Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Fraser will be used as a wingman, Buckley will get his way and Josh will be used in a Richo type role, run the ground and get dangerous forward.
That will allow all 3 talls to play.
Cloke will be stronger and fitter, last year he had a lot of issues and we had to play him, the pre-season he'll be doing weights and a lot more running with Buckley at the club.

Also when was the last game that Swan started on the ground? he'll start on the bench.

B goldsack presti O'Brien
HB shaw L.Brown Maxwell
C Lockyear Swan B.Johnson
HF Didak Cloke Rusling
F Davis Anthony Thomas
Fol. Jolly :D Pendles Ball :D

Int. Fraser Medhurst O'bree Toovey OR N.Brown

Emg. beams wood dick

ive put davis and thomas in the pockets cos they both lead for the ball so well and hold the mark. so that would be better if they mark and go for the shot at 25m ou instead of 50m out.

ive decided that Anthony is going to be our FF in our years to come because he uses his body well and imo is the best set shot in the game.

Rusling at HFF cos hes a very strong mark and is a good kick at a long way out.

Cloke- this year ran up the ground more but went too far into our Def 50 too muc and we were sturggling for numbers in our forward line, so hopefuly hes stays down more forward and helps out there.

Didak would rotate in the middle and deep in the forward line with davis and Pendles.

when Shaw want to have a run-around he could swap with Lockyear, cos even tho hes small hes got a strong body.

toovey/N.Brown and goldsack can rotate and if you haven noticed O'Brien plays alot of the game usually the whole game.

Goldsack__Presti__O'Brien
________Maxwell_______
Shaw_____Reid___Thomas

Davis____Pendles___Didak

Fraser____Cloke____Dick
___Medhurst_Anthony___

FOLL: Jolly, Ball, Swan

INTER: Lockyer, Sidebottom, Wellingham, (O'Bree/McCarthy/Macaffer/Barham)/(N Brown against Brisbane or someone else with huge forwards)

O'Brien - Presti - Toovey
Shaw - Maxwell - Macaffer
Thomas - Pendlebury - Barham (tagging mid)
Didak - Cloke - Sidebottom
Medhurst - Anthony - Dick
Jolly - Ball - Davis

Int: Beams - Wood - Reid - Swan

That's the team I'd most like to go with personally, although it is obviously wishful thinking. It certainly isn't how I think we'll line up come round 1, but it resembles the 22 I want to use going forward.

I don't want to see Johnson used again, he has been overtaken by quicker and more efficient blokes now.
Lockyer's last third of the year was poor and he was exposed in finals against the top sides. Macaffer can step in and do his role just as well I believe, Lockyer is ridiculously slow these days and not damaging enough. I think one of his major assets was his experience and leadership, two things which I think we effectively replaced during trade week. Previously we we a little inexperienced I think, bringing in two mature aged, proven performers, with one being a club captain, I think we've addressed the issue and pushed Lockyer towards the sidelines a bit.

I'd probably still have a spot for O'Bree to be honest, but I think he should be phased out. A few of the younger blokes can begin to combine and rotate to effectively cover the hole he leaves. Ball and Obie virtually can't be on the ground at the same time, it restricts us in our rotations I believe, and Obie's great strength came from his large TOG spent as our sole ball winner. Now he gets regulated toward the bench more often and while he is there leaves us with our three people able to rotate throughout the ground (O'Bree can only play in the guts).
Ball clearly wants more GT which makes me think he knows he is fit and able enough to do it, so get him playing as our number 1 ball winner with help from Swan, Pendlebury and a combination of the likes of Beams, Thomas, Sidey and even Barham to an extent who I think is more than willing to throw himself around to win the ball.

I've made more thoughts clear on Fraser as a forward; I don't think it can work and I'd prefer Wood 100% as our back up ruckman. Not only that, but Wood has better hands and has the ability to to exploit an undersized backline better than Fraser imo.

Barham to be used as a run with mid, start him outside the square and get him playing a defensive role on a dangerous opposition midfielder. He is quick, has a big tank, ferocious tackler, but he also has a bit of a knack to find the pill and while he isn't a great kick, it means whoever he is tagging still needs to watch for his run the other way. Throws his body around at stoppages as well, so he will potentially feed a bit of ball out as well.

Jmac, Rambo, Goldsack and even Rusling if fit, all not far away.
Time to begin ushering in a new age though, Lockyer/Johnson/Brown were all good stop gaps and their experience was vital when we were so young and inexperienced. We've brought in some great mature talent though which mends that hole created during our poor 2001-2005 drafting period..

