Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

What's silly is Sicily did nothing wrong. Opening minute of the game he wins a contest and takes an intercept mark but they incorrectly give Essendon a free kick (sicily didn't take another intercept for the game). It also should have been reversed when Gresham pushed him over.

Then The free kick on McGrath his was ridiculous you cannot allow 3 players and more on their way to charge in and hit a player while the ball is dead. Bumps must be within 5 meters of the ball. Sicily just ducked down from those attacking him and McGrath bounced off, he didn't run at him we was attacked and protected himself. Umpires should have paid sicily the free on the first bump.

So in the first minute the umpires paid 6 decisions against Sicily. 1. free against (wrong call). 2. No reversal (wrong call). 3. bump 1 off ball no free (wrong call). 4. Bump 2 no free (wrong call). 5. Bump 3 no free (wrong call). 6. free against for being bumped into (wrong call).
Totally agree. Sadly, at the time I thought that was going to be the end of his day. I just wish playing angry made him go to another level because he has the ability to the be one of the great players that you knew opposition teams didn’t want to poke the bear.

It also worries me that teams can get under his skin knowing that the umpires jump on him at every opportunity and if he’s agitated his performance is normally reduced.

This is where the rest of the team need to step it up. It should be common knowledge, if you go after a hawk, you will get decked by multiples other Hawks.(legally, not punched), set up a fines collection box and enforce some protection.

Footy commentary is littered with good players making stupid comments. Jono Brown is the bloke that said we rorted free agency after picking up Simpkin and Frawley, despite losing Franklin for pick 19. He may have been a good player but he is an average analyst, so spare us the "We should listen to Jono Brown!" BS!
Keep those rose coloured glasses on 👍 just rule out people that have been there and done it, when it suits you and your narrative. Have a look at the bulldogs forwards right now and see how hard they work and attack the contest in the air…q the bullshit excuses….

Only 1 Coleman. Righto.

Might be due to him playing CHF whilst Bradshaw and Lynch played deep and kicked more of their goals.

Tell me - is Roughy overrated?

…..because he only won 1 x Coleman and 2 x All Australians as well

Nope. But I'd argue that Jono Brown is more 'revered' as a footballer than Roughie by the a lot of the footy world.

Brown was as courageous a footballer as we've ever seen, and was clearly a leader of men. As a footballer, he was one of the few protected species who avoided media criticism for down patches throughout his career.

Re: Chol cramping isn't really too concerning. It's round 1 and most players aren't match conditioned yet.

I watched the GC/Crows game as well as bits of the Cats/Saints and both teams with more experienced bodies were cramping up at 3 quarter time. GC/Crows game really opened up in the 3rd quarter as no one could put on a shift they were out playing on fumes.

It was the same with the Bombers yesterday. Both sides looked cooked even after the half time break. They were tough conditions in the heat.

Maybe Lewis was hampered by that 'injury' from training. Played very deep all game which isn't really his forte.

I hope to see him play genuine CHF so we can allow Chol to play as the stay at home FF.

Re: Chol cramping isn't really too concerning. It's round 1 and most players aren't match conditioned yet.

I watched the GC/Crows game as well as bits of the Cats/Saints and both teams with more experienced bodies were cramping up at 3 quarter time. GC/Crows game really opened up in the 3rd quarter as no one could put on a shift they were out playing on fumes.

It was the same with the Bombers yesterday. Both sides looked cooked even after the half time break. They were tough conditions in the heat.
The fact that Weddle was cramping as well I think says a lot.

Nope. But I'd argue that Jono Brown is more 'revered' as a footballer than Roughie by the a lot of the footy world.

Brown was as courageous a footballer as we've ever seen, and was clearly a leader of men. As a footballer, he was one of the few protected species who avoided media criticism for down patches throughout his career.
Agree, Brown generally rated higher than Roughhead when Roughead was the better more versatile player. Jonathan Brown is on a similar teir as Hawkins or Taylor Walker for me. Big key forwards that are very good goal kickers.

Roughhead was a forward, ruck, mid and excelled in all those spots. His career isn't as rewarded due to his achilles injury and cancer. If not for those he'd have another flag or 2 more AA and another coleman.

BigFooty Hawks members.
We haven't had the opportunity now of watching our team in finals for last 8 years.
That's a long time now.
Early days yet granted; but looking at Geelong and Dangerfield saving the day for them yesterday last minute
yet again, does anyone get the nagging feeling with our recruiting policy of last few years, we just don't have
enough superstar A-graders and too many B+ players along all the lines of field? E.g. the ilk
of Frost/Impeys/Hardwicks/Chol etc., who try their best, but no match winner champions? Should we have targeted A-grade KPFs last 2 years? I think Sam was quoted last year as saying our current list is now enough with time to get high into finals? Does anyone
find the overall list lacking champions who can clutch a win last minute, and that we have gone overboard on short midfielders/flank
players?
Nice alias, but you gave yourself up by immediately pumping up your real club.

Keep those rose coloured glasses on 👍 just rule out people that have been there and done it, when it suits you and your narrative. Have a look at the bulldogs forwards right now and see how hard they work and attack the contest in the air…q the bullshit excuses….
Lewis had a bad hip cork last week which obviously limited his mobility.

