Autopsy Roast & toast R22 vs GWS & changes for R23 vs Hawthorn

Best vs Giants

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
for me this year will be remembered for the year in which field kicking was king and put in the spotlight and the less skilled exponents of that skill were exposed
like theyd never been exposed before...enuff said,we have 3 maybe 4 elite players by foot,if we cant increase that to 8-10 then dont worry about it being about us,no side in this comp the way its geared will have a hope in hell tossing up only a handfull of elite kickers of the ball week in week out.

AGREE THERE MATE, BUT WHY ARE WE EASILY ALLOWING FOR

"PLAYERS TO hit the target and so on"???????

The reality is that our coaching department were too stubborn to adapt and incompetent to counteract the rule changes by devising a suitable game plan. The reality is we were trash in the guts all year and blokes on big pay packets declined so rapidly with form. Father time has caught up with us and we were basically too slow around the guts and bc of this failed to even do the basic thing of manning up on our opponents. The Suns game was our wake up call that we need to bring in some quality next year as our legends are done.
I remember a block of games earlier in the year where there was a definite change to a chip mark style. Did work and we went back to service as normal.
I agree I don’t think our old style of defence zone style set up works any more and this is where the big change needs to happen in the off season.
Teams too easily handball or chip their way through that now.
Also our chaos into the forward line doesn’t work. The ball gets cleaned up too easily and straight back up the field.
Add to this the centre clearances and we did have much of a chance against the top teams.
A few tweaks and some cattle back next year can’t write us off for one more tilt, but we need to be looking and the rebuild of the team for 3-5 years time now or we will be in for a long haul in the bottom half.

Compounded by our weakness at stoppages. Hopefully Soldo comes back ok. We can’t go forward with Nankervis never getting a hand to the ball like last night. Consecutive goals straight out of the middle, on two occasions.
I don't think Nankervis is the reason for our clearance deficiency,he and mumford had a pretty even contest i would,most of their centre cleances wernt clean hit outs to advantage,most are neutral contests and then would would just walk the ball out of the centre,with our players either ball watching or too many getting sucked in to the contest and then watch the ball spill out to their outsiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t been this excited about a trade/draft period in a while
Gonna be massive for the club

The boys haven’t had a full pre season in a long time either I think the time off and a proper break will do the world of good for the playing group and coaching staff
This time of year used to be the most exciting time of year! I can't wait, we'll be very busy

This time of year used to be the most exciting time of year! I can't wait, we'll be very busy
Especially after last year where we did basically nothing

We only picked up Ryan and Rioli so this year its gonna be massive and I can feel it’s been in the planning by the club for a number of years

I don't understand the Garth hate, let's face it he didn't have much help down back when your leaders act and play like muppets.
Low hanging fruit. He looks awkward and is playing as a number 1 or 2 defender when he should be a number 3, particularly at this early stage of an AFL career.
Not to say he is a 200 gamer, but as normal on here people like to overstate everything.

Perfect storm.
Head coach scandal, losing important assistant coaches, rule changes specifically designed to short circuit our playing style, and serious inuries to key players at critical times.
On top of being hunted as reigning back to back premiers and the wear and tear of four years at the pointy end.
No surprises this season ended with a whimper, not a bang.
But something tells me, we ain't done yet.

Why is taboo to question Dimma on This board?
3 times premiership coach but he had some bloody amazing people around him to achieve this.
There is no 'i' in Team so why don't others see that without the help of others he wouldn't have achieved this.
No AFL team has a coach that does it all without assistants do they?
We all know Dimma needs good assistant coaches.
I don’t quite get how everyone expected them to make wholesale changes to our game plan during the season with injury issues added on top of that?
They now have an off season to address all of that. Yes look at the assistant coaches and see if they are the best available or if we need some new ones in.
What is the rush to push Dimma out the door? Is it that there are better coaches available to us?

We have been a mile off the pace all season? Realistically we played what maybe 2 or 3 good games and a couple of halves.

Time to regroup and load up for next year, club should go full steam ahead whilst we have Lynch Jack Dusty etc.

We really need to fix our midfield big time. It staggered me that we didn’t move Parker into the guts at all and what staggers me more is that they played him forward as that 3rd or 4th tall meanwhile they haven’t been willing to play Caddy in that role who last time played up forward kicked nearly 50 goals and was close to AA.

I think he is contracted for next season and is worth playing up forward.

Might come across as taking the piss here but clearly we need to look long term beyond Jack next season. Lynch and CCJ up forward with Caddy in the forward line? Soldo and Nank in the ruck.

Could Jack play CHB? He’s one of our best footy smarts, Astbury getting on now and we don’t really have any KPD that are ready and up to the standard yet outside of Balta. Shoot me down all you want but just thinking is it worth looking at?

The days of Edwards , Lambert , Graham rotating half forward and mid should be done. Focus on Graham playing in the guts purely and whether it’s RCD or say Mitchell if we went down that path. Edwards to finish career in the forward line and Lambo across half forward where he is best suited.

Compounded by our weakness at stoppages. Hopefully Soldo comes back ok. We can’t go forward with Nankervis never getting a hand to the ball like last night. Consecutive goals straight out of the middle, on two occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At least one of those a shit bounce he couldn’t get to and should have been recalled. Umpires bounces were disgraceful last night. I’m starting to agree with getting rid of it. Perhaps keep it for the opening of each quarter only as a nod to tradition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have been a mile off the pace all season? Realistically we played what maybe 2 or 3 good games and a couple of halves.

Time to regroup and load up for next year, club should go full steam ahead whilst we have Lynch Jack Dusty etc.

We really need to fix our midfield big time. It staggered me that we didn’t move Parker into the guts at all and what staggers me more is that they played him forward as that 3rd or 4th tall meanwhile they haven’t been willing to play Caddy in that role who last time played up forward kicked nearly 50 goals and was close to AA.

Might come across as taking the piss here but clearly we need to look long term beyond Jack next season. Lynch and CCJ up forward with Caddy in the forward line? Soldo and Nank in the ruck.

Could Jack play CHB? He’s one of our best footy smarts, Astbury getting on now and we don’t really have any KPD that are ready and up to the standard yet outside of Balta. Shoot me down all you want but just thinking is it worth looking at?

The days of Edwards , Lambert , Graham rotating half forward and mid should be done. Focus on Graham playing in the guts purely and whether it’s RCD or say Mitchell if we went down that path. Edwards to finish career in the forward line and Lambo across half forward where he is best suited.

Good call on the patchy form .

Apart from 10-15 minutes during druggies game and doggies we’ve really been horrible to watch .

I went to the Anzac eve natch , I left feeling that something was not quite right . Your first thought is usually the right thought !

Looking forward to 2022 . Looking forward to a stress free September and looking forward to Tim Taranto being a tiger in 2022 !

Eat em alive .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

List management is going to be interesting this year. Blair will earn his $$.
Everyone sees it differently but Garth is one of the first I’d delist. He’s not big enough to be s KPD and doesn’t have the skill or attacking flair to play 3rd tall. He looks panicked when he has the ball.
I don’t totally disagree, he will be never be an a grader, but he has played how many games? And not many with the assistance of much experience in the backline. I remember one A Rance looked like a panic merchant early on. It takes some time to find your feet at AFL level.
Garth has a few in front of him for selection which perhaps will stamp his ticket. Might be down to if Astbury around again next year or not if Harth keeps a spot on the list.

for me this year will be remembered for the year in which field kicking was king and put in the spotlight and the less skilled exponents of that skill were exposed
like theyd never been exposed before...enuff said,we have 3 maybe 4 elite players by foot,if we cant increase that to 8-10 then dont worry about it being about us,no side in this comp the way its geared will have a hope in hell tossing up only a handfull of elite kickers of the ball week in week out.
The Dogs are "elite" throwers.

