Unofficial Preview Round 1, Pies V Lions, Sat evening @6:20pm Qld / 7:20pm Vic (Thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
He might do. Personally I think it is a choice between him and Sinclair. The match committee may disagree of course.
think it's between him and Sinclair too, Williams has a much better attack on the footy but both arn't great users of it, I know Buckley has a soft spot for Sinclair so may very well go with him.

what makes you think that? being biased or what?
Hope mainly;)
Seriously though, they have a very good midfield but I think if we can either break even or hold them, we have a better forward line and also bakcline. The still need to kick more goals than us and I can't see that happening.

Would like to see Goldsack in defence but highly likely he will be played up forward.
Brisbane have a few smalls that could cause issues - Williams, Sinclair, Langdon and Toovey to cover them.

How I think we will line up

B - Toovey Brown Sinclair
HB - Williams Frost Langdon
C - Sidebottom Adams Varcoe
HF - Fasolo Cloke Goldsack
F - Elliott White Karnezis
R - Grundy Pendlebury Swan
INT - Blair Crisp Kennedy Broomhead

Looking forward to the team being named tonight, will be interesting to see which way the selectors go. Hoping for a least one debutant, DeGoey or freeman hopefully. Would be nice to see at least one of our first round picks from the last 2 drafts playing in the seniors. Either 1 for the sub I'm thinking.

This is the side I think we will go with. Whilst it is going to be tough, we have plenty of experience and should give a good account of ourselves. Pies in a tight one - 9pts.

B: Sinclair Brown Toovey
HB: Langdon Frost Crisp
C: Broomhead Sidebottom Varcoe
HF: Swan White Fasolo
F: Goldsack Cloke Elliott
Foll: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Sub: Blair

you'd be happy leading up to sinclair, brown, toovey, frost or crisp. side of a barn springs to mind.

Would like to see Goldsack in defence but highly likely he will be played up forward.
Brisbane have a few smalls that could cause issues - Williams, Sinclair, Langdon and Toovey to cover them.

I just realised I left off my interchange bench! Your side looks much better ;)

what makes you think that? being biased or what?

Just a feeling to be perfectly honest.

I think the 22 will be hungry and have copped enough this off season to fire them up.

Pendlebury, Swan, Adams, Sidebottom is a more than handy midfield in my opinion.

Brisbane do have a good midfield but we have the best midfielder on the ground.

Cloke is vital, we really need him to fire, when he is on he is almost unstoppable.

I thought they might've tried sinclair in maccafers role. if these are the best users we have in the back half we are in for a long long year.

I think this will be pretty close to the mark for this week. Cannot see the selectors opting for to many young guys like Freeman, De Goey first up and think they will need to earn their stripes in the VFL. Still this team looks a bit low on talent and foot skills coming out of the back line which is a real worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blair and Goldsack have roles to play in our team moving forward, but not as forwards. Goldsack is a defender and Blair is a great sub to run through the middle. All they offer in the forward half is chasing arse so we effectively play with 4 forwards. That isn't taking us forward and 2015 is about development.

Broomhead and PK have roles to play in our team moving forward and it's in the forward half. Broomhead has reached the point where VFL football does nothing for him and we are screaming out for a dangerous mid sized forward with skill and smarts. PK deserves a shot to prove he can make it.

From the squad v the Bulldogs one of Ramsay or Sinclair goes out for PK to give us that extra forward option. Broomhead replaces JT which is glaringly obvious and Crisp comes into the 22 for Greenwood. Gault would be under consideration, but for mine the weather hurts his chances.
So PK, Broomy in
Greenwood, Thomas, Gault and Sinclair/Ramsay out.

Might leave us a little short down forward which is why I see Gault as likely. Means Gault Cloke, White and Grundy to be rucks and KPF. Also Kennedy has to be in the mix also. Still a few decisions to be made. De Goey also a chance

FB M Williams N Brown A Toovey
CHB T Goldsack J Frost T Langdon
C J Crisp D Swan S Sidebottom
CHF J Elliott T Cloke A Fasolo
FF C Gualt J White P Karnezis
FOLL B Grundy S Pendlebury T Adams
INTER T Broomhead B Kennedy N Freeman J DeGoey
EMG J Blair T Varcoe S Dwyer

That is how I want us to line up. I think though the three blokes I have as emergencies will play and three of the four blokes I have on the bench will miss out

That is how I want us to line up. I think though the three blokes I have as emergencies will play and three of the four blokes I have on the bench will miss out
Good team but sadly don't see Blair and Varcoe as emergencies. Blair for mine is an automatic best 22 and Varcoe well why trade for him if you put him as an emergency? (Although not a favourite of mine when he was at Geelong, see him as a front -runner).

yeah good team imo, although i think varcoe should be in

So PK, Broomy in
Greenwood, Thomas, Gault and Sinclair/Ramsay out.

Might leave us a little short down forward which is why I see Gault as likely. Means Gault Cloke, White and Grundy to be rucks and KPF. Also Kennedy has to be in the mix also. Still a few decisions to be made. De Goey also a chance

Yeah that would be my play.

I'm of two minds with the height up forward. I think conditions play a big part, but primarily I want dangerous forwards so guys that the defence need to be on their toes against and can't afford to sag off to blanket Cloke. Does Gault provide us that in the predicted conditions? Not for mine though the extra versatility of another ruck option v Martin & Luey is the other obvious consideration. Another consideration is that the Lions may go with 3 tall's down back regardless of what we do. So going with Gault, White and Cloke may mean that Elliott gets an exploitable match up against a small. No Patfull is a bonus because he has a sublime record against us.

Kennedy doesn't particularly add anything new to the mix unless Blair or Crisp go out for him, IMO. Therefore I'm hesitant to go with him with Crisp's size (an asset in the wet) and Blair's fitness base (an asset early season). He'll get game time as we cop injuries and the form of individuals fluctuates, but for mine the role he's best suited to we have covered ATM.

De Goey is a straight no for me. He hasn't shown that he's definitely ready yet. If we're setting standards for the likes of Kennedy, Broomhead and PK to break into the line up we also need to hold De Goey to those and so far he hasn't done enough to justify a round 1 spot. I expect him to get game time and soon, but for mine it's off the back of a month of 25 possession games at VFL level which the others can do on their ear (or a 3-4 goal match in PK's case).

Just stopped by training on my way to work, Goldsack was doing goal kicking with the forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back