise our execution skills would have me joining the many others who have a melt every 2nd week

Spot on.

Against the rest we are 1-5, with the win being against GWS. If we had of lost against GWS we would be in 10th place, and would have won against every side below us and lost against every side above us.

Say all you want about all the upsets across the competition, but when it comes to Saints it is pretty clear where we are at. In fact, you could accuse us of being fairly consistent this year. I am ok with that, as we compete hard, tackle hard, and nearly upset a few sides above us (cats and eagles) whilst also beating GWS. Our shortcoming are obvious and bloody frustrating, but hey, it is what it is.

Thank god the silk from Billings and Sinclair has kicked on this year, otherwise our execution skills would have me joining the many others who have a melt every 2nd week

I think some of Webster's kicks are like laser beams compared to others that have played that role.

I think as each week passes, it becomes far more clear that our main issue is lack of on-field class through the midfield. Yesterday was another example of an opposition team putting hard work into Jack Steven, but also Seb Ross this time, & it hurt us quite a bit through there. Love the way the backline is functioning - a big tick for mine. Midfield (especially spread & defensive stoppages) & forward (set up & structures) still needs a lot of work.

Hypothetically, adding a bloke like Luke Davies-Uniacke with the Hawks pick, & recruiting Kelly/Whitfield/etc, will go a mile in helping us get up to that next level.

For mine, we're about where we should be. Just wish that these 40-60 point beatings we cop here & there would drop to more competitive 20-30 margins

There were about 50 GC supporters there tops....and your suggesting home crowd umpiring is OK so long as it favours us?? Righto.

It is obvious that umpires react to the supporters and as per usual there were decisions (hands in the back against Roo and many dropping the ball calls) that didn't go our way but would have for a more vocal bunch of supporters.

Not suggesting that we need to have a crowd that can sway umpires to false decisions, just reward us where it's warranted.

It's basically a mirror image of last season......

I think as each week passes, it becomes far more clear that our main issue is lack of on-field class through the midfield. Yesterday was another example of an opposition team putting hard work into Jack Steven, but also Seb Ross this time, & it hurt us quite a bit through there. Love the way the backline is functioning - a big tick for mine. Midfield (especially spread & defensive stoppages) & forward (set up & structures) still needs a lot of work.
For mine, we're about where we should be. Just wish that these 40-60 point beatings we cop here & there would drop to more competitive 20-30 margins

Last season they were 80 - 100 pts, so at least we're moving in the right direction!
But we cannot afford any more of these for the rest of the season.

I thought the Saints delivery into the forward line was much better, which is reflected by the high number of scores. But the clear problem is that their goal kicking accuracy is reaching farcical levels. We know it could cost them a finals berth, so it is critical that they rectify it ASAP.

Hypothetically, adding a bloke like Luke Davies-Uniacke with the Hawks pick, & recruiting Kelly/Whitfield/etc, will go a mile in helping us get up to that next level.

Fix the midfield and you fix the forward line.

Fix the goal kicking and we are unbeatable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also I know it may be tempting to put Billings to a wing, but he must stay as a drifting half forward. His delivery into the 50 is truly exceptional, as is demonstrated by his high score involvements. The one that stood out to me was when he hit Roo on the chest a few inches from the goal line. He kicked a ball 50m at the exact right spot within a few inches, and exactly the right speed.

Also I know it may be tempting to put Billings to a wing, but he must stay as a drifting half forward. His delivery into the 50 is truly exceptional, as is demonstrated by his high score involvements. The one that stood out to me was when he hit Roo on the chest a few inches from the goal line. He kicked a ball 50m at the exact right spot within a few inches, and exactly the right speed.
Was that the one with Roo running back towards the line? I actually thought he sharked a goal from Billings and that was going to go through. Didn't think Billings had any intention of a pass if it's the one I'm thinking of...

No way, not buying it.

Jack was definitely going for the goal (which it would have been too)

;)

Shocking attendance again! I was in awe at how many Gold Coast supporters were there, it put us to shame. Some of the poor umpiring would not have happened if we had a bigger (at games) and more vocal supporter group.

Some bays at the Coventry End where the GC cheers squad were sitting were made GA for the day so a lot of people at that end would have been Saints supporters.

Last edited:
Some bays at the Coventry End where the GC cheers squad were sitting were made GA for the day so a lot of people at that end would have been Saints supporters.
Our cheer squad end was very vocal. A few lads had some great songs going for individual players which was good to hear. Unfortunately they went to the bar at 3 qtr time and missed the last

I want Brayden Fiorini, he's going to be a jet. Played about 9 games and averages a heap of possessions including a couple over 30 and is first or second in effective disposals for rising stars. He must have done his time up at Goldy by now, offer pick 3 and a second rounder for him and Hall as a combo.

Our cheer squad end was very vocal. A few lads had some great songs going for individual players which was good to hear. Unfortunately they went to the bar at 3 qtr time and missed the last

Yes, our cheer squad end was good. I was on the opposite 50 so I could hear them but couldn't quite make out the words.

Staggering to hear criticisms of structures that produced 33 scoring shots. I know most are off Richo but that's just looking for excuses to give him a clip but all it does is make you look silly.

Should've been a 50+ point thumping so I'm happy with the result.

Billings, Sinclair, awesome.

Stevens' contested ball form has really dropped off.

Dunstan ok. 9 contested is nice but that's a bad game for Steele.

Now just on the Suns...what's Fiorini's contract situation?? He has some serious class about him. I think Kelly is a long shot for now so we should have plenty of cash to throw around to guys like him to bring them home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Review v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back