I'd MUCH rather see us front up to finals this year with a team like this as opposed to one consisting of those guys I mentioned, I personally think we'd fair better not just in the now, but undoubtedly going forward. It isn't playing them for the sake of playing them anymore either, I genuinely believe these guys are ready to take the mantle, all have proven they can cut it at the top level and it is time to start instilling them with some responsibility. We fronted up with the likes of Lockyer and Johnson this year and got thumped by 80 points, start to move on now.

Dale is soft....LOL....Kidding!

Exciting times.......I know 3 ruckman is over the top, but after seeing Woods llast few games I think he'll be something special.

I see yr from Nth Tas....My family were born and bred Stanely pioneers.....great place the nut!

Beautiful little cottages. Reminded me of fishing villages I've seen on foodie shows of the UK. Great fish and chips. The fresh fish shop owner's son died saving some fisherman in rough water. The only fish shop that challenges it would be the one at Burnie. The batter is something else. Pity Burnie doesnt have the character of Stanley.

B O'Brien presti Toovey
HB shaw N.Brown Maxwell
C Lockyear Swan McCaffer
HF Didak Cloke Rusling
F Davis Anthony Thomas
Fol. Jolly Pendles Ball

Int: L.Brown Fraser Dick Reid

Here is my crack at it

B - Shaw Presti Goldsack
HB - Maxwell Reid O'Brien
C - Thomas Pendles Sidebottom
HF - Didak Cloke Fraser
F - Medhurst Anthony Davis
Foll - Jolly Ball Swan

Int - Dick, Beams, N.Brown, Toovey

Emg - Mcaf, Wood/Dawes, Johnson/O'Bree/Mcarthy

If Rusling/Dawes can force a spot into the forward line would be more than happy. But they have to earn it.

Probably left someone out but did it pretty quickly

I'm sorry but I really don't think Mick would make O'Bree, who has played 95 games in the last 4 years an emergency just because we have Luke Ball. Anyone who thinks O'Bree will not be part of the midfield in round 1 has rocks in their head.

I could make a team but I'd prefer to just state the fact that O'Bree's 2009 was his best year ever in disposals and tackles. Anyone taking out O'Bree and putting in Wellingham, McCarthy, Beams or Sidebottom is a nonce.

That includes nearly every bloody round 1 team in this thread.

Any serious Round 1 team has O'Bree. His body is holding up really well for a 31yo.

Same with people choosing Reid or Buckley and putting Prestigiacomo as an emergency! WTF planet are you people smoking?!?!?

Without Presti and O'Bree's consistent performances during the 2008 season we would have never, ever made top four.

absolutely agree with your assessment...the one point and I've posted this before re fraser is ROTATIONS...the game has changed dramatically and so has MM and co...they have finally recruited for the season and flag!...fraser will NOT stand up for 22 games with his chronic knee...he'll play maybe 14 games hence recruiting Jolly...The superteam is better placed than ever to be picked according to the opposition...Reid, Presti, the Browns will rotate weekly according to the oppostion...Reid is close maybe one more year though for him...there will be strong competition between Anthony, Dawes and Rusling/Fraser to perform...there WILL be injuries (Medhurst/Davis would not have had to play injured like this year) and now we are better placed than ever to cover them without much of a hiccup...and dare I say it, let's hope sidebottom and beams don't suffer the dreaded second year blues...EVERYPLAYER in this side has to perform EVERYWEEK because there is a ready made replacement waiting...VFl have to be flag favorites...lol...as for the Bulldogs- Presti on Barry Hall...and the rest wow who knows..I wouldnt want to be a player preseason..it will be intense...there are 30 genuine canditates for 22 spots...not to mention the brilliant coaching panel...every Collingwood supporter should get ready for the ride in the coming years...we will beat Geelong and St Kilda...Adelaide looks best placed to match us but I have us flag favourites..this is the best Collingwood side for 50 years!

I have to agree with our blond female contributor that Lockyer, Johnson and to a lesser extent, O'Bree, need to be phased out. Provided N Brown can show some form next year, Presti should be used selectively rather than an automatic selection. Presti did not perform so well in the finals.

Macaffer on the HBF is also justified over Buckley at this stage, given some inspiring games in the VFL by Macaffer off the HBF. Had we lost Goldsack to St Kilda, we probably would not have missed him given the number of capable HBF players on our list.

As for Barham, he should not get a game until his field kicking improves dramatically. For all Toovey's faults, his kicking has improved and he plays within his limitations. And he is as fast as Barham when scooting away from the opposition.

I have to agree with our blond female contributor that Lockyer, Johnson and to a lesser extent, O'Bree, need to be phased out. Provided N Brown can show some form next year, Presti should be used selectively rather than an automatic selection. Presti did not perform so well in the finals.

