AFL Autopsy RND 9: Chewed up by the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone mentioned this during the week and it is a huge thing for us moving forward but we lack match winners, guys who say come with me.

Even Merret as good and under appreciated as he is, doesn't strike me as someone who clubs fear, ditto Parish.

Look at Brisbane tonight and Joe won the game for them, Neale was the difference in the midfield, Andrews down back. Big O held his own in the ruck and probably almost took the points. Cameron had a down day but forms a pretty potent front 6 with Z.Bailey, Rayner McCarthy alongside him and if Neale is well held, Dunkley, Zorko &/or McCluggage will get you

We don't have any where near that depth in our group of players who could be match winners, difference makers. Stringer, yeah/. Draper, could be. Redman could be and is close to being one. That is it from tonights game imho

Feels pretty similar to last week. First half was really good but when they turned it on we just couldn’t go with them.

Skill errors by hand and dump kicks down the line continue to make life hard for ourselves.

A fortnight ago I was feeling optimistic about Dreamtime but that seems to fading by the week.
Me too.
I'm going but I wish I wasn't...

Interesting that the commentators had a dip at us for being a bit flat in the 3rd quarter.

I’d be flat too if I was that unfit and the opposition was running away from me and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

For so called ‘expert comments’ it’s almost as if no one has been paying attention for the last 20 years.

We must leak more marks inside defensive 50 than any other team in the comp. Felt like Lions would have had over 15 tonight. We would have struggled to take 6 (cb* looking up stats Lore)

Further to that and something been spoken about more but the lack of marks from our runners let alone our big men is appalling.

Second half went kind of how I expected the whole game to go heading into the match.

Growing body of evidence that we just cannot run.
As the season goes on we are running out less and less of the game, and the drop off isn't just a little less pressure it is totally catastrophic 7 goal runs going against us, with guys unable to break into a jog.

Scott though is showing that he will bring a method each week specific to opposition which is a great sign.

Fingers crossed we can get some games into some of the future guys and guys coming back from injury.

we need someone somewhere on the ground to be taller than their direct opponent
And when we are we don't mark the ****ing thing anyway. Our inability to mark it and prevent the opposition from marking it is truly horrendous and we will never get anywhere until it is fixed...
It was piss poor tonight.

Someone mentioned this during the week and it is a huge thing for us moving forward but we lack match winners, guys who say come with me.

Even Merret as good and under appreciated as he is, doesn't strike me as someone who clubs fear, ditto Parish.

Look at Brisbane tonight and Joe won the game for them, Neale was the difference in the midfield, Andrews down back. Big O held his own in the ruck and probably almost took the points. Cameron had a down day but forms a pretty potent front 6 with Z.Bailey, Rayner McCarthy alongside him and if Neale is well held, Dunkley, Zorko &/or McCluggage will get you

We don't have any where near that depth in our group of players who could be match winners, difference makers. Stringer, yeah/. Draper, could be. Redman could be and is close to being one. That is it from tonights game imho
I’m hoping that Martin and Perkins can go to the next level and be match winners too. They show glimpses but fade in and out of the game. I think they have the potential though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper needs to be clunking more.
His eyes aren't on the ball during pack mark attempts. Just throws his arms up. That's why they rarely stick despite often getting two hands to it. Wright used to be the same before it clicked for him last year.

With all the injuries we have we really need to see if players should be on our list.

Great time to pump at least a few games into Byran, Baldwin (def), wanganeen. Voss/Montgomerie

If they can't get a game now than really what is there future role on our list.

Dont think much will change with this club whilst dodo is around. We no longer get beat up around the contest but instead we get beat up in the air now.

Not surprising when your list managers M o is skinny flankers, undersized mids and a lack of elite talent/skills.

Even the talls we have drafted not sure any were drafted on being a hyper competitive power forward/back.

We must leak more marks inside defensive 50 than any other team in the comp. Felt like Lions would have had over 15 tonight. We would have struggled to take 6 (cb* looking up stats Lore)

Further to that and something been spoken about more but the lack of marks from our runners let alone our big men is appalling.
If you look up the stats you would have a lot more credibility

Inside 50s (IF) against (in the second table): Essendon are 2nd highest after West Coast

Draft vanilla and play vanilla.

Comment on match winners is absolutely spot on.
Stringer is probably the only one we have who might blow a game open and he tends to leave that for the downhill tracks these days.

Too many either drop their heads or just look bereft of answers when the chips are down.

They had a lot more marks inside 50 but they mainly did low passes to their forwards advantage. We mostly bombed it onto our guys heads. This is has been going on for a very long time and is the next thing to remedy. Really liked Zerks aggression in the air. Hobbs' question mark at draft time from memory was his kicking but that is no problems. Not sure where the lightning hands/tap ons/one touch against Melbourne went.

And when we are we don't mark the ******* thing anyway. Our inability to mark it and prevent the opposition from marking it is truly horrendous and we will never get anywhere until it is fixed...
It was piss poor tonight.
probably because they're playing out of position against multiple blokes as tall as they are

When the ball is in the opposite forward half for most of the game even the best defenders in the league will be making mistakes.

Second half went kind of how I expected the whole game to go heading into the match.

Growing body of evidence that we just cannot run.
As the season goes on we are running out less and less of the game, and the drop off isn't just a little less pressure it is totally catastrophic 7 goal runs going against us, with guys unable to break into a jog.

Scott though is showing that he will bring a method each week specific to opposition which is a great sign.

Fingers crossed we can get some games into some of the future guys and guys coming back from injury.
if we are genuinely intending to learn about our list as a priority this year then I think we have enough data on a few of them at this point

Draft vanilla and play vanilla.

Comment on match winners is absolutely spot on.
Stringer is probably the only one we have who might blow a game open and he tends to leave that for the downhill tracks these days.

Too many either drop their heads or just look bereft of answers when the chips are down.

Even the players we have brought in over the years has resulted in us being a B grade team.

Caldwell = role player
Shiel = role player (maybe a bit better but not the match winner we paid a price for)
Weidemann = role player

the evidence over the years continues. Throw enough darts and you will hit a bullseye which we got with Wright but that is it.

if we are genuinely intending to learn about our list as a priority this year then I think we have enough data on a few of them at this point

Wont stop Dodo from keeping them for at least 5 years until we can discard them completely into the AFL scrap heap with 0 trade capital

They had a lot more marks inside 50 but they mainly did low passes to their forwards advantage. We mostly bombed it onto our guys heads. This is has been going on for a very long time and is the next thing to remedy.

With Scott and Caracella there, I don’t really understand why it’s not being worked on. To be honest, maybe it’s just not translating from training to games.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 9: Chewed up by the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back