Unofficial Preview Round 1, Pies V Lions, Sat evening @6:20pm Qld / 7:20pm Vic (Thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that would be my play.

I'm of two minds with the height up forward. I think conditions play a big part, but primarily I want dangerous forwards so guys that the defence need to be on their toes against and can't afford to sag off to blanket Cloke. Does Gault provide us that in the predicted conditions? Not for mine though the extra versatility of another ruck option v Martin & Luey is the other obvious consideration. Another consideration is that the Lions may go with 3 tall's down back regardless of what we do. So going with Gault, White and Cloke may mean that Elliott gets an exploitable match up against a small. No Patfull is a bonus because he has a sublime record against us.

Kennedy doesn't particularly add anything new to the mix unless Blair or Crisp go out for him, IMO. Therefore I'm hesitant to go with him with Crisp's size (an asset in the wet) and Blair's fitness base (an asset early season). He'll get game time as we cop injuries and the form of individuals fluctuates, but for mine the role he's best suited to we have covered ATM.

De Goey is a straight no for me. He hasn't shown that he's definitely ready yet. If we're setting standards for the likes of Kennedy, Broomhead and PK to break into the line up we also need to hold De Goey to those and so far he hasn't done enough to justify a round 1 spot. I expect him to get game time and soon, but for mine it's off the back of a month of 25 possession games at VFL level which the others can do on their ear (or a 3-4 goal match in PK's case).
Yeah don't mind that as a strategy. I do though lean to Gault as I think we need the height but the wet changes that a bit. I have always liked Kennedy and think he can be a more dangerous option than Broomy so would pick him 1st. PK I want to see play just to know if he can be a senior player. If he can cut it will be great. De Goey I don't mind if he plays but agree overall best to start VFL and he will cut it up pretty quickly at that level hopefully then get a game.

So for me

PK in

Greenwood, Thomas, Ramsay out

If sinclair gets a game then im bailing on this season. Im sick of clowns like this getting a go....should have been delisted 3 years ago

He is a Bucks Favourite. He will play 100%:(

Would like to see Goldsack in defence but highly likely he will be played up forward.
Brisbane have a few smalls that could cause issues - Williams, Sinclair, Langdon and Toovey to cover them.

How I think we will line up

B - Toovey Brown Sinclair
HB - Williams Frost Langdon
C - Sidebottom Adams Varcoe
HF - Fasolo Cloke Goldsack
F - Elliott White Karnezis
R - Grundy Pendlebury Swan
INT - Blair Crisp Kennedy Broomhead

Reckon you're spot on.

Not game related but did any one see Pendles on that AFL show this morning?
The way he talked about Shaz makes me too excited! If he lives up to all this hype I won't remember the first 2 injury riddled years of his career! Can't debut quick enough for me!

My 2 cents worth on the game...
If it's raining tomorrow night, it won't matter if Brisbane don't have any decent talls.
I'm tipping Bears by 4 points.
Beams with 30 and 2 :(
Normally I'm wrong with everything so hopefully this is another one of those times!

Good team but sadly don't see Blair and Varcoe as emergencies. Blair for mine is an automatic best 22 and Varcoe well why trade for him if you put him as an emergency? (Although not a favourite of mine when he was at Geelong, see him as a front -runner).
As I said in another post he had to earn the respect of them players and coaches in the nab I don't think his performances would have done that

If sinclair gets a game then im bailing on this season. Im sick of clowns like this getting a go....should have been delisted 3 years ago

Wow, you really dislike Sinclair.

As I said in another post he had to earn the respect of them players and coaches in the nab I don't think his performances would have done that

I'm one of Varcoe's biggest critics on here, if not the biggest, and as much as I don't want him in the senior line up and was against trading for him I have come to terms with him lining up in the seniors for round 1.

I will be a very happy man if proven wrong though!

I'm one of Varcoe's biggest critics on here, if not the biggest, and as much as I don't want him in the senior line up and was against trading for him I have come to terms with him lining up in the seniors for round 1.

I will be a very happy man if proven wrong though!
I know he will line up but it does not mean I want him there

I know he will line up but it does not mean I want him there

I gathered that I was just expressing my support of your opinion. Russell, Young, Lynch, Armstrong and White all over again we just need to steer clear of other teams cast offs!

I gathered that I was just expressing my support of your opinion. Russell, Young, Lynch, Armstrong and White all over again we just need to steer clear of other teams cast offs!
Geelong getting Clark for Varcoe will be the steal of the trade period imo.

Hoping like hell Varcoe can produce some good footy, because despite the prince being batshit crazy, he was a very consistent and durable player.

I have a nasty feeling about this trade though...

Hoping like hell Varcoe can produce some good footy, because despite the prince being batshit crazy, he was a very consistent and durable player.

The Prince always gets the last laugh o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Gault was going to play or even be named as an emergency, he would have to be promoted and notify the AFL within the next few hours.

Also, I wish Witts was playing instead of Grundy (again, ducks for cover from Dave). He looks ready to explode this season and is a better option resting forward than Grundy.

Yeah don't mind that as a strategy. I do though lean to Gault as I think we need the height but the wet changes that a bit. I have always liked Kennedy and think he can be a more dangerous option than Broomy so would pick him 1st. PK I want to see play just to know if he can be a senior player. If he can cut it will be great. De Goey I don't mind if he plays but agree overall best to start VFL and he will cut it up pretty quickly at that level hopefully then get a game.

So for me

PK in

Greenwood, Thomas, Ramsay out

On a separate note I have to ask on what basis do you believe Kennedy is more dangerous than Broomhead?

I'd have Broomhead as the more skilled, better finisher, more versatile, more improved since joining us and the better mover in traffic. I can only assume you're referring to their ability to accumulate which I would now rate even having watched Broomhead closely over the past 12 months he's a 30 ppg VFL player and displayed a level of consistency within 3 games at AFL level last year.

I like Kennedy moving forward because he is someone that can with time replace others that I view as periphery talents, but there is a degree of sameness to his game compared to the likes of Blair, JT (previously) and Adams whereas Broomhead just has that silk that we are so lacking currently.

Yeah missing out on Clark and getting Varcoe isn't going to go down as a great trade

I on the other hand hope he gets a game. He is one of the very few who can break lines out of defence. Yes he has his faults but he brings a key attribute that we have lost with HarryO and Heath gone, and Young injured.

Sinclair is also probably a lock for this game because one of Brisbane's strengths is its fleet of small forwards. Small forwards have ripped us a big one over the past few years and for that reason I think Toovs, Marley and Sinclair will all get games.

I on the other hand hope he gets a game. He is one of the very few who can break lines out of defence. Yes he has his faults but he brings a key attribute that we have lost with HarryO and Heath gone, and Young injured.

Sinclair is also probably a lock for this game because one of Brisbane's strengths is its fleet of small forwards. Small forwards have ripped us a big one over the past few years and for that reason I think Toovs, Marley and Sinclair will all get games.
haha i forgot all about possum, completly forgot, makes me feel a bit better

Not game related but did any one see Pendles on that AFL show this morning?
The way he talked about Shaz makes me too excited! If he lives up to all this hype I won't remember the first 2 injury riddled years of his career! Can't debut quick enough for me!

My 2 cents worth on the game...
If it's raining tomorrow night, it won't matter if Brisbane don't have any decent talls.
I'm tipping Bears by 4 points.
Beams with 30 and 2 :(
Normally I'm wrong with everything so hopefully this is another one of those times!

What did he say in particular to make you get movement?

Ok.....it is easter long weekend but you have hit the grog fairly early....respect for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back