Macaffer on the HBF is also justified over Buckley at this stage, given some inspiring games in the VFL by Macaffer off the HBF. Had we lost Goldsack to St Kilda, we probably would not have missed him given the number of capable HBF players on our list.

As for Barham, he should not get a game until his field kicking improves dramatically. For all Toovey's faults, his kicking has improved and he plays within his limitations. And he is as fast as Barham when scooting away from the opposition.

Lol, do you think Smiddaz is Steele Sidebottom as well?

The best thing about this thread is that so many people have varients of the starting 22 showing just how much depth we have next year.

This is a good thing seeing people talking about fazing out guys like Fraser/Johnson/Obree and playing youngsters and on the flip of the coin its good to see so many of our stalwarts being backed in for big seasons.

Going to be really hard to get a gig in our team next year which is going to drive some players to levels we could only dream off....It will be amazing to see who steps up another level to try and cement a spot...

Guys like Reid/Brown/Rusling/Dawes/Goldsack/Toovey/Beams/Sidebottom/Buckley are going to have to continually work harder and perform more consistantly then ever just to get a game. That includes our more experienced players like Johnson/Lockyer/Obree/Medders/Presti/Anthony.....Going to be a good year where having injuries/suspensions wont see players getting an easy run in the best 22.

Real good competition in the team which will bring out the best:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this team in the "Buckleys best 22" thread but thought it is a good fit for this one too. It's interesting to see that this team could easily play and do well this year. Potential changes i'll include in red:

FB: ------O'Brien---Presti/N Brown-----Maxwell-------
HB: ------Shaw---------Reid----Blight/Toovey---- (Goldsack/Buckley)

C: -------Swan--------Rusty-------Davis--------
Fol: ------Jolly---------Ball--------Pendles-------

HF: ------Didak--------Cloke----Macaffer/Lockyer--
FF: -------Dick-------Anthony-----Medhurst-----

Int: Wood/Fraser, Beams, Thomas, McCarthy/O'Bree

Others: Wellingham, Dawes, Rusling, Reed, Blair, Thomas, Rounds, L Brown, Johnson etc etc

It shows the sort of generational change we may be looking at over the next two years. Some of those players will start to be phased out this year hopefully. The only really important player that will miss is Presti. But it's starting to look like a very strong team with alot of depth which is important. If we get injuries to players that aren't from the top of our 22 we should be able to cover them quite well.

Backs: O'Brien N Brown Maxwell
Half Backs: Shaw Reid Buckley
Mids: D.Thomas Swan Didak
Half Fwds: Beames Cloke Davis
Forwards: Medhurst Anthony Dick
Followers: JollyPendlebury Ball

Interchange: O'Bree, Fraser, Goldsack, Sidebottom
Emerg: Johnson, Wellingham, Rusling

B: Toovey, Presti, O'Brien
HB: Maxwell, Reid , Shaw
C: Thomas, Pendlebury, Didak
HF: Davis, Cloke, Medhurst
F: Dick, Anthony, Rusling

R: Jolly, Ball, Swan,
I: Fraser, Sidebottom, Beams, O'Bree

Presti still holds Nath's spot assuming he can maintain 2009 form. If he starts to slip or gets injured Nath moves straight in.

Would love Thomas/Didak running the wings and setting up goals.

Believe Davis/Medhurst could not only kick goals from HF, but would be perfect to use their precise foot skills to set up a leading structure of Rusling and JA. Please, please Glassman don't get injured.

Definately no room to play 3 rucks.

daisyy thomas should be hittin the gym hard n getting into that midfield medhurst will be back to his best keep dids up forward n let leon do wat he wants, joshhhy will be stoked after basically carrying collingwoods ruck since 2000 the poor bugga n now he can start to focus on he's own skills rather than worrying bout having to crash into blokes the size of aaron sandilands every week hope rusling gets ago coz he deserves he's shot travis n john anthony hav got to have a look at themselves they aint up 2 standard specially wit big josh up dere. good luck to nathan brown ppl sayy he's a bit slow but he's a great spoiler n with maxwells help he should be fine... it is great to see that the club r trying to win a premiership with getting lukey ball and darren jolly it makes us look definitly more better around the middle GOOD LUCK IN 2010 BOYS 20th annerversary of 1990:)...

