Will AshcroftKnee4-6 weeks
Keidean ColemanKneeSeason
Tom DoedeeKneeSeason
Darcy GardinerKneeSeason
Lincoln McCarthyKneeSeason
Carter MichaelKneeTest
Updated: June 4, 2024

Early prognosis​

Brandon Starcevich has overcome a calf injury that has seen him miss four games and is available again. McCarthy was at the Lions training base on Tuesday and will remain on crutches for another couple of weeks before progressing to unassisted walking as part of his rehabilitation. – Michael Whiting

DOGS

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Nick CoffieldShoulder3-5 weeks
Ryan GardnerWrist10-12 weeks
James HarmesHamstring2-4 weeks
Jason JohannisenHamstring5-6 weeks
Tom LiberatoreConcussionTest
Aaron NaughtonKnee3-5 weeks
Ed RichardsConcussionTest
Anthony ScottConcussionTest
Bailey SmithKneeSeason
Cody WeightmanElbow2-4 weeks
Laitham VandermeerHamstringTest
Updated: June 4, 2024

Early prognosis​

Liberatore and Richards are both expected to return against Brisbane this Friday night after dealing with recent concussion issues. Scott is also a chance to be available if he can pass concussion protocols. Vandermeer will need to prove his fitness after injuring his hamstring against Collingwood. Harmes won't be available until after the bye after straining his hamstring last Friday night. – Josh Gabelich
It's even shorter if you take out the injured players!!!!

Good to see Michael off the “weeks” and now into a test.

He looked good two years ago so I’ll be very interested in what he can offer when he finally plays for the twos and as his contract is up this year you’d think this back half of the year is literally make or break. Perhaps Shadeau has gone past him but I’m rooting for Carter and hope he shows something because it seems a small achievement just to see him back playing again.
Unfortunately for Carter he would have to have a standout VFL return to even be considered being retained by the club.
We will have to delist 7-8 players for 2025 and he would be one of them if they had to decide now.

2024: OOC
Jarrod Berry
Jarryd Lyons
Kalin Lane (R)
Jaxon Prior
James Madden
Ryan Lester (R)
Darragh Joyce (R)
Dayne Zorko
Carter Michael
Bruce Reville (R)
Luke Beecken (R)
Darcy Craven (R)

2024: OOC
Jarrod Berry
Jarryd Lyons
Kalin Lane (R)
Jaxon Prior
James Madden
Ryan Lester (R)
Darragh Joyce (R)
Dayne Zorko
Carter Michael
Bruce Reville (R)
Luke Beecken (R)
Darcy Craven (R)
The only ones on that list who are certain to be with us in 2025(if they want to be) are Jarrod Berry, Ryan Lester, Dayne Zorko and Bruce Reville IMO, that leaves 8 under the gun.

The only ones on that list who are certain to be with us in 2025(if they want to be) are Jarrod Berry, Ryan Lester, Dayne Zorko and Bruce Reville IMO, that leaves 8 under the gun.
I believe the following may also get a year to see what they have.

Luke Beecken (R)
Darcy Craven (R)

Listening to Stephen Conole during the MSD, he mentioned at least one of them will be a slow burn. The other OOC players are known quantities and if they are not tearing up the VFL they'll be delisted.

The process sucks and so many good people have to leave, but it is what it is.

Cam Rayner - More time in the mid-field? or more time in reserve grade?

What is the best option for the Club to get Rayner's career on track?
I think that the Cam Rayner is ‘undroppable’ is a bad team look. Everyone should be accountable. His hands are like besser bricks at the moment. He can not pick up the ball or mark with one touch. It very obvious once you see it. Fumbles every time.
I think he needs time in the VFL to regain touch but ultimately I think he is surplus to the Lions needs going into the future. I wouldn’t say this if he was performing but he has not played well in most matches and I think the time has come to stop the soft touch approach and give him an ultimatum.

No motivation to trade Cam Rayner? (Can't Rainer - having a form drought?)

Im pretty sure Lions have seen the future with what he has (or hasnt) produced. A different coach may get more out of him, but he hasnt repaid the faith Fagan (and the club) has put into him, considering hes a former number 1 pick (wow) and never suffered the indignity of getting dropped for poor performance (part of the trouble?).

I dont believe Fagan can (consistently) get the best out of him. Rayners inconsistency has proven that. Its not to say he couldn't perform better at another club and/or under another coach. Rayner obviously cant perform in an environment where there are no consequences for inconsistency, and trust is the most applied motivation.

Surely hed be good trade bait?

Last edited:

Im pretty sure Lions have seen the future with what he has (or hasnt) produced. A different coach may get more out of him, but he hasnt repaid the faith Fagan (and the club) has put into him, considering hes a former number 1 pick (wow) and never suffered the indignity of getting dropped for poor performance (part of the trouble?).

I dont believe Fagan can (consistently) get the best out of him. Rayners inconsistency has proven that. Its not to say he couldn't perform better at another club and/or under another coach. Rayner obviously cant perform in an environment where there are no consequences for inconsistency, and trust is the most applied motivation.

Yeah which team wouldn't want the player you just described?

Yeah which team wouldn't want the player you just described?

No one believes he isnt talented. Im sure there are clubs and coaches that believe they can get more out of him thatn he is giving at present (wouldnt be hard).

No, i think he'd be good trade bait. He obviously doesnt want to be a Lion, no matter how much he thinks he does.

He’s actually playing fine in the role he has been given this year. I suspect his role hasn’t changed because we have had to abandon plans we had due to moving magnets to cover injuries, eg I suspect zorko was going to play the hhf midfield linking role and cam was going to get more mid time but we have had to move zorko down back.

Anyway

Who Are You Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

No one believes he isnt talented. Im sure there are clubs and coaches that believe they can get more out of him thatn he is giving at present (wouldnt be hard).

No, i think he'd be good trade bait. He obviously doesnt want to be a Lion, no matter how much he thinks he does.
But, what?
He wants to be a pussy cat?

He’s actually playing fine in the role he has been given this year. I suspect his role hasn’t changed because we have had to abandon plans we had due to moving magnets to cover injuries, eg I suspect zorko was going to play the hhf midfield linking role and cam was going to get more mid time but we have had to move zorko down back.

Anyway

she doesn't even go here mean girls GIF by Gymshark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway

He was rated worst on ground last week. (not including the subs and subbed off). Magnets and Rayner really dont work in the same sentence...

He was rated worst on ground last week. (not including the subs and subbed off). Magnets and Rayner really dont fit in the same sentence...

Imo he would be Geelongs best mid in your midfield from Teemu.

The things that have been raised about Cam on here for a while have now hit the mainstream.

So not much hope of getting any value out of a trade in Cam other than what he offers us already.

Can't add any more than that. We either improve him via targeted training and the selection process or accept what he is and put him where he's best able to help the team and hope he does.

30% of their scores in 25% of game time. Hardly a huge outlier is it?
Their last quarters are 3rd best in the AFL. Given we got steamrolled in both red time and the last quarter against Hawthorn, who were ranked below us on both indicators, we're gonna need to lead by 10 goals on Friday night to hope to hang on.

It's time to bring back Dev IMO. We need someone with his attitude who will be a dog in the contest and run hard both ways, ideally at the expense of Rayner
I agree with you Dev and looking forward to you return. I’m also pleased you re-signed to and can’t wait for you to rip it up in the back half of the year. Also great to have a player post on here 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back