Unofficial Preview Round 1, Pies V Lions, Sat evening @6:20pm Qld / 7:20pm Vic (Thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Thomas, Greenwood unavaiable.
Ball, Lumumba, Beams traded/retired
Freeman, Sharenberg not ready
Does it mean that Sidebottom might play predominantly as an inside midfielder? He has done it before in 2012, and performed well.

With Thomas, Greenwood unavaiable.
Ball, Lumumba, Beams traded/retired
Freeman, Sharenberg not ready
Does it mean that Sidebottom might play predominantly as an inside midfielder? He has done it before in 2012, and performed well.

We have Adams, plus we can blood De Goey and Freeman.

Fair enough, but if we are relying on players like Adams De Goey and Freeman to carry out inside ball we might as well just forfeit the game.

If we're relying on players recruited to be inside midfielders to be inside midfielders we should forfeit? I get two of them are young and inexperienced but geez give them a chance man!

ahhh right. To me it seems exceedingly obvious the current coach has continued with the defensive pressure aspect. Hence goldsack's role. Don't follow your logic with one coach it was a game plan with another its not.
I don't agree with the new plan, it's lacked the any sort of defensive mindset to win enough games to be a premiership force. Playing the boundary in defence in a must play the boundary right up to the wing in fact, the ball comes too fast on the counter otherwise. Been a massive problem for 3 years.

I don't agree with the new plan, it's lacked the any sort of defensive mindset to win enough games to be a premiership force. Playing the boundary in defence in a must play the boundary right up to the wing in fact, the ball comes too fast on the counter otherwise. Been a massive problem for 3 years.

That sounds incredibly like you recognise Bucks has a game plan but think its shite. Fair enough. 2012 though we only really tried centering it for the first few games by my memory.

Anyway you may be right about playing the boundary with the kicking skills of our current side. The skills aren't likely to change this match or this year. Maybe we should play the boundary but IMO lack the aerial and midfield strengths to make this a winner and so we just end up delivering the ball into the forwardd line at snail pace.

If we're relying on players recruited to be inside midfielders to be inside midfielders we should forfeit? I get two of them are young and inexperienced but geez give them a chance man!
You know exactly what I mean, you get my point so Im not sure what the problem is? If players who have yet to play an AFL game are our leading candidates for that inside role, then of course we are in an unpleasant state

You know exactly what I mean, you get my point so Im not sure what the problem is? If players who have yet to play an AFL game are our leading candidates for that inside role, then of course we are in an unpleasant state

Adams isn't. Besides I considering the 'inside mid' role probably the easiest for a younger and inexperienced player to thrive in if they already have the bulk required. We have much bigger fish to fry than considering 'forfeiting' games because we have three first round (2 of which are top 10) draft picks vying for a role they're all capable of playing at AFL level.

For mine there are three keys to this match.

1. Kick straight early. This match will be red hot early and if we burn chances it will just deflate everyone!

2. Fittest team wins. That means no Seedsman, no Witts, no DeGoey and no Freeman. Fairytail starts to careers and underdone players won't get the job done Saturday night.

3. Be within 4 goals at the long break. We lost 5 matches by 10 goals plus last year and the average half time margin in those matches was 29 points. If there's a gap at half time for whatever spin you want to put on it we struggle to be competitive after that point.

At the end of the day we start the season 2 players short and I think it's going to be a long year win, lose or draw. However I just want to see something I can hang my hat on and say "we may have lost or won, but blah blah blah is something we can build on going forward". I'm not sure that happened in a single match post bye last year so please guys give me something because I'm sick of venting post match!

FWIW team selection will be indicitive names like Broomhead and PK up forward means we want to take the game on whereas Goldsack and Blair indicate we want to be competitive, IMO.

1. Kick straight early. This match will be red hot early and if we burn chances it will just deflate everyone!

2. Fittest team wins. That means no Seedsman, no Witts, no DeGoey and no Freeman. Fairytail starts to careers and underdone players won't get the job done Saturday night.

3. Be within 4 goals at the long break. We lost 5 matches by 10 goals plus last year and the average half time margin in those matches was 29 points. If there's a gap at half time for whatever spin you want to put on it we struggle to be competitive after that point.

At the end of the day we start the season 2 players short and I think it's going to be a long year win, lose or draw. However I just want to see something I can hang my hat on and say "we may have lost or won, but blah blah blah is something we can build on going forward". I'm not sure that happened in a single match post bye last year so please guys give me something because I'm sick of venting post match!

FWIW team selection will be indicitive names like Broomhead and PK up forward means we want to take the game on whereas Goldsack and Blair indicate we want to be competitive, IMO.
Well put. My hope is that we take it on this year rather than try to be competitive. I still believe we have a core of significant talent even if it's a bit depleted and we can go for wins rather than just trying to hold station. FWIW, I believe that wins achieved this way have a far greater impact on team confidence moving forward than wins achieved by holding out the opposition.

What would Blair, Broomhead, Goldsack and Karnezis mean?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would Blair, Broomhead, Goldsack and Karnezis mean?

Blair and Goldsack have roles to play in our team moving forward, but not as forwards. Goldsack is a defender and Blair is a great sub to run through the middle. All they offer in the forward half is chasing arse so we effectively play with 4 forwards. That isn't taking us forward and 2015 is about development.

Broomhead and PK have roles to play in our team moving forward and it's in the forward half. Broomhead has reached the point where VFL football does nothing for him and we are screaming out for a dangerous mid sized forward with skill and smarts. PK deserves a shot to prove he can make it.

From the squad v the Bulldogs one of Ramsay or Sinclair goes out for PK to give us that extra forward option. Broomhead replaces JT which is glaringly obvious and Crisp comes into the 22 for Greenwood. Gault would be under consideration, but for mine the weather hurts his chances.

This is the side I think we will go with. Whilst it is going to be tough, we have plenty of experience and should give a good account of ourselves. Pies in a tight one - 9pts.

B: Sinclair Brown Toovey
HB: Langdon Frost Crisp
C: Broomhead Sidebottom Varcoe
HF: Swan White Fasolo
F: Goldsack Cloke Elliott
Foll: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Sub: Blair

I reasonably confident about chalking up a win here, the lions midfield is strong but I think the wet weather will help us as they won't be able to cut us up on the rebound in the wet conditions. I've always thought collingwood play decent footy in the wet,
Anyway after the week it's been I just can't wait till its game time and nothing else matters about from cheering the boys on for a win!!

This is the side I think we will go with. Whilst it is going to be tough, we have plenty of experience and should give a good account of ourselves. Pies in a tight one - 9pts.

B: Sinclair Brown Toovey
HB: Langdon Frost Crisp
C: Broomhead Sidebottom Varcoe
HF: Swan White Fasolo
F: Goldsack Cloke Elliott
Foll: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Sub: Blair
i like that side, but think Williams may find himself in there at someone's expense

i like that side, but think Williams may find himself in there at someone's expense

He might do. Personally I think it is a choice between him and Sinclair. The match committee may disagree of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back