Preview Round 1 2022- Hawks v Roos MCG - Sunday March 20- 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has leg speed that we sorely lack in the back half.
But his speed has been more on the lead as opposed to providing any drive off HB I think whilst we wait for Hall and assuming Corr, Turner and Walker can handle the lock down stuff I think LMac is the best option not as fast by any stretch but he can link up and move the ball

Having Hall in is a massive win but really highlights how badly we need some further options capable of playing the same role at a similar level.
Ideally we have Bonar, Hall, Perez and maybe Goater/Bergman all competing for the spot by season's end.

Turner McKay Corr
LMac Walker Ziebs
Scott Greenwood Stevo
JHF Larkey Thomas
Zurhaar Goldy Mahony
Xerri LDU Simkin

Taylor Powell Lazzaro Young

Sub- Atu

No risk policy with Polec, Bonar, Hall.
Xerri and Goldy to split ruck 50/50.
No room for CCJ for team balance.

B: Ziebs - McKay - Walker
HB:Bonar - Corr - McDonald
C: Stepho - Greenwood - Polec
HF: Tarryn - Larkey - JHF
F: Zuhaar - Goldy - Mahoney
R: Xerri -Simpkin - LDU

Int: CCJ - Taylor - Powell - Scott - Lazzaro (sub)

The reliance on Hall is what clearly exposes our lack of class/drive from our half backs. We haven't had a genuine HBF with good enough skills and pace to hit the targets that need to be hit, and constantly create opportunities. Atley helped us in this regard, but he was thrown around as lockdown, pressure forward, midfielder (for like 2 secs) then went back as a lockdown/occasional HBF. Like, at one point, we sent Boomer back there.

We could plonk midfielders back there to perhaps mitigate the impact of taggers, but it shouldn't be our only option. A really good HBF will be able to intercept, and pass to a running midfielder rather than relying on a contested stoppage/resting mids due to our lack of options. We could chuck some of the mids in there for now, and some in HFF. It will be interesting if Lmac can help in this regard as he has been damaging in this position before. Who knows?

Gonna take a while to sort out that spot because it is our really weak point. (And has been for a long while now)

The reliance on Hall is what clearly exposes our lack of class/drive from our half backs. We haven't had a genuine HBF with good enough skills and pace to hit the targets that need to be hit, and constantly create opportunities. Atley helped us in this regard, but he was thrown around as lockdown, pressure forward, midfielder (for like 2 secs) then went back as a lockdown/occasional HBF. Like, at one point, we sent Boomer back there.

We could plonk midfielders back there to perhaps mitigate the impact of taggers, but it shouldn't be our only option. A really good HBF will be able to intercept, and pass to a running midfielder rather than relying on a contested stoppage/resting mids due to our lack of options. We could chuck some of the mids in there for now, and some in HFF. It will be interesting if Lmac can help in this regard as he has been damaging in this position before. Who knows?

Gonna take a while to sort out that spot because it is our really weak point. (And has been for a long while now)
Definitely a big list hole atm.

Very encouraged by Bergman and goater as a one-two punch in that area in the long term, but that’s going to take a while.

Mate we just drafted Goater and Miller for that spot - they look great

Definitely a big list hole atm.

Very encouraged by Bergman and goater as a one-two punch in that area in the long term, but that’s going to take a while.
Perez looked perfect for the position in those three games he played at the end of that season way back whenever it was...

B: Turner McKay Bonnar
HB: Hall Corr Lmac
C: Sleevo Simpkin Polec
HF: Thomas Zurhaar JHF
F: Mahony Larkey Ford
Fol: Xerri Greenwood LDU

IC: Taylor, JZ, Powell, Goldie

I would pick a smaller faster team given it’s round 1 and the G is a big ground. Sleevo gets a crack but needs a rocket. Hayden for Bonnar if not fit. Scott for Polec likewise. It’s actually still hard to pick a 22 which I think overall is a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am convinced he is a figment of my imagination.
Yeah. Its a bit that way isn't it.

We actually have Bonar, Perez, Atu, Goater, Hayden and Bergman as potential youngish attacking HBFers.

They all have good athleticism, some seem like fantastic kicks. Even Bonar, who seems more like a lockdown type is very athletic and has a very precise boot on him when he wants to use it. Even tho it seems like a drought in that position, over the next couple of years we may end up with three or four gun flankers.

Yeah. Its a bit that way isn't it.

We actually have Bonar, Perez, Atu, Goater, Hayden and Bergman as potential youngish attacking HBFers.

They all have good athleticism, some seem like fantastic kicks. Even Bonar, who seems more like a lockdown type is very athletic and has a very precise boot on him when he wants to use it. Even tho it seems like a drought in that position, over the next couple of years we may end up with three or four gun flankers.
I honestly view Bonar, Atu and Hayden as more genuine lockdown types. The former two have scope to be really solid to decent rebounders. Really rate Atu.

I honestly view Bonar, Atu and Hayden as more genuine lockdown types. The former two have scope to be really solid to decent rebounders. Really rate Atu.
The issues with Hayden's kicking ... maybe a bit beat up but still he has had the odd shit kick. Hayden is very athletic and has a great leap. He definitely has potential in terms of intercepting and running off. But agree generally that Bonar and Atu seem more likely to fill that role.

Atu is the one who really stands out to me in terms of rebound. Just a few things he did were quite spectacular. His ability to run thru traffic, well he's from Fiji (kids in Fiji play touch everywhere these days. In the 70s it was soccer,) grew up playing union/league and was a sevens rep at Australian level iirc so it makes sense that it stands out.

But to me it does stand out. He just moves thru traffic so well I reckon.

Supporters allowed to stand?

B Turner McKay Zieball
HB McDonald Corr Polec
C Scott LDU Powell
HF Stephenson Larkey JHF
F Mahony CCJ Zuurhuar
Foll: Goldstein Thomas Simpkin
Inter: Greenwood, Taylor, Xerri, Lazzaro
Sub: Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad