Preview Round 13, 2024: Hawthorn v GWS Giants, 8 June 2024, 1.45pm @ UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have just scored over 100 two weeks in a time for the first time in ages, so even though the Wizard/Wingard show happened in the reserves I can’t see us making any changes bar injury and/or Meek coming back. Remember it is much easier to look good in the reserves against a crappy team that you are thrashing.

We have just scored over 100 two weeks in a time for the first time in ages, so even though the Wizard/Wingard show happened in the reserves I can’t see us making any changes bar injury and/or Meek coming back. Remember it is much easier to look good in the reserves against a crappy team that you are thrashing.
How dare you besmirch the good name and standing on this board of the Essendon Football Club, albeit their VFL side. Surely an unprecedented attack. lol

A few guys at Box Hill are pushing for selection. Finn, Chad, Wiz, Ramsden, Ward and Morrison all performing well.

Here are some highlights...

Thanks Argy. Nice highlights albeit against mediocre opponent. Other than the big names with big stats, I thought Hustwaite's handballs are elite for any level. Wiz is very nippy and will cause headaches at AFL once he gets back in.
Ward, Finn, Morrison and Wingard probably did what we would expect.
Who is number 76? Looked a very likely type although needs to fill out a bit.
Bailey Mac impressive speed. Will be exciting if he can elevate to AFL level consistently.

A few guys at Box Hill are pushing for selection. Finn, Chad, Wiz, Ramsden, Ward and Morrison all performing well.

Here are some highlights...

I particularly liked the "derka derk!" chants of the Windy Hill faithful...
yelling tv show GIF by South Park

Thanks Argy. Nice highlights albeit against mediocre opponent. Other than the big names with big stats, I thought Hustwaite's handballs are elite for any level. Wiz is very nippy and will cause headaches at AFL once he gets back in.
Ward, Finn, Morrison and Wingard probably did what we would expect.
Who is number 76? Looked a very likely type although needs to fill out a bit.
Bailey Mac impressive speed. Will be exciting if he can elevate to AFL level consistently.
76 is Remy Maclean, the guy who was marked to be picked in MSD and was ignored by all. Tiger fans were spewing they left him on table and passed on 2 picks.

We need to hide him a bit, you can see potential all over him.

76 is Remy Maclean, the guy who was marked to be picked in MSD and was ignored by all. Tiger fans were spewing they left him on table and passed on 2 picks.

We need to hide him a bit, you can see potential all over him.
He was extremely good in the game, definitely wouldn't mind us having a look. A lot to work with there.

Looking at the sides
Our DEFENCE looks a good match up
Frost vs Hogan
Scrimshaw vs Riccardi
Sicily vs Brown(defensive tag)
Weddle vs Greene
Mitchell vs Daniels
Impey vs Bedford
Hawks 7th defender is Amon who will rotate with Mitchell & Impey
Giants 7th forward is Cadman which will rotate with Hogan & Riccardi
Our FORWARD line looks a lot smaller vs the Giants defenders
Gunston vs Taylor
Chol vs Aleer
Dear vs Himmelberg
Hardwick vs Idun
We don't have a defensive tag for Whitfield this week so you would think it will be a group effort this week when they will role Moore, McDonald & Ginnivan through him to try and make him worry about them going the other way!
Losing Aish, Buckley, Cumming & Perryman helps us because they are very thin for small defenders(left on their list is Hamilton)
So they might have to play Haynes on a small forward and even some midfielder's like Angwin or Peatling back to stop our mosquito fleet!!
But it's our MIDFIELD where they have quality that we can match but they don't have the depth compared to us due to injury(Kelly & Coniglio)
Reeves vs Briggs
Worpel vs Green
Nash vs Callaghan(moved from the wing)
Newcombe vs Ward
Day vs ????
Then you have the 3 rotation of our wingman Jiath, D'Ambrosio & Mackenzie vs Wehr & O'Halloran
Losing Callaghan from the wing to move him into the centre helps our run and carry having Jiath and Massimo in Tassie and the wide wings!
Meek would be perfect this week for the match up vs Briggs so Reeves is up against it, if he can nulify Briggs influence we could grind away against the 3 main midfielder's but then you could see we could get on top!!
Hawks by 23 points

Last edited:
For us to become a good side we need to turn up, be switched on, tackle, play with intensity and put the bodies on the line every week rain hail or shine. As Mitch said the other week it’s great that we have turned up and brought the pressure over the last 5 weeks but the good sides do it for 20 weeks and we aren’t there yet.

That’s what I most want to see this Saturday ……. see if the clubs development has jumped another level in maturity.

If we can win two of the next three, that's a spectacular result. It's actually a tough run - GWS are potentially Top 4; Tigers (a current bogie side) get Lynch back and celebrate Dusty's 300th; and Cats at their home ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting Sam mentioned we have 2-3 guys in line for a fitness test this week, who would they be?

Reeves probably, no idea who else.

Given he specifically mentioned how important getting the ball to ground was I can’t see any tall players coming out.

One change I think, Breust out for Watson.

Interesting Sam mentioned we have 2-3 guys in line for a fitness test this week, who would they be?

Given he specifically mentioned how important getting the ball to ground was I can’t see any tall players coming out.

Doesn’t Breust need to play every game bar 1 to reach 300? Sub seems the natural spot for him to be nursed to 300, just like he started out in his senior career as the sub.

GWS have a decent sized injury list. They'll be missing their second best key defender in Buckley, as well as 2 of their better mids in Kelly and Coniglio. This is 100% winnable for us, particularly in Tassie.

If we're really ready to give finals a tilt we should monster them through the middle.

I wonder which of our 3 tall forwards is going to cop newly signed Sam Taylor?
Hope it's Gunston and he can use his smarts to lead him away from contests.

I wonder which of our 3 tall forwards is going to cop newly signed Sam Taylor?
Hope it's Gunston and he can use his smarts to lead him away from contests.

We will probably attempt to play Taylor like we did with Andrews, getting Gunston to lead up and away from the others to deny his intercepting. As a side note, I love the fact that Gunston/Chol/Dear almost never get in the way of each other.

Serong and Meek. But I can't see either being brought into the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back