Autopsy Round 1, 2018: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres has had 30 disposals in 3 of his last 5 games going back to last year. Dude is a swole beast now just play him in the guts ffs.

:goat::goat::goat:
Acres can play anywhere. Midfield, HB. I´d even plonk him at FF for stints. He´s a brilliant overhead mark and deadeye set shot.
Why not leave him one out on his own in the goal square when the other big forwards are having a rest. A bit like what Richmond do with Dusty.

Acres has had 30 disposals in 3 of his last 5 games going back to last year.
30 and a goal in each of those 3 actually.

Played forward quite a bit late in the game which probably cost him the better opportunity to finish the game off strongly.

I thought a lot of the individual performances were pretty solid or better, but the team performance was patchy and mediocre. The whole is less than the sum of the parts at the moment, not sure why. Gameplan looks identical to the last three years so no excuse there. Fingers crossed it all clicks sooner rather than later.

Longy had 15 touches, a goal & 19 pressure acts (only JB & Ross had more PA’s than Long).

Reckon Long needs some self belief - at times he looks like he doesn’t believe he deserves to be out there.

Let’s hope his last quarter gives him a bit of confidence.

I was one that didn't think he should've got a game today, but he did alright and will be in the team next week

I thought it made sense for speed and pressure in the forward half but he exceeded expectations.

Just reckon Paddy needs time at AFL level. I think he will have a good career, but if he is a bust then the only way of knowing is extended run at AFL level.
Insulin normally causes weight gain a bit, as long as he is fit enough (admittedly a concern), I don't really care if he looks a bit mattress gutsesque.

Really pleased with Acres, needs to back it up next week and build consistency this season. I haven't been Stevens' greatest fan but he was very good today.

Goal kicking was generally a lot better which was pleasing.

Overall it seems the same story of the last couple of years. Good endeavour/tackling, clearance work needs to improve, poor forward entries. The bang it long to the hotspot plan worked today as Brisbane were caught out of position.

I'd go in with the same team for next week,pending everybody pulling up OK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Long needs some self belief - at times he looks like he doesn’t believe he deserves to be out there.

Let’s hope his last quarter gives him a bit of confidence.

Agree with this. He passed the responsibility to other teammates a few times today including some hospital handballs (probably bloke calling for its fault). Confidence and belief could do him wonders, will also make him more dangerous around goals.

Just reckon Paddy needs time at AFL level. I think he will have a good career, but if he is a bust then the only way of knowing is extended run at AFL level.
Insulin normally causes weight gain a bit, as long as he is fit enough (admittedly a concern), I don't really care if he looks a bit mattress gutsesque.

Really pleased with Acres, needs to back it up next week and build consistency this season. I haven't been Stevens' greatest fan but he was very good today.

Goal kicking was generally a lot better which was pleasing.

Overall it seems the same story of the last couple of years. Good endeavour/tackling, clearance work needs to improve, poor forward entries. The bang it long to the hotspot plan worked today as Brisbane were caught out of position.

I'd go in with the same team for next week,pending everybody pulling up OK.

I don't care what Paddy looks like, he just needs to pull in a lot of contested marks and convert them. He has no ability to chase a player if they decide to run off him. In the 80s he would have been a gun but offering no defensive side to your forward game means you need to score like Josh Kennedy to justify it. I hope he can do it but he looked miles off today.

We won a round one game, AND the first quarter...isn't that some kind of record?
I think they were saying it's the second time in eight years that we've won our first game.

It was imperative we won today. Need to win next week, too.

I have no idea what most of you were watching. Long was absolutely deplorable. Nothing he did warrants another game next week.

Apart from that, glad we won. Stuv is a gun.

Watched at the ground, and I 100% agree. Long was one of our worst. He was utterly useless for 3 1/2 quarters, and only got into the game when we were getting over the top of brissy toward the end. In comparison, Clarke, with few touches, was much more effective and influential.

Long and Longer out next week.

On a serious note, and I don't have the stats in front of me, but at one stage they scored 4 goals to 1 from clearances.

If there's one area we need to work on, it's this.

Hopefully our mids will back it up next week. I know individual performances are exciting but they need to back up every week.

Obviously Steven got off the leash and great to see.

Those at the game, I take he wasn't tagged? I just hope someone steps up when he is.

Coaching genius to deploy Paddy as a decoy...

Forgot my phone when going to the game snd thank god.

Reading the gameday thread pg 13 and 14 where the melts from supporters who never post st any other time was embarrassing but typical of the sad sack hysterical trolls on gameday.

Anywhoo good win. Great end of first qtr. Brisbane rallied and challenged but from midway through the third we controlled the game and won going away.

Steven is a game changing star. Clicked us into gear in the third.
Armo missed in 2017.
Billings getting better all the time.
Koby justified.
Youngsters. Long was scrappy early but contributed well throughout.
Gresh powers on and on.
Clark. Best debut from a Saint for a long time.
His disposal opens up the field so much and he always makes the correct decision. Really excited we went the 'safe' option.

The forwards worked OK. Paddy ordinary but worked OK with Josh and Skunk.

Scrappy in parts but first game of the year, challenged and won convincingly in the end.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2018: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back