Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

So little toughness displayed in the forward line.
Lewis, Breust and Gunston all playing bruise free.
Watson had no chance in a forward line that didn’t provide any physical presence.

Midfield: WasDuke sick? Because he looked like he didn’t want to be out there.

Newcombe was being tagged by Setterfield who basically followed him everywhere. It was a very good performance by Setterfield both offensively and defensively. Only Worpel compensated through winning clearances (had 10 - next closest was Reeves with 4).

Wanted to see more from the others to cover that area but Nash (was decent in transition), Ward and Mackenzie just weren't physical enough compared to their opponents.

That's a disappointing start to the season. Two sides that looked bottom 6 to me.

The leaders (on field and upstairs) had a poor day. Sicily, Lewis and Newcombe had shockers. Tactically, Mitchell made some blues. Finn, being a very low impact player, was an odd choice as sub. It didn't work: he had no impact at all and in his absence their gun midfielders smashed us all day while freewheeling. Chol was our best tall all day, but was subbed off.

The midfield was poor, outside of Worpel who battled. Absolutely smashed in the clearances.

The positive for the day was that the recruits - Ginnivan, Massimo and Chol - were all good and should improve us as a side if they keep that up.

The forward line looked dangerous and each had their chances - but mostly wasted them.

Essendon are a nothing side. We had plenty of chances, but were not good enough to beat them, which is disappointing.
Maginness as a sub was baffling. We needed a fresh midfielder. Hustwaite anyone?

McKay smashed Lewis. Hats off.

He always has to be fair.

Think the only time Mitch has got the better of McKay is in junktime after a big win.

McKay sucks him into a wrestling match and beats him. If Lewis was to get on his bike he can win the match up.

He didn't want to do that today. Maybe it was instruction? I'm not sure. Thought it was baffling we played Chol more as a CHF than Lewis who is as traditional of a CHF as they get.

Newcombe was being tagged by Setterfield who basically followed him everywhere. It was a very good performance by Setterfield both offensively and defensively. Only Worpel compensated through winning clearances (had 10 - next closest was Reeves with 4).

Wanted to see more from the others to cover that area but Nash (was decent in transition), Ward and Mackenzie just weren't physical enough compared to their opponents.

Credit to Setterfield, he smashed Newcombe today.

I doubt we've had more shots on goal than that in many games in the last 5 years unless it was against the Eagles last year.
28 shots on goal is excellent going when we're so soundly beaten in the centre clearances. Scoring goals matters though.

Other parts of our game held up quite well, Contested possessions, inside 50's, marks inside 50, intercepts, contested marks.

Frustrating to lose when we could've easily applied much more scoreboard pressure early, but at least it's something to build on.

And playing Weddle & Amon in defence instead of the wing where we need more speed.

Yep - I get what he is trying to acheive but we are still in development. You can't be moving your best players around to educate others.

Ambrosio was a good pick up get Amon back on the wing. Weddle strength is high half back / wing don't let the opposition drag him back.

How come our midfielders kept letting them walk through the middle like that?

How many goals did the Bombers score from beyond the 50? With zero pressure.

Really frustrating way to lose.

They had more of the ball and more tackles. We were outworked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also ( and im happy to cop it for saying this because I know it will annoy some)

Its first game. Lets see how the guys who had poor games bounce back .
Lets see how the leaders respond in what I think is a very winnable game next week ( yes the Dees are very gettable )

And you dont get too many score anomalies like we got today , with one side kicking poorly and the other shooting the lights out .

god i wish we had of packed a tagger we could've used, oh i dunno.. against maybe merrett perhaps

That was a bit of a reality check, however, I'm not ready to throw a tantrum and call our entire list plodders as some else are doing.

Brand new forward lines will take a while to gel, and seeing both Chol and Ginni slot a couple of majors in their first game was awesome.

Sicily is such a barometer for our team, and when he is off / gets well held we don't win. Period. However, he wasn't on his own - Scrim had one mark for the game and a handful of possessions. Hardwick had a blinder against langford - as soon as he was taken off him, langford kicked a few. Not a coincidence and probably a mistake from the coaching box.

Midfield was comprehensively beaten. For all those who say Worpel "has a low ceiling" or "won't be in our best 22 in 24", he was easily the best from our team. Never stopped having a crack, easily gathered the most clearences and kicked a goal. Duke had an off game - well down on possessions and impact, and only had the one tackle.

Massimo had a great game and was a smart bit of recruiting - that left boot is lethal, and he works his butt off.

I'm wondering if Lewis needs a different forward coach? He should really be playing similarly to Tom Hawkins but doesn't seem to have the tricks in his kitbag yet. With his size he should really be dominating packs.

Ward and McKenzie will be great players and they'll be better for the run and responsibility. Writing players off in their 2nd/3rd year is pretty lame.

Anyway, getting games into the young lads is great, and can't wait to see our progress along the next couple of seasons. Go hawks!

He always has to be fair.

Think the only time Mitch has got the better of McKay is in junktime after a big win.

McKay sucks him into a wrestling match and beats him. If Lewis was to get on his bike he can win the match up.

He didn't want to do that today. Maybe it was instruction? I'm not sure. Thought it was baffling we played Chol more as a CHF than Lewis who is as traditional of a CHF as they get.
Why don’t we see Lewis leading hard at the ball carrier?

If Lewis was to get on his bike he can win the match up.

He didn't want to do that today. Maybe it was instruction? I'm not sure.
Maybe still feeling the corked hip that had people concerned at the start of the week.

Was very...immobile, by his usual standards

Another season of watching Reeves dominate the hitouts yet do SFA around the ground

Was against taking Watson at pick 4 and saw nothing today that alleviated my concern. It’s only his first game but doesn’t deserve to play next week. Let him get some confidence up at Box Hill first. Otherwise, much better performance than round one last year. We have a bit to work with

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back