Preview Round 11 - Hawthorn v Brisbane 1.10pm Sunday -Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed for Brain, reckon he showed enough for an extended run but I guess something has to give, maybe last in first out.

Hoping Smith is the sub, Brain showed the debutant isn't the sub rule is gone, so there's a chance.

Really hope Sharpie has cemented his spot, and Bruuuuuce and Bez have changed the midfield dynamic completely so hope that remains too.

Brain is just unlucky that we have a backlog of players in the position he would ordinarily play at the moment. I know Kai had injuries, but it is not too dissimilar to Kai's predicament trying to break into the forward line last year.

Do you not like Fagan as our coach? Real question as you are constantly posting negatively about him. If so who do you suggest from the available list of coaches to replace him?
Where did I say anything remotely about not liking Fagan or replacing him in my post? We were talking about debutants not being sub 😐

to repeat- Real question as you are constantly posting negatively about him
How is that posting negatively when it is simply asking a question why the journos, not Fagan, the journos haven’t asked the question when Mike Whiting on TRD even asked aloud when has it changed. So I’ve asked, why don’t they ask or is it because Fagan is quite prickly in PC and they’re intimidated by him. Are you actually saying Fagan hasn’t been which so many on here have been saying in recent months.

Trust me, if I have something to say about anything, I’ll say it, unlike you who is trying to have a dig at me about supposedly something I’m not saying because you’re trying to start something.

Do you not like Fagan as our coach? Real question as you are constantly posting negatively about him. If so who do you suggest from the available list of coaches to replace him?
I think you can like someone and still be critical of them. I was critical of Berry for a good while, but it didn't mean I didn't like him, I just wanted to see him improve or move out of the way so other players who might have been better wingers than him could get a chance.

I had to eat my words over the past few games after he got moved back to his natural position, and I couldn't be happier about that (though I'll also say, my faith in our backup wingers was vindicated, as Sharp and Reville have played well when they were given the chance).

Fages has done an immense amount of good for the club, but he is capable of contradicting himself and making mistakes, because it's human to do that. And those have to be brought up and held to account if we're to grow beyond them with him at the helm.

I wish one of the journos would actually ask Fagan why a debutant won’t be sub has gone out the window when Fagan was the one that actually said it. What’s changed? Fish mentioned it in TRD and yet he doesn’t ask Fagan. Go figure. Fagan’s press conferences are a joke now that he’s created this environment whereby the journos are pretty much intimidated by him that they mostly just ask fluff piece type questions so as not to get Fagan prickly.

I mean it definitely sucks but it’s a weird situation. If you’re selecting a team and Brain doesn’t make the 22 but is the 23rd man up is that an opportunity you pass up. We’d all like to think Brain has a future at this club but such things aren’t guaranteed at all. Do you drop someone out of the best 22 just to avoid playing a debutant as sun or do you just not debut Brain and see if there’s more injuries later in the year?

I think he deserved a spot over Prior against Adelaide but the coaches didn’t, but with players coming back from injury do you really snub a player from a debut at all just because they would be a substitute?

It’s one of those rules that are great in theory but don’t always work out. I’d imagine Brain would’ve jumped at the chance at any debut after making his way onto the list as a supplementary selection.

I think you can like someone and still be critical of them. I was critical of Berry for a good while, but it didn't mean I didn't like him, I just wanted to see him improve or move out of the way so other players who might have been better wingers than him could get a chance.

I had to eat my words over the past few games after he got moved back to his natural position, and I couldn't be happier about that (though I'll also say, my faith in our backup wingers was vindicated, as Sharp and Reville have played well when they were given the chance).

Fages has done an immense amount of good for the club, but he is capable of contradicting himself and making mistakes, because it's human to do that. And those have to be brought up and held to account if we're to grow beyond them with him at the helm.
And on top of that, me included, I’ve never read or heard anyone say that they don’t like Fages or appreciate and respect EVERYTHING he’s done for our club and as you say, it doesn’t mean you can’t criticise him. The fact people like Long Lion are trying to say otherwise is absurd and insulting.

Hmm.

Brain out unlucky. Won't pretend it's an outrage or that he will be the difference between winning and losing. But i thought he was better than Answerth last week so should have stayed.

Seems clear to me we will be playing a tall for hipwood, only question is whether that is sub or 22.

Reasoning being: we have not played 2 genuine rucks since what 2020? So H Smith would be one emergency.

Joyce is definitely not playing. So he is another emergency.

We surely won't have 3 talls as emergency. So the third one won't be Ryan.

So Ryan plays in some form.

LOCKED IN FROM THE 7: Ah Chee (in good form) Answerth (we wouldn't be dropping 2 small defenders from the 23) Bailey (clear best 22)

Tunstill has not really smashed the door down so assume he is the third emergency with Smith and Joyce.

Ryan and Sharp would be the 22nd and 23rd players. I suspect Ryan plays as he would be a very weird choice as sub. So Sharp sub.

Sharp pretty unlucky in my view. Has really grown in confidence. Disposal improved. Awesome running power which we need.

Ryan i just like the look of from what i've seen albeit only in highlights. Better marking target than Hipwood, but worse runner especially re speed.

LEFT FIELD THEORY Oscar plays as a key forward, Smith starts as ruckman. I don't hate it. Big O had a carey like quarter once at docklands v north i think?

Incidentally it seems Fort is a fair way back now. He was terrible in the ruck v GWS but Briggs is a bad match-up for him. Still think he is a handy target up forward - a one grab player.

Hmm.

Brain out unlucky. Won't pretend it's an outrage or that he will be the difference between winning and losing. But i thought he was better than Answerth last week so should have stayed.