I don’t totally disagree, he will be never be an a grader, but he has played how many games? And not many with the assistance of much experience in the backline. I remember one A Rance looked like a panic merchant early on. It takes some time to find your feet at AFL level.
Garth has a few in front of him for selection which perhaps will stamp his ticket. Might be down to if Astbury around again next year or not if Harth keeps a spot on the list.
Garth neither had the physique, athleticism or skills, even though he does have courage and desperation. Still, I feel his limitations are too great for him to make it

FFs mate how many other players have done the same but they haven't been crucified as he has. He has been singled out simple as that. He paid the price missed the grand final how long do you penalize him for?
Trouble is he came back in the side and did the same thing again.
But agree he has been screwed over. Played as a winger where he is to slow. Should have been played as a third tall early in the year but never happened.
Not sure what the story is behind the 4 walls of Punt Rd, but he seems to be done.

Is anyone else hoping that we tank next week against the Hawks?

Yes. If we cannot mathmatically make the finals. But lets be realistic...

I would be sending a message to the AFL about their rule changes and the SHocking's concocted rules to screw us over and we failed abysmally to adapt for a number of reasons.

Out - Cotchin (Rested), Edwards (Rested), Lynch (Rested), Grimes (Rested), Nank (Rested)
In - Cumberland, Miller, Egg, Naish, Martyn, Ryan

and that's the way I'd list the "outs". All "rested" - Just like Norf did prior to playing us in the Elimination final. Doing it against the Hawks would be perfect, as the AFL openly had discussions with Alistair Clarkson regarding rule changes 10 years ago, and Hardwick may be in a position to advise the AFL further with the RFC advise...

It is far fetched, and won't happen, but my frame of mind this year is not as a sheep to the AFL BS, but as a RAM running full tilt. I can guarantee I won't be watching any more games. I have NEVER been so disillusioned with the state of our game.

BUT - I look forward to what Balme, Benny, Dimma and the Recruiters have in store for 2022.. I have a feeling we will bounce back STRONG with some adjustments.. In the meantime - FU AFL. Our game SHOULD NOT look like Netball or Soccer, but it does, and it sucks.

Geez I feel better now...

Yep. 2 or 3 good games and a few halves. And we still almost made the 8. Doesn't say much about the teams above us. No standout IMHO. Expect a big bounce back response next year.

Smashed by a team allowed to use their sublime foot skills to maximum impact via the new rule. It is a wonder how they are 8th on the ladder tbh, but I guess we make most teams look great lately.

Still a mathematical chance, Dons/WCE lose both, StK/Freo lose one and we're in!!! Although I have more faith in those results than us beating Hawks.
Either put the cue in the rack as Dimma hinted at, or give it one last crack, I will let them decide, wont matter either way judging by the way we are playing atm.

I'll tell you why they were 8th ... injuries.
They've had bucket loads (you just won't see it acknowledged on here by many).

AGREE THERE MATE, BUT WHY ARE WE EASILY ALLOWING FOR

"PLAYERS TO hit the target and so on"???????

The reality is that our coaching department were too stubborn to adapt and incompetent to counteract the rule changes by devising a suitable game plan. The reality is we were trash in the guts all year and blokes on big pay packets declined so rapidly with form. Father time has caught up with us and we were basically too slow around the guts and bc of this failed to even do the basic thing of manning up on our opponents. The Suns game was our wake up call that we need to bring in some quality next year as our legends are done.

Great points, TI - we've had 20-odd weeks to stop bitching about rule changes and come up with a plan to adapt.
Interesting pre-season coming up. No way they can think all of Cotchin, Jack, Edwards, Houli and Astbury can go on. You don't just wake up as a 32-33-year-old in a 27-year-old's body and the signs are there.
And with plenty of battle-wearied bodies, we are slow all over the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back