Preview Round 10: St Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Confidence works entirely different for Richmond (players, not supporters)

Over the past couple of years under Hardwick, they tend to get a run on after a good win.

Doesn't seem to spook them, or have them too overconfident, it seems to help them having belief about the place.

Confidence works entirely different for Richmond (players, not supporters)

Over the past couple of years under Hardwick, they tend to get a run on after a good win.

Doesn't seem to spook them, or have them too overconfident, it seems to help them having belief about the place.

Until we play a team that we should easily beat. Then we don't turn up.

Confidence is fine. Over confidence is annoying. A lot of it on your team's board.

I suspect a lot of its reactionary. For the past few weeks we had a fair number of dons and hawks posters bagging richmond posters for having the gall to even tip a richmond win - not a big win mind you, it was insulting to all that they even thought the tigers had a chance of winning.

This has put a few backs up, and the bravado has ramped up a bit as a result. It only took one poster to say "saints by 10 goals easy", and it was off. As such, I think some of our boys are mis-reading the confidence here for some of the insulting arrogance we have been putting up with from others of late.

Sorry for you guys copping it, normally saints fans are pretty reasonable, and the cross club trolling aint too bad.

On this weeks game, I think the optimism Tigers fans have right now is not just about the last couple of weeks. You guys are not the team you once were, but thats far from an insult. You were a bees dick away from winning the flag, and have had the wood on us for nearly a decade. We normally expect to lose against you - no discussion. This is the first time in a long time that the gap between the two sides is closer, and we can realistically think we have a chance. How much, thats the interesting part. Saints are definitely a lot stronger than most (including myself) expected this year, and with the new game plan it will be interesting to see how the two teams match up.

Normally I hate this game, because we lose and its ugly to watch. I'm actually looking forward to Friday because I honestly have no idea how this game will pan out.

Until we play a team that we should easily beat. Then we don't turn up.

We're not one of those, so think the confidence works in your clubs favour.

So hard to predict what kind of pace this game will be played at, because Ross played pretty open footy v the Tiges in recent years.

Lots of changes to both lists since last year, also Jack went off concussed, and Lenny did his ACL, so a draw was the result of some pretty major happenings on field for both sides.

Damn, was hoping Fisher would be back this week...
Hopefully Geary comes up and can play as well...

I wonder what the team changes (if any) will be for this week?

If Geary is right to go, I’d be inclined to go in with an unchanged team.
I do worry thought that Roo will be double teamed when Kosi has to ruck.
Rather than sending Blake to the bench (who by the way has a decent tank), would we be better served if he rests around the F50 line?
This way, he becomes a target, without clogging up the space further towards goal.
Not sure how good a kick he is for goal; he did kick a nice goal last week, about 45m out, 50-60º angle on the wrong side for a right footer...
Although this one example shouldn’t be used as a basis to judge his goal kicking ability!

Another alternative is to either play Siposs for the full match (and use someone else as the sub), or bring in Wilkes?

No idea about Schneider, or where he’s at. Love to see him play, but is it worth risking his hammy in what we expect to be a close, tight, tough match?
Hasn’t played a senior game this year, and has only played 1 VFL match.

I like the fact that I heard on one of the footy shows on TV last night that Richmond like to handball a lot across half back, or in the backline. We absolutely LOVE playing teams that do that, generally, as it gives us lots of chances to pressure and tackle and that is even more likely now that Saad is there, putting on up to 11 tackles a game, in and around our forward line.

It's a pity that that's not even close to the style of play that we use, we like to control the ball and deny the opposition, have a look at the Disposal differentials in every game, what we do, is control the ball in the back half by foot, when a switch is on he switch, if something in the middle is on we use it.

We are second for average disposals with 392, we average 212 kicks and 180 handballs a game, maybe you need to watch a new footy program.

Sydney were extremely handball-happy last week and once we realised that and put massive pressure on them, they fell to pieces and their handballs started going all over the place.

Sydney also average 199 kicks and 150 handballs per game, maybe it was a one off with them using the handball but the stats show that they are predominantly a kicking side.

Hi all , as a mad tiger man and a very proud one at the moment i think you guys have the edge over us and will more than likely win, our best chance is big ivan having a night out, as per usuall i expect milne to kill us again, but hoping morris will play him tight, good luck friday night and im sure it will be a great game

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

It's a pity that that's not even close to the style of play that we use, we like to control the ball and deny the opposition, have a look at the Disposal differentials in every game, what we do, is control the ball in the back half by foot, when a switch is on we switch, if something in the middle is on we use it.

We are second for average disposals with 392, we average 212 kicks and 180 handballs a game, maybe you need to watch a new footy program.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it some deep thought. Unfortunately I watched 3 footy shows last night (AFL 360, On The Couch and Footy Classified) and don't remember which one it was where they said that, so that's going to make it hard for me to know which one to stop watching.

Do you a suggestion for a show where they never ever make a mistake?

Sydney also average 199 kicks and 150 handballs per game, maybe it was a one off with them using the handball but the stats show that they are predominantly a kicking side.
Pretty much every time Sydney got the ball in a pack (in the 1st quarter) they would instantly handball it to basically whoever was closest to them and then they would instantly handball it to someone else, who would then instantly handball it to someone else, until they got it in the clear, when they would finally kick it.

It was like a very fast paced game of keeping's off, with the ball zipping around like a pinball, and was very effective for the quarter, but then for the next two we swarmed around them in the packs and put mountains of pressure on them and as I said, their handballs suddenly began missing targets and we'd get it and be off to the races.

Then we'd take a mark up forward, kick a point and it would be rinse and repeat, until we either took the foot off the gas, or ran out of puff (after consecutive 6 day breaks and match in Perth on a hot day), in the last quarter, when they were able to get a bit of space again and managed to move the ball very quickly forward a few times.

I think we need to have at least 15 point lead at 3/4 time to win. I know we are generally (early in the year) a strong finishing team. However, we've gone from a monday night game, to a sunday game, to a saturday game, to a friday game (what fool fixtured this?) so that is our third 6 day break in a row. That's really not a lot of recovery time. For that reason, I can see another final quarter fall down this week, as we did against Sydney.

Having said that, I'm very confident. The Tigers keeping in their back half until they find a way through is the exact game style that we've been destroying, so I think that that match up works really well.

Secondly, I love the number of posts on the Richmond board saying 'Riewoldt v Riewoldt!' and 'Jack needs to kick 4 or more and we'll win'. That seeming over dependence works well for us. I actually think Jack going off last year helped Richmond, because it threw out our back structure. Beforehand, we knew that they were going to Jack, and someone like Blake could get across to create a two on one. However, when he went off, they became unpredictable. It's fantastic that we're not relying on our Riewoldt anymore, yet he still has the ability to really do some damaged if not properly addressed.

Richmond have been playing fantastic football (for Richmond) and I really wasn't confident the other day. However, re-watching the Hawks-Richmond game and the Saints-Sydney game, I'm now very confident. The real challenge will be Adelaide in a few weeks... don't see us holding a candle to them at the moment.

Another fantastic problem to have, is Ivan Maric. He will monster Blake/Kosi in the ruck contests, and he's been a huge key to Richmonds recent success. However, we don't have a good tap ruckman, and at the moment don't have a ruckman at all. So we're getting monstered in the tap outs every week. Has hardly bothered our midfield, they've been generally getting more clearances regardless. So, they're massive weapon seems to be curtailed a bit here. We're not a team that relies on our ruckman beating the other ruckman to win clearances.

Our ruck situation is basically what it was all the way back in 2004/2005, when it was Kosi and Blake for a lot of the time. Having them do it then didn't stop us making the Prelims those years and still doesn't stop us winning games and getting clearances now.

And last week we actually didn't get monstered in the hitouts, as Blake had a very respectable 31.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it some deep thought. Unfortunately I watched 3 footy shows last night (AFL 360, On The Couch and Footy Classified) and don't remember which one it was where they said that, so that's going to make it hard for me to know which one to stop watching.

While I suspect you're being facetious, one of the sad facts of life is that as you become more knowledgeable about the AFL the less you respect the opinions of journalists (who have to cover 18 teams and 9 games each week).

Pretty much every time Sydney got the ball in a pack (in the 1st quarter) they would instantly handball it to basically whoever was closest to them and then they would instantly handball it to someone else, who would then instantly handball it to someone else, until they got it in the clear, when they would finally kick it.

etc..

That's pretty much a description of every clearing play in the AFL isn't it?

What you say is correct though. This game will be won on the balance of three areas:
1. Number of fast breaks.
2. Contested posessions (hard in and under in the midfield).
3. If one forward line can dominate (both have their chance to shine).

Going to be a ripper.

Oh I wasn't having a go at you or anybody else, I was just clearing up something that is off the mark, I think Bomber Thompson said it best last night on 360, where he said that we like to control it from the backhalf by foot, very patiently, but if there is an opening through the middle or either side of the wings we take off, either by hand, or foot, our spread is very good which the uncontested possession stats show.

It was like a very fast paced game of keeping's off, with the ball zipping around like a pinball, and was very effective for the quarter, but then for the next two we swarmed around them in the packs and put mountains of pressure on them and as I said, their handballs suddenly began missing targets and we'd get it and be off to the races.

Then we'd take a mark up forward, kick a point and it would be rinse and repeat, until we either took the foot off the gas, or ran out of puff (after consecutive 6 day breaks and match in Perth on a hot day), in the last quarter, when they were able to get a bit of space again and managed to move the ball very quickly forward a few times.