Seems clear to me we will be playing a tall for hipwood, only question is whether that is sub or 22.

Reasoning being: we have not played 2 genuine rucks since what 2020? So H Smith would be one emergency.

Joyce is definitely not playing. So he is another emergency.

We surely won't have 3 talls as emergency. So the third one won't be Ryan.

So Ryan plays in some form.

LOCKED IN FROM THE 7: Ah Chee (in good form) Answerth (we wouldn't be dropping 2 small defenders from the 23) Bailey (clear best 22)

Tunstill has not really smashed the door down so assume he is the third emergency with Smith and Joyce.

Ryan and Sharp would be the 22nd and 23rd players. I suspect Ryan plays as he would be a very weird choice as sub. So Sharp sub.

Sharp pretty unlucky in my view. Has really grown in confidence. Disposal improved. Awesome running power which we need.

Ryan i just like the look of from what i've seen albeit only in highlights. Better marking target than Hipwood, but worse runner especially re speed.

LEFT FIELD THEORY Oscar plays as a key forward, Smith starts as ruckman. I don't hate it. Big O had a carey like quarter once at docklands v north i think?

Incidentally it seems Fort is a fair way back now. He was terrible in the ruck v GWS but Briggs is a bad match-up for him. Still think he is a handy target up forward - a one grab player.
Yes it looks like we are going like for like with Ryan replacing Hippy. Ryan has at least some AFL experienced. Guess the coaching believes like for like is best even though Ryan hasn’t been knocking down the door in the vfl.

As you say means Sharp will most likely be Sub. Not ideal as his whole of game running is his greatest attribute. Not outraged that Brain didn’t get a full game, just abit disappointed for him. Guess the thinking is, not good for his development to have 3 games as sub, better to get a full game in vfl.

Very Fages approach to selection and player rotation.

Most people see Sharp as sub, I reckon the only other option is Answerth. Ah Chee and Bailey I reckon play over both of them. At the same time both I think might force a shuffle of positions.

Sharp out means either Ah Chee or Bailey go to the wing leaving the other in the forward line. Otherwise we are forcing Berry out wide to put Bailey on ball (would be a big step back after the last few weeks)

Answerth out means someone has to pick up more back time. Again Ah Chee is the most flexible. Otherwise we are pushing Fletcher or Berry back more. Again neither is ideal and moves more players around

Most people see Sharp as sub, I reckon the only other option is Answerth. Ah Chee and Bailey I reckon play over both of them. At the same time both I think might force a shuffle of positions.

Sharp out means either Ah Chee or Bailey go to the wing leaving the other in the forward line. Otherwise we are forcing Berry out wide to put Bailey on ball (would be a big step back after the last few weeks)

Answerth out means someone has to pick up more back time. Again Ah Chee is the most flexible. Otherwise we are pushing Fletcher or Berry back more. Again neither is ideal and moves more players around
If Ryan is coming into the 22, maybe we run Bailey as the Sub to ease him back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes it looks like we are going like for like with Ryan replacing Hippy. Ryan has at least some AFL experienced. Guess the coaching believes like for like is best even though Ryan hasn’t been knocking down the door in the vfl.

As you say means Sharp will most likely be Sub. Not ideal as his whole of game running is his greatest attribute. Not outraged that Brain didn’t get a full game, just abit disappointed for him. Guess the thinking is, not good for his development to have 3 games as sub, better to get a full game in vfl.

Very Fages approach to selection and player rotation.
I think the weird thing about Sharp sub for me is that his strength is being able to run out a whole game, not insane speed. So sub doesn't really unleash that.

Anyway not going to agonise over it! Interested to see how he goes. Not sure he has much to prove given the hawks wanted to keep him but players tend to go okay against their old club for whatever reason.

Interesting to note the Ryan trade was a classic see how they finish before we decide one - future second rounder was our main thing we gave up

If we finish 10th will seem a bit expensive!

I really hope we keep Ah Chee in to play the linc role. Linc a very underrated player and ah chee the best like for like, good in the air, good pace and tackler. They should let him settle in to a role for the first time!

I really hope we keep Ah Chee in to play the linc role. Linc a very underrated player and ah chee the best like for like, good in the air, good pace and tackler. They should let him settle in to a role for the first time!
I totally agree I'd love him to be locked into that role for the rest of the year. But I can see why he is the easiest player to move around the team to fill gaps too

And on top of that, me included, I’ve never read or heard anyone say that they don’t like Fages or appreciate and respect EVERYTHING he’s done for our club and as you say, it doesn’t mean you can’t criticise him. The fact people like Long Lion are trying to say otherwise is absurd and insulting.
I'm surprised you have taken my question so hard that you have found it to be insulting. I asked if your liked him as you appear to post a lot of negative posts about him You have now answered my question and I am pleased to hear that you do in fact like him. We can all move on now.

I would assume Harry Sharp will be the sub, I expect the Hawks to target Brandon Ryan and run off him on offence, I hope we jump early and sub Sharp in if Ryan, Daniher and Morris isn't working.

I hope it works ...
200w.gif

I'm surprised you have taken my question so hard that you have found it to be insulting. I asked if your liked him as you appear to post a lot of negative posts about him You have now answered my question and I am pleased to hear that you do in fact like him. We can all move on now.
Hard; give it a rest. You’re the one who even mentioned anyone or me not liking Fagan when that has never been written anywhere and then carry on about me being negative about Fagan when I’ve praised him a lot and been critical like many have, which after all is the purpose of a forum of people with differing views. But sure let’s all sit around and circle jerk one another praising everything and everyone at the Lions in fear of hurting anyone’s sensitive little feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back