FLOREAT PICA
from not elmo

I posted this team in the "Buckleys best 22" thread but thought it is a good fit for this one too. It's interesting to see that this team could easily play and do well this year. Potential changes i'll include in red:

FB: ------O'Brien---Presti/N Brown-----Maxwell-------
HB: ------Shaw---------Reid----Blight/Toovey---- (Goldsack/Buckley)

C: -------Swan--------Rusty-------Davis--------
Fol: ------Jolly---------Ball--------Pendles-------

HF: ------Didak--------Cloke----Macaffer/Lockyer--
FF: -------Dick-------Anthony-----Medhurst-----

Int: Wood/Fraser, Beams, Thomas, McCarthy/O'Bree

Others: Wellingham, Dawes, Rusling, Reed, Blair, Thomas, Rounds, L Brown, Johnson etc etc

It shows the sort of generational change we may be looking at over the next two years. Some of those players will start to be phased out this year hopefully. The only really important player that will miss is Presti. But it's starting to look like a very strong team with alot of depth which is important. If we get injuries to players that aren't from the top of our 22 we should be able to cover them quite well.
best team so far with both reid and blight included imo..

Can't wait now for the start of next year. We will have guys pushing in the vfl to get a game and it can only help the senior team get better :D can't wait to watch blight, rounds, blair, josh thomas and sinclair in the vfl and maybe even McCarthy and Wellingham at times. Come on next season start allready :)
I hope to watch BLIGHTY running around with jolly and bally!

B: Toovey - Presti - O'Brien
HB: Shaw - N.Brown - Maxwell
C: Sidebottom - Swan - Didak
HF: Fraser - Cloke - Meddas
F: Thomas - Anthony - Davis
Foll: Jolly - Ball - Pendlebury
Bench: Obree - Beams - Johnson - L.Brown

Emerg: Dick - McCarthy - Wood - Dawes - Buckley - Reid - Blight - Wellingham - Goldsack

Heres my team

Backs: O'Brien, Presti, Reid

Half backs: Shaw, Brown, Maxwell

Centre: Lockyer, Pendlebury, Buckley

Half forwards: Beams, Cloke, Didak

Forwards: Davis, Anthony, D. Thomas

Followers:
Jolly, Ball, Swan

Interchange: Fraser, Obree, Macaffer, Sidebottom

Emergencies: Dick, Johnson, Rusling, Goldsack

Heres my team

Backs: O'Brien, Presti, Reid

Half backs: Shaw, Brown, Maxwell

Centre: Lockyer, Pendlebury, Buckley

Half forwards: Beams, Cloke, Didak

Forwards: Davis, Anthony, D. Thomas

Followers:
Jolly, Ball, Swan

Interchange: Fraser, Obree, Macaffer, Sidebottom

Emergencies: Dick, Johnson, Rusling, Goldsack
i reckon that backline is too tall.... the balance doesnt' seem quite right..

i think we need a toovey in there somewhere (as a shut-down small defender)

i reckon that backline is too tall.... the balance doesnt' seem quite right..

i think we need a toovey in there somewhere (as a shut-down small defender)

Fair call...I'm not a big fan of Toovey though. Maybe take out Reid and put Goldsack there.

That we are a re-active 'horses for courses' team, countering others, is why we are not yet a 'championship' team (ie one that others play horses for courses upon). Our best 22 has to be able to get the job done against anyone, anywhere, and anytime. A tinkle or two of changes here or there because of injuries or obvious match-up mismatches.

We are still in transition in 2010. By 2011 the older retirees might include Presti, O'Bree, Lockyer and or Johnson. So in 2010 more games into whoever is going to replace Presti in time. Have Ball, but if OB's legs give out, we'll need some games into McCarthy, Beams or whoever is going to be our next extractor to go with Ball. Sidey can do a Lockyer, back/forward/link/rove/centreman.

The tagger if Johnson were to go is more problematic. A tougher Toovey? A rookie? A Barham that only handballs?

OBrien - Presti - NBrown/Goldsack/Blight
Shaw - Reid - Maxwell
Davis - Sidebottom - Thomas
Beams - Cloke - Didak
Medhurst - Anthony - Dick/Lockyer/Rusling/Dawes
Jolly - Pendlebury - Ball
Swan, Fraser/Wood, extractor (OB/ McCarthy), tagger (Tooves/ Johnson/ Barham)

Emerg (not listed in options above): Wellers, Macaffer (esp as a running HBF), LBrown injury utility.

Looking back at those options for a 'best 22', we just don't yet have enough rebound and speed to threaten the top 3 or 4 teams, without reducing everything to a Sydney-like crawl. So I guess during the 2010 transition we hopefully get some legs into Buckley and some of our younger quicks as well. That's a lot of things to be trying within one season and still win 14 or so games.

By the end of 2010 I hope we have that 'championship' combo more in place for the years ahead.

B. Maxwell Presti O'Brien

HB Shaw Brown Didak

C Sidebottom Ball Davis

HF Thomas Cloke Lockyer

F Anthony Rusling Medhurst

Foll Jolly Pendlebury Swan

Bench
O'Bree Reid Fraser Beams

with some bloody good players to miss out me likey very much

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad