Preview Round 10: St Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily. If you have watched us play a game this year you would realise we don't have many stoppages. We were ranked =1st for disposal efficiency with Hawthorn before last week and fair to say we would now be outright 1st as they were rubbish. Because of this and our high possession game style we don't have a lot of stoppages. Hard to get clearances when there's nothing to clear it from. That's why the clearance differential is important when judging our clearance ability.
Actually (facetiousness aside) there is a story under the veneer of the stats. Richmond games don't feature substantially lower clearance numbers, but the West Coast game aside, the losses have coincided with being smashed in the clearances. Hence the statistical skew.

Saints are favourites and most expect they will win, pulling up a couple of moronic quotes from the tiger board doesnt really work, looking forward to a good game and hope we can be competitive both teams have played some good footy this year in parts

Not necessarily. If you have watched us play a game this year you would realise we don't have many stoppages. We were ranked =1st for disposal efficiency with Hawthorn before last week and fair to say we would now be outright 1st as they were rubbish. Because of this and our high possession game style we don't have a lot of stoppages. Hard to get clearances when there's nothing to clear it from. That's why the clearance differential is important when judging our clearance ability.

It's also a good effort for Ivan to have us 10th on the Hitout list as there are not a lot of ball-ups/throw-ins in our games.

Overall clearance stats are obviously silly to look at , with teams playing different styles, obviously a team that forces stoppages will have more chance of winning clearances, the stat that matters is clearances vs opponent, and in that we are ranked pretty highly top 3-4 if i remember rightly

Actually (facetiousness aside) there is a story under the veneer of the stats. Richmond games don't feature substantially lower clearance numbers, but the West Coast game aside, the losses have coincided with being smashed in the clearances. Hence the statistical skew.

We beat Geelong in clearances, and were just beaten by Essendon. We were comprehensively beaten in rounds 1 & 2 by Carlton and Collingwood, and the clearance blowouts were basically in one quarter in both games.

So I think what you are trying to say is, that we have seen a vast improvement in our competitiveness at clearances since very early in the season ;)

Been very impressed with B.Houli this year...
Decent kick, plays tough footy, and has good run and carry to break the lines.
Kind of reminds me of Sam Gilbert when he was at peak (both lefties, but Houli can kick the ball, but is shorter than Gilbert)
He doesn't play tough footy - he goes to ground far too often and easily. That is not his role however. You are spot on with his run and carry and his ability to spot someone up along the wing is probably only matched by Chris Newman which he may have overpassed this year as Newy's kicking has been down (trying to do too much I think). Gilbert is far better in the air than Houli also.

I think this game is likely to be won or lost in our back half.

I think the midfields will break even as there is so much class left in the Saints engine room and a hell of a lot more experience which will definately hold them in good stead. I can see Maric dominating the ruck, along with Vickery giving him a good chop out so I see us winning that battle, but like a few Saints supporters have said your mids are good at sharking taps from opposition rucks so I see the midfield battle as a whole being a break even affair.

The forward pressure that your forwards apply has been outstanding so far and if Milne gets going early and kicks goals from turnovers it will make things difficult for us. Hopefully Morris is up to the job. We get Batchelor back which is a massive coup for us, along with big Benny Griffiths who should line up on Nick Riewoldt or whoever is roaming around CHF. If we can create run out of defence then I think you guys will have a hard time keeping up with our midfield as we spread really well from contests and our guys are beginning to run both ways which means we are giving up less goals from overlap resulting from turnovers.

Should be a scorcher! Can't wait :cool:

Key match ups:
Milne - Morris
Hayes - Tuck
Jones - Cotchin
Goddard - Deledio (???)
Whoever plays on Jack - Jack

So I think what you are trying to say is, that we have seen a vast improvement in our competitiveness at clearances since very early in the season ;)
See, you really should be thanking me for all of these wonderful opportunities I am giving you to disprove the perception that Tiger supporters have no brains :cool:

Respect goes both ways. Most tigers think we can win but aren't saying it's a guarantee, probably just observational bias on my part but most Saints seem to be saying it's a win full stop (I've only seen a few say it's a danger game), do correct me if I'm wrong.

of course it's a danger game, we were beaten by Port

On a lighthearted note, the number of Richmond posters in this thread is astounding!
Keep the banter up boys!

Even more astounding is to have this many opposition supporters on our board and not have any trouble.

Well done everyone. :thumbsu:

For us, this is a game unlike any other so far this season! We're playing a team that is thereabouts with us and playing similarly well against similar opponents, and striving for a similar thing.

This will be a ripping contest, can't wait! Best of luck to your mob, hoping for no injuries and all that.

This sounds a bit silly but I'm hoping the game lives up to expectation and that it's not a blow out either way.
I'd hate for either of these teams (ecspecially the tiges!)to lose momentum from here as the. 2 teams are enjoyable to watch at the moment.

Respect goes both ways. Most tigers think we can win but aren't saying it's a guarantee, probably just observational bias on my part but most Saints seem to be saying it's a win full stop (I've only seen a few say it's a danger game), do correct me if I'm wrong.

Very small sample size, personally I had it 55-45 Richmonds way with my obvious bias flipping it our way. Individuals on both sides claiming a clear victory are individuals no one needs to bother reading anything from, and frankly, some us come to team boards to get away from opp supporters so you generally won't see us engage in these sorts of discussions all that often.

tigger.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whos getting ahead of themselves? Cant imagine what'd you'd say if you had real ruckmen

How is saying I think Blake and Kosi can break even with Maric getting ahead of myself? Maric has been good this year but he isn't superman, while Blake and Kosi have rucked quite a lot in the past and are no slouches. Blake managed 31 hitouts against Sydney which is more than any other ruckman in that match.

Maric will probably have the edge in the ruck but he might struggle to match Blake and Kosi around the ground and when they push forward.

Honestly this is probably the largest opposition forum discussion thread I've seen the Tiger supporters participate in this year, credit to you guys for making us welcome.

This is probably first time any opposition fans have actually joined us in disciussing up coming game, well in a civilazed matter anyway. Im upto Page 7 and i have posts per page set to highest!! Normally it takes to end of game to get this big...

Hope the game lives upto the hype now :eek:

How is saying I think Blake and Kosi can break even with Maric getting ahead of myself? Maric has been good this year but he isn't superman, while Blake and Kosi have rucked quite a lot in the past and are no slouches. Blake managed 31 hitouts against Sydney which is more than any other ruckman in that match.

Maric will probably have the edge in the ruck but he might struggle to match Blake and Kosi around the ground and when they push forward.
I think you'll find he is superman.

The stoppages (just for something different) will again be a crucial factor here. Players like Grigg, much like Simpson from Carlton are shutdown by denying them supply through winning clearances.

Morris has been a great pickup for Richmond, but Tigers fans are deluding themselves if they think Milney plays anything like Cyril. Milne will be something Morris has yet to come up against.

Saad/Houli matchup would be great for multiculturalism of our great game. Saad has the ability to get loose as Houli likes to follow the play.

We must take advantage of our opportunities in front of goal. Milne kicked 4.7 last year.

Our pressure on the ball carrier will be far greater than anything Hawthorn put up on Saturday.

Can't wait for the game.

It would be very wrong to think that Hawthorn's pressure against us is the measuring stick for how we cope under pressure. Apart from melbourne and maybe Port, their pressure would be the worst from all the remaining games. it's the games against geelong, WCE, dons and the pies where we competed very well despite alot of pressure. yes, we lost those games, but by small margins - we were very much in those games in the last quarter. both teams will need to avoid lapses in pressure and effort to avoid the opposition getting away. that was our downfall against those teams - just 10 min lapses/drop off in intensity cost us games.

should be good viewing :footy:

Cotchin, Dellllleedddiiioooo, Foley, Tuck, Martin, Grigg

Hown are the Saints going to stop this midfield machine with big ivan putting it down there throats.

Probably in a similar manner to the way we stopped Judd, Murphy, Simpson etc with Kruezer and Hampson putting it down their throats.

I'm hearing a few rumours around work that the game is officially sold out of GA tickets, which is a bit worrying for me considering I was gonna get there first thing with my GA membership :(

Just tried and was able to "get" tickets so not sold out yet. If i was you i probably wouldnt risk rocking up on day though.

I'm hearing a few rumours around work that the game is officially sold out of GA tickets, which is a bit worrying for me considering I was gonna get there first thing with my GA membership :(

I had a feeling this would be sellout, luckily I got my tickets yesterday!

This will be the third time I’ll be heading to watch the saints play this year (saw saints vs dockers and saints vs hawks).
Hopefully it isn’t third time unlucky for me :(

Maric to me (particularly in the past month) has been more impressive around the ground than in the hit outs, which of course is also where Blake and Kosi are better.

for example

Hawks with Hale and Roughead had 41 hitouts the Saints with Kosi and Blake 35 (Stanley 7)

Against the Tigers Hale and Roughead had 42 hitouts to Maric and Vickery's 40.

Maric will have an edge, but it's not a match winning one.

Shizzle, so if it sells out before we get there we won't get in? That's no good...

And let's keep the 'preview' and 'gameday' thread the same. No point having a game day thread with 50 replies in it.

Oh and cos I'm a stats nerd. The largest gameday/preview topic was the Round 1 game against Port Adelaide this year with over 600 replies. The match against Hawthorn this year was also top few with around 450 I think. So basically the largest threads are generally the ones where we have something to bitch about I suppose....R1 was incredibly large due to the hype of a new year and coach I guess. Plus the piss poor umpiring haha.

This one is well on track.

Used to love seeing the gameday threads with like 30-40 posts back in the day. Come a fair way!

Didn't we start Round 1 about 2 months out!! Love to know most posts before game, reckon this would be record.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 10: St Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back