I watched a little of the St Kilda v Sydney game, had to go out so couldn't watch it all, but if that's the case it sounds more like St Kildas structure and defensive pressure forcing Sydney to constantly give the quick hands.

Secondly, I love the number of posts on the Richmond board saying 'Riewoldt v Riewoldt!' and 'Jack needs to kick 4 or more and we'll win'. That seeming over dependence works well for us. I actually think Jack going off last year helped Richmond, because it threw out our back structure. Beforehand, we knew that they were going to Jack, and someone like Blake could get across to create a two on one. However, when he went off, they became unpredictable. It's fantastic that we're not relying on our Riewoldt anymore, yet he still has the ability to really do some damaged if not properly addressed.

While your first point is quite interesting, this is way off the mark.We are nowhere near as dependent on Jack as we were in 2010 (yes, it was that long ago we depended on him to win a game). He can win a game off his own boot, but he hasn't done it this year.

^^ good report Tommy

I think if we bring that same intensity to win the contested ball and force pressure plays on Richmond the way we did last week. We will win this game.

That 3rd quater last week, brought a tear to my eye. Seeing how hard they pushed and pressurized forward, it was an amazing job by our mids and small forwards. I mean even Milne layed a ripping tackle to win the ball.

The Tiges are a good team now. They have been very very good for 3 weeks in a row now.

But who could beat us at our best this year?

We kicked 6 goals 5 to 2 goals 1 in a quater against the flow, against the best side in the comp by a mile, at there home in Subi.

The team needs to work on how to produce that high performance football for longer periods.

If we bring that on Friday night, we win.

That's pretty much a description of every clearing play in the AFL isn't it?
It is to a degree, but I go to basically all our games in Melbourne every year and the degree of their handballing and the speed of it in the first quarter last week really stood out. It was very obvious and impressive and you don't see it to that degree often at all. A lot of teams just do one or two quick handballs in a pack, or centre bounce and then try to move it forward, but they were doing like 5 or 6 very short and sharp ones at times, in a very small area. They had us a bit bamboozled.

There were even two occasions in that quarter where they handballed it to a mate, who had someone as little as a foot away from them, yet they still gave him the ball and the amazing thing was that on both occasions whoever it was was able to then get their handball off before being tackled! That's how quickly they were moving it.

Considering alot Tigers supporters are saying they have best midfield in AFL, i find it funny they are 17th in clearances & Saints 9th!

CLEARANCES

StKilda – 9th
Richmond – 17th

HITOUTS

StKilda – 16th
Richmond – 10th

Hayes 6th in clearances & Dal Santo 20th isn’t bad considering we are ranked 16th in hitouts! Tigers have Tuck 13th as only player in top 20!

Considering alot Tigers supporters are saying they have best midfield in AFL, i find it funny they are 17th in clearances & Saints 9th!

CLEARANCES

StKilda – 9th
Richmond – 17th

HITOUTS

StKilda – 16th
Richmond – 10th

Hayes 6th in clearances & Dal Santo 20th isn’t bad considering we are ranked 16th in hitouts! Tigers have Tuck 13th as only player in top 20!

hi aussie. just a note. dont take totals as the true indicator. the clubs take differentials as the true marker, ie when teams get beat those numbers tend to blow out ie we had plus 29 in cp's last week.

We are second for average disposals with 392, we average 212 kicks and 180 handballs a game,

Well that's still very close suggesting perhaps that instead of being and offensive team you're the ones being "offended", compared to the saints, we may not have as many disposals but we do have a 216 kicks to 138 handballs, suggesting we don't like to nurse the ball across half back until there's an opening in our one way structure, instead suggesting we have a range of options where we can kick and advance the ball.

Furthermore, we have a problem with our 2 main ruckmen out, yet we only average 4.7 less hitouts a game while averaging an extra 2 clearances a game. Suggesting that our midfield is somewhat better this is supported even more by the fact we have over 6 more tackles a game.

You can argue all you like about having a better midfield, that in some aspects is true, in others it isnt, but the simple fact is we've conseeded a total of 26 less points this year while averaging an extra 4 points per game on the board for us. These numbers are extremely close, but in the end the stats say it all.

Saints by 24.

hi aussie. just a note. dont take totals as the true indicator. the clubs take differentials as the true marker, ie when teams get beat those numbers tend to blow out ie we had plus 29 in cp's last week.

But its more fun this way :D:D:D:D

Flea. Just a note. If you're ranked 17th in an 18 team comp in anything it's a fair bet you're losing those differentials week in, week out.

Also the hitouts & clearance stats were averages, not total points.... Just the Hayes/Dal/Tuck were total points

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 10: St Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back