Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v North Friday 7th April 4.20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if these tickets actually provide entry into the game?
My concern is that they reserve a seat, but might don't not give a barcode as you have to scan your membership in order to enter the stadium.
Can anyone verify this?

I'm just hoping that we bank another 4 points whilst seeing some semblance of sustainable game style. Need to be more fired up than last week. Would be nice for Harry to get heaps of opportunities and gain some goal kicking confidence. A solid team effort should get the job done and give us a comfortable victory.

Nice test for Weiters this week against Larkey.

Yep sure is for Larkey.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Full house 🏡
Great news, great for the game and North’s pockets…

The Western WhingeDogs should have no reason to complain now given they never sold out Good Friday when they played on this fixture.

Hopefully we and North can make this a permanent arrangement.

Last edited:
AFL reserve seating has sold out for the Carlton vs North game. Great result for the Good Friday game and the AFL in general.

Hopefully it’s packed out with mainly navy blue, but I genuinely mean it when saying that it’s good to see the North supporters up and about.

I also note that Marvel is introducing Amazon’s ‘The Runner’ / ‘Just Walk Out’ technology for checkout-free purchases.

Fingers crossed it means they are better equipped to handle the crowd and we’re not waiting 20+ minutes for a beer or bite to eat, and consequently, won’t miss any of the combined 10+ goals that Harry and Charlie will be kicking.

GO BLUES!

Last edited:
I am a strong believer in 1 ruck being the optimal setup but have no issue with Pitto and TDK working in tandem for this one.

At Marvel I reckon the need for that additional runner is less than say at the G.

The case for the 2 ruck setup would be much stronger if Pitto/TDK (or ideally both) could contribute in the forward line).

Big wraps for the young fellows (Dutchy and Cow). But just an observation and appreciate some comments

I felt the Dwarfs (GWS) really piled on some pressure against us on Saturday, and quite a few players got the fumbles, Cowan on a couple of occasions was one, got caught with the ball or struggled to deal with the heat.

First thought was he might need to get some composure through the twos, but…..

3 games in, maybe the MC will persevere, plenty of others werent clean with the ball, not like we have a half bank flanker dominating in the twos that doesn’t shît the bed at times

Thoughts??
Conditions maybe a little worse than we could see only from TV, at times ball handling looked a bit slippery and the ground conditions weren’t great by the eye from the earlier reserves game, maybe the supporters who were actually there at the ground could give a better description/opinion…

Pressure was definitely a factor with some of our poor decisions and actions…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TV watcher so I'm sure I'm missing finer points but this is my layman's take:

I did read something from an "in the know poster" who had had a conversation with someone connected to the club who said our F50 entries are quite often not the plan but a number of players have found it hard to stop the long bomb. Having said that I would imagine an opposition team forcing boundary play (ie slower ball movement) and applying hard pressure on the ball carrier is going to naturally create more chaotic delivery and less "easy" opportunities for our key forwards.

So can't say I've seen anything shiny and new forward of centre and so far we haven't had the opportunity to fully utilise our much vaunted key forwards to full effect in terms of scoring but to the above, oppo coaches don't sit still and will have strategies in place to nullify their affect.

Defensively from what I've seen so far our structure is better for longer and I'm sure an increased work rate is part of this, along with some more maturity and on field leadership. Some personal have added to this part of the game plan nicely (Hollands and Acres for sure). Result being harder to score against and no more 4-5 goal run ons which is nice.

Most teams look to the corridor if possible out of D50 but conversely most teams will try to push you wide out of D50 so not a lot of dark art applied there. I'm sure the instruction is play safe unless you see an opening (need to have players who know when to back themselves in and pull the trigger aka Williams sigh) and once again this is really about gut running to make space and creating overlap, making a choice quickly and delivering. Otherwise It's down the line to a target with numbers at the drop.

One area I believe we're a bit under in is delivery by foot, we don't have very many elite field kicks and we do have a lot of good average kicks, the other crucial layer being the decision making piece.

Not a finished product at all but more experience with Vossy's way, improving on field leadership from senior heads and some astute drafting/recruiting has definitely made us better.

The wins may have appeared underwhelming so far but the three teams we have played are quality sides with plenty of talent.

I would ideally like to see a bit of statement on the scoreboard this weekend but doesn't matter who you are, if you're off by a few percent you can get rolled.

“Not a whole lot of method when we’re going forward” M Voss, 01-Apr-23

Concerning that we can’t put something together over 2 pre-seasons now.

The case for the 2 ruck setup would be much stronger if Pitto/TDK (or ideally both) could contribute in the forward line).

No doubt but we know neither can do so effectively. That won't change with Pitto and I have my doubts with TDK.

Zurhaar is and always has been a quality player (not obscure at all)

Paul Curtis is the one we should be worried about

Newman to Zurhaar is the correct matchup.

Not at all worried about Curtis, in the same way I wasn't particularly worried about Daniels last week. Not a bad footballer but defensive systems should contain his influence.

No, Cripps should stay far away from the ruck. We nullify one of our greatest assets with him part-timing in the ruck.
I'd be just expecting Crippa to reduce North's ruck influence and then hit the ground ball contest like he already does, blocking and contesting is his game.
I'm totally confident of winning this week, games against North, Hawks and WC are the ones to experiment a little with.

The Western WhingeDogs should have no reason to complain now given they never sold old Good Friday when they played on this fixture.

Hopefully we and North can make this a permanent arrangement.
I think it’s sometimes just purely good luck and timing with clubs at any particular time, i like the idea that our two clubs that are hosting it this year both are democratically adjacent to the Hospital…

Carlton on/off field are now in a very good position who are pulling in huge crowd numbers every week, have been standing up against the top teams from last season and can usually play an exciting brand of footy that has the fans and strong tv numbers watching…

North have generally been a team that frustratingly has continuously caused us a lot of trouble for many years, hopefully it’s a good quality game and we do enough to put them away bank another 4 points…

Bulldogs will have to wait their turn…

I think it’s sometimes just purely good luck and timing with clubs at any particular time, i like the idea that our two clubs that are hosting it this year both are democratically adjacent to the Hospital…
Carlton on/off field are now in a very good position who are pulling in huge crowd numbers every week, have been standing up against the top teams from last season and can usually play an exciting brand of footy that has the fans and strong tv numbers watching…
North have generally been a team that frustratingly has continuously caused us a lot of trouble for many years, hopefully it’s a good quality game and we do enough to put them away bank another 4 points…
Bulldogs will have to wait their turn…

Very happy for The Dogs to have their own annual public holiday marquee game (probably against The Doggies] but I think North vs Us should have happened from the start. Regardless, given the game is a sell out and likely big TV ratings, reckon that fixture is here to stay

Very happy for The Dogs to have their own annual public holiday marquee game (probably against The Doggies] but I think North vs Us should have happened from the start. Regardless, given the game is a sell out and likely big TV ratings, reckon that fixture is here to stay
If they’re good games and strong crowds then it all takes care of itself, personally like this game to be a permanent fixture going forward…

“Not a whole lot of method when we’re going forward” M Voss, 01-Apr-23

Concerning that we can’t put something together over 2 pre-seasons now.

Yes, generally speaking we don't seem to be as efficient or effective as some other teams going forward of centre at the moment but to take the Richmond game as an example, they had 48 more inside 50's yet couldn't convert any of them so we're not alone.

Fitness levels have escalated pressure on the ball carrier to the point where unless you get a very clean run out of the centre or a clear run on turn over it's not an easy look inside 50.

However still an advocate of targeted kicks rather than just bang it on the boot as the default.

Is Pittonet quietly one of our most important players, structurally?

In rd 1 when TDK played by himself as solo ruck he looked miles off it, and we lost clearances & tie Contested possession, both of which are usually a weakness for Richmond. Since coming back in TDK has looked amazing playing in the tandem and we've smashed the contested possessions and are 50-50 clearances with the loss being to Geelong, also one of the best clearance teams in the comp and have been for years so no shame there.

Then think back to last yr, we got off to the riproaring start and dominate everyone in clearances, as did Cripps who was on record Brownlow pace. Then Pitto gets injured and our clearances/CPs fall way, though we still have it as a strength, just not as it was prior. Cripps fell from his lofty heights to just being a good player. Then Pitto comes back in, even while playing not 100%, our clearances & CPs improved and Cripps regained early season form and finished off his Brownlow run.

Lots of talk about the 2 ruck setup and while I think it's a worthy discussion, one thing that can't be ignored is how much better we seem to play with Pittonet in the side. TDK hasn't shown he's capable of solo rucking just yet and has shown his best is when he can be used in tandem so his explosiveness utilised in smaller hits rather than a 4 qtr grind nullifying it. So TDK is better with Pitt in the team, and our overall clearance/CP work is better with him in the team.

He might be a limited player in a lot of ways and isn't exactly an exciting player in the side but he does seem to have quite the impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back