Are you seriously telling me you've never seen Lewis hit packs hard, or lead up the ground? Seriously???

Frost was great. Not getting enough credit. Thought Wright was going to kick 10 when I saw him line up on him. Good to see all the new guys like Ginni, Chol, D'Ambrosio make a impact. Excited for the year!

Reeves needs to lift. Yet again, offered nothing other than the odd good tap.
Agreed.

Also thought Scrimshaw did a much better defending job keeping Jones pretty quiet.

May not have got much of it himself but Jack minimised the impact of an opposition tall.

Presuming that’s his new focus for the season then he gets a big 👍 from me for rd 1.

Maybe Lewis was hampered by that 'injury' from training. Played very deep all game which isn't really his forte.

I hope to see him play genuine CHF so we can allow Chol to play as the stay at home FF.
All possibilities but after all this time he is yet to string 6 games on end and dominate the completition.
There is a reason he was picked so late in the draft and seen as speculative.
He is getting to an age now where he has to reward the club.

Browny didn't say Lewis was a flat track bully he was just questioning that he was playing too deep and sometimes when as a forward if it isn't going your way you need to lead up to the wing and try and impact a contest.

It's not revolutionary stuff and it's a genuine question. By no means was he being disparaging to Lewis.

Anyone who watches footy knows that Lewis is as traditional of a CHF as it gets. His game for his entire career has revolved around working up the ground and smashing packs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After reading some hot takes immediately after the game, I’m glad I avoided this thread until today.

We lost due to bad goal kicking, and being beaten out of the middle. Every time we settled the game after a centre bounce we were clearly on top, we just couldn’t convert.

First hands at centre bounces often ended up with a fumble/slip with the ball, it absolutely killed us. Sam eluded to it after the game in that we got first hands in the middle more often than the bombers, but somehow got smashed in there.

I’d have HH in for Nash as the tall mid next week, otherwise unchanged with Finn starting the game.

We played quite well, controlled 70% of the game and failed to put them away. The negatives were mostly controllable.

All possibilities but after all this time he is yet to string 6 games on end and dominate the completition.
There is a reason he was picked so late in the draft and seen as speculative.
He is getting to an age now where he has to reward the club.

He could have easily kicked 3 goals today if he kicked straight. He had his opportunities.

Are you seriously telling me you've never seen Lewis hit packs hard, or lead up the ground? Seriously???
I’m not saying that, I’m saying he doesn’t do it enough to be elite. I hope he can because the potential is there, but at this point his body looks pretty fragile…that seems the main perennial excuse for him

J Brown: I'd love to see Mitch Lewis come up and connect himself to the play, just so far away from the ball. He just hasn't been involved, needs to be in more contests Gaz.

1:33:07

https://www.afl.com.au/video/108771...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1710611100001

no arguments here on yesterday's showing. I think perhaps our two big blokes are not at their optimum but we get them to do a job anyway. Also, round one. :shrug:

The conditioning was a wierd one. The general consensus pre season was our sides biggest strength was our running power. Weddle kept going but midfield largely stopped.

Re Chol. He’s 27 and been in afl system for years. Is his tank really that fixable? (Or it he like DGB, just doesn’t really have one?)
At $2.30 a litre, he might struggle to get the most from his engine.

There was a game against St.Kilda last year where he crashed packs and clunked the ball one-grab on several occasions and Dunstall kept saying in commentary how good his hands were. On that day's performance, he was as good a key forward as there is in the league. Then later in the season when we played Carlton and he was terrible and played more like he did yesterday. Good Mitch Lewis could take us a long way; poor to average Mitch Lewis will be a handbrake on what we can achieve, I think.

Some of you getting stuck into Ward and MacKenzie clearly haven't watched George Wardlaw's last 2 games.

Been just as poor or just as inexperienced. Whichever way you want to look at it.

Give young players time, please.
GWS did to him what they do to our young midfielders, let them get sucked in to contest and then hurt them the other way as they arent defensively accountable enough yet

What's silly is Sicily did nothing wrong. Opening minute of the game he wins a contest and takes an intercept mark but they incorrectly give Essendon a free kick (sicily didn't take another intercept for the game). It also should have been reversed when Gresham pushed him over.

Then The free kick on McGrath his was ridiculous you cannot allow 3 players and more on their way to charge in and hit a player while the ball is dead. Bumps must be within 5 meters of the ball. Sicily just ducked down from those attacking him and McGrath bounced off, he didn't run at him we was attacked and protected himself. Umpires should have paid sicily the free on the first bump.

So in the first minute the umpires paid 6 decisions against Sicily. 1. free against (wrong call). 2. No reversal (wrong call). 3. bump 1 off ball no free (wrong call). 4. Bump 2 no free (wrong call). 5. Bump 3 no free (wrong call). 6. free against for being bumped into (wrong call).
It doesn’t matter if he is technically correct - he is a marked man in the eyes of the umpires, and they always pay frees to the person who remonstrates

He is our leader and needs to set a much better example.

This isn’t the first time.

Was wondering if wiz was the logical sub, but they avoided that because of the media howls when that happens
Or they made the call based on who was struggling to move their legs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back