AFL Autopsy RND 4: Dons Demolished

Remove this Banner Ad

System was good in the first. Once they went man on man our lack of 'edge' individually was completely exposed.
We also failed to exert any scoreboard pressure when we were well on top. Then we lack concentration in the last ten minutes of the 2nd, leaking easy goals.

Composure under pressure is one of our weakest skills.

I don't think we change the rucks until Wright is available again but IMO I'd be dropping Draper before Goldy. I love Sam, but he's at the point in his career now where the flashy s**t is no longer an excuse for not having the fundamentals right. Sick of watching him try to play million dollar football with $10 in his wallet.
Yeah it’s an interesting call. Draper has been the great ruck hope and shown plenty but might just need to be reset with more forward craft as a deep forward relieving ruck only.

The biggest takeaway for me is that our stoppage craft is still horrible and we carry far too many players that ball watch and get sucked into the contest rather than holding their width to cover their man. We will always look like a slow team when we're forever chasing opponents because they read the play better than we did. Rozee and JHF are brilliant players but Rozee's second quarter was handed to him on a plate - his direct opponent wasn't even in frame for the two goals.

Won the hitouts convincingly, 34-23

Lost centre clearances 19-6. That is an all-time hammering

Doesn’t really matter what happens from there, back or forward.

Tonight is squarely on the midfield.

Hobbs had a shocker

Perkins off with a hammy

Setterfield was meh, won a bit of the footy

Caldwell did SFA, couldn’t win the footy

Duursma the same, though he’s just a flighty wingman anyway

Merrett was just okay (by his standards) and we can’t do much unless he dominates

Parish was poor.

Our midfield is just so shallow. Merrett, Parish, Setterfield, Hobbs. They’re the only true mids in there tonight.

Durham out

Shiel out

I don’t know exactly what Caldwell is, I don’t think the coaches do either, but I don’t think he’s a ball winning mid. Maybe hes a tagger, or a wing, or a HFF.

Duursma is a bit of a linking wingman

Perkins isn’t a mid and we haven’t developed him as one

We have a lot of players who are neither KPPs or mids. A lot of them out there tonight. Poor selection, poor list, superstars like Merrett can cover it a bit when they’re dominant, when they’re not, we’re exposed.

Hobbs had a shocker

Perkins off with a hammy

Merrett was just okay (by his standards) and we can’t do much unless he dominates

Parish was poor.

Our midfield is just so shallow. Merrett, Parish, Setterfield, Hobbs. They’re the only true mids in there tonight.

Durham out

Shiel out

I don’t know exactly what Caldwell is, I don’t think the coaches do either, but I don’t think he’s a ball winning mid. Maybe hes a tagger, or a wing, or a HFF.

We have a lot of players who are neither KPPs or mids. A lot of them out there tonight. Poor selection, poor list, superstars like Merrett can cover it a bit when they’re dominant, when they’re not, we’re exposed.
Spot on.

The reality is we have built lists without elite talent or elite athleticism for years now - not sure I’ve ever seen it so starkly shown up as it was tonight.
I noticed in the first game we played them last year how fast they looked - I thought Martin was quick but several of their players seemed to have him for speed in that match. We lack two way runners (part to do with athleticism and part with IQ) and when Wright comes back in our forward line will be even more unbalanced, hopefully it doesn't rob Harry of how he is doing atm.

Effort wasn’t the issue tonight. We had more of the ball and easily out tackled them. Centre bounce was diabolical and the method going forward was horrific. You would’ve thought all team meeting would’ve centered around not aimlessly bombing to port key backs when we are playing without a true key forward, yet we just continued to burn team mates on the lead and opportunities to score when we had players out due to players not being able to be composed with ball in hand. Roberts has to come in, is a genuine ball user. Can’t be giving hind games over him.
Effort, skill & application was after qtr time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coach looked like he was struggling to hold the anger in. Not sure if that’s a positive or negative.

Hobbs had a shocker

Perkins off with a hammy

Parish was poor.

Durham out

Shiel out

Hobbs was horrible and played like a someone who cracked the shits he played off the bench - he was petulant & did not chase!

Hobbs was horrible and played like a someone who cracked the shits he played off the bench - he was petulant & did not chase!
been apparent in all his games this season, he's very limited in his ability to play i think. too small and his disposal is rubbish

When the best teams bring it we tend to lose it.

So many peripheral players. No impact from any of our ‘impact’ players other than Gresh early. Stringer, Draper, Redman, Langford, Hind as sub - all insipid for the most part.

Where was the intensity after kicking goals? The next centre clearance went to Port and then usually a goal.

We demonstrated that we are likely to remain in that horrid limbo of mediocrity for a while yet and are at risk of becoming even more of a laughing stock if we can’t back up this ‘edge’ mantra.

I want to balance it with positives but they’re hard to come by. Good intent early and Gresh showed a bit. McKay is a big win for us. Jones is doing the right things. Duursma is winning me over. Merrett refuses to be peripheral when everyone else is. Martin is finding the ball (is it to the benefit of our structure though?), Cox has another full game behind him… meh… uninspiring positives overall.

When we win, even against the better teams the less pressure in games means we’re a chance. Youre spot on. When the pressure is on, we turn to water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walked into AO quite upbeat and thought we were a genuine chance after a positive opening 3 weeks. First quarter got a tick apart from a few missed opportunities. But after that it was just a debacle. Rozee, Butters and JHF just did as they pleased walking it out of the centre unopposed.

Back to the drawing board we go.

When we win, even against the better teams the less pressure in games means we’re a chance. Youre spot on. When the pressure is on, we turn to water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frustratingly, Q4 v Saints suggested we could handle the pressure and tough it out. 3 quarters tonight suggest not.

Comedy Central Lol GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 4: Dons Demolished

Remove this Banner Ad

Back