Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

As many have already mentioned it was a strange old game.

I found it difficult to make out mids at times from where I was sitting on level 4, however what was really evident was how good our ball movement was at stages, but also how badly we were shown up in the hunt. The bombers players consistently outnumbered us 3 v 1, 4 v 1 and 5 v 2 at the ground balls.

We were also very obviously gassed late in the third quarter, the score was tight but I knew it was over.

We had a lot of players have moments they'd not like to see on replay as they short stepped contests, this has to be addressed by the coaching staff but it doesn't help when your leaders (not including Moore obviously) are culprits.
100% they were fitter than us in the heat.

Next to useless other then hitouts which he didn't even win today. Give Meek a 5 game block as the solo ruckman to see what he has.
If you think Meek would fare better against Goldy, I don't know what to tell you.

Yes Sicily didn't have the best game but people forget that we are running into games with Frost/Sic and sometimes Scrimma as our KPDs. Fact is we are giving up a lot of height to big forwards and these guys need to put a ton of effort into playing close to their man to stop them.
Losing Blanck was very bad for our defensive structure and there are probably going to be more games where Sic has less offensive output compared to last year.
People getting massively stuck into Lewis should watch more closely. Wasn't the best game but the guy does a lot of work, gets well up the ground and halves contests plenty. Despite not getting on the scoreboard much he still managed 8 marks, 4 contested and 7 score involvements. Seriously doubt we get 28 shots on goal if Lewis is not in the team.

Fitter than us or didn't have to work as hard for their goals in the first 3 quarters. We would scrap and fight for ours only for them to get their goals easy out of the middle

Inside 50's were only 16-15 in the last and we still butchered plenty going forward in the last quarter

Don’t expect much for at least 8 weeks gentlemen. Has been my feeling all preseason that it’s going to take a while for all the new blood and draftees to gel and for the coach to work out what the best mix on every line looks like. It’s clear, Sam is still unsure who has what he needs and where.

Around 8 - 12 weeks and then we are going to start seeing the potential of what list can be.

I think one of the reasons today, albeit only round 1, is so frustrating and upsetting for most is that there is also the underlying and glaring possibility that after these past few years of high drafting and rebuild that we may only come up with a middling side, at best.

I’ll give at at least 12 weeks to decide on that. Going to be a tough run coming up.

Another season of watching Reeves dominate the hitouts yet do SFA around the ground

Was against taking Watson at pick 4 and saw nothing today that alleviated my concern. It’s only his first game but doesn’t deserve to play next week. Let him get some confidence up at Box Hill first. Otherwise, much better performance than round one last year. We have a bit to work with

Who would you have drafted instead?

We took the best available talent at the pick we had. Who plays in an area of the ground that we've been lacking in elite end talent.

Don’t expect much for at least 8 weeks gentlemen. Has been my feeling all preseason that it’s going to take a while for all the new blood and draftees to gel and for the coach to work out what the best mix on every line looks like. It’s clear, Sam is still unsure who has what he needs and where.

Around 8 - 12 weeks and then we are going to start seeing the potential of what list can be.

I think one of the reasons today, albeit only round 1, is so frustrating and upsetting for most is that there is also the underlying and glaring possibility that after these past few years of high drafting and rebuild that we may only come up with a middling side, at best.

I’ll give at at least 12 weeks to decide on that. Going to be a tough run coming up.

Melbourne
Geelong
Collingwood
GCS
North
Sydney
WBD
Saints
Port
Brisbane

Are all up next. I was too scared to look beyond that.

Bad kicking is bad football.
Midfield couldn't get rolling at all.
No impact from so many of our leaders.

Go at it.
Really angry after watching it crap one sided umpiring what a shocker lol but Stevie wonder like goal kicking and no will day we did a decent job nearly playing out the game competitively and Chols screamer backed up with his first ever goal for hawks was epic and Ginny was good too. Such a hard first 5 games thanks AFL!!! Might be zero wins after Round 5 unfortunately (

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn - 28 scoring shots @ 39.2%

Essendon - 22 scoring shots @ 77.3%

Here endeth the analysis
Yep, we ****ing blew it.

I can understand the anger about losing...to those despicable pricks...

I can't understand people saying no there were no signs of progress.

Centre clearances and set shots were an F...many other aspects were solid to very good

Next to useless other then hitouts which he didn't even win today. Give Meek a 5 game block as the solo ruckman to see what he has.
He had a higher % of hits to advantage today than Goldie.
More clearances.
More contested possessions.
1 less disposal.
1 mark each.

Of all the things that went wrong today Reeve's game falls in behind a bunch of others that were far more disappointing.

You pay a mental toll in this game. Convert a few of those earlier chances and it would be the Bombers who were trailing us in through the last.

He had a higher % of hits to advantage today than Goldie.
More clearances.
More contested possessions.
1 less disposal.
1 mark each.

Of all the things that went wrong today Reeve's game falls in behind a bunch of others that were far more disappointing.
It amazes me too because despite his age Goldy is still one of the best rucks in the comp, particularly for his tap work. Its not like Reeves came up against a pleb or a ruck who doesn't win hitouts, he literally came up against the player who has the most hitouts in AFL history.

41 hitouts from a 35 year old Goldy, to 28 from Reeves, who is 10cm taller. Wow.

To be fair to Reeves, Goldy is going to go down as one of the best ruckmen of the 21st century.

He's got a lot more tricks and it showed. He always took best position in the centre blocking Reeves out and dominated him in the stoppages around the ground.

He's got a high footy IQ for a big fella.

Ward & MacKenzie need to start contributing more. Otherwise they will need to work on their game in the VFL if that’s the output they’re going to put up.
Correct...they are not good enough and need to fight for their position. Ward is way over rated by some on here

Kick a bit straighter and it’s a very different result. Also McKay was a big difference. Might end up being a huge missed trade target that we regret.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back