Review Round 15 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Take it & move forward.
They took it to us but the i50 tackle count is ugly for Carlton
View attachment 520017

The inside 50 tackle count showed that Carlton played counter-attacking footy for much of the game. They got their whole team behind the ball for a lot of the game.

Also, while the umpires were reasonable, there was a lot they missed, much of which was to our detriment. For example, there was the early Carlton goal that began with a contest with Dixon on our half forward line. The Carlton player clearly had Dix by the hand and impeded him before another Carlton player collected the ball. It ended up the other end with a Carlton goal. Then there was the treatment Robbie got around the stoppages. Even the commentators saw that.

Good:
Nothing, except maybe Trengove getting through with a solid game

Bad:
Ryder got slaughtered, by Phillips, huge concern.

Sam Rowe got 12 intercept possessions, huge concern.

We let Kade Simpson run around like an unregistered dog getting 37.

Letting the Curnow's and Cripps slaughter us all over the ground.

Dougal Howard getting 5 marks and only 9 1%ers.

Dixon. S.Gray

Pittard's atomic hamstrings.
You have Pittards atomic hamstrings in the wrong category...

Our defense was horrific and by far the reason the game was close.
Defense concedes 10.9, whilst our forwards have 26 more inside 50’s to work from, for an extra 3 goals. As all too often our undersized forward line was the issue, not the Defense.

A Gatorade shower for Trenners
1f6bf.png

The inside 50 tackle count showed that Carlton played counter-attacking footy for much of the game. They got their whole team behind the ball for a lot of the game.

Also, while the umpires were reasonable, there was a lot they missed, much of which was to our detriment. For example, there was the early Carlton goal that began with a contest with Dixon on our half forward line. The Carlton player clearly had Dix by the hand and impeded him before another Carlton player collected the ball. It ended up the other end with a Carlton goal. Then there was the treatment Robbie got around the stoppages. Even the commentators saw that.

Yes Rowe had hold of Charlie right before he kicks the ball of the ground, which resulted in Murphy scoring a goal. Later in the quarter Carlton get a free for....

A hold of the arm.

Last quarter Charlie gets a huge shove out of a contest, a couple of minutes later Casboult gets a free for.....

Being shoved out of a contest.

Ugly win that in previous years would have been a loss. The biggest thing to take out of it all......

Sydney lost.
Geelong lost.
West Coast lost.
Collingwood hopefully lose.
North Melbourne could lose as well.

Percentage is still a worry. We have to belt St Kilda at home next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll take some responsibility for our poor performance.

I’m usually beering before the first bounce of our games but today I went in dry and stayed dry. The boys just seem to play better when I’m drinking.

I know I can improve and I will next week.
The team needs you...wait until October!

Happy with the win . Carlton played well and in Charlie Curnow and Cripps they have two of the most talented players in the comp.
we kept at it and won with a greater spread of good players in our team .
I thought Trengove played quite well as well as Thomas and at the very least we know they're up to AFL standard if not best 22.
Marshall was a bit out of sorts again , Watts would probably have been better value today .
These sides that run hard at us give us a bit of trouble this year I guess because we're not the quickest going around , lucky for Wingard and Gray for giving us that extra class that we so badly need .
Ryder probably only broke even, Wines was beaten by Cripps , Curnow worried our defence , he's a beauty that one .
Sammy Gray was quiet and needs a big one next week . Boak was quiet and Polec , Motlop and Ebert were only serviceable.
Overall bank the 4 points and work hard on the track for next week .

Turned into a stressful game.

Does Dixon fear getting hit on the back of the head? He dips his eyes or runs under the ball.

Our midfield is sloooowwwww.
Loved Wingards game in mid, class. Our midfield is slow, this needs to be fixed at draft. Thought Dix played pretty well after ordinary first qtr.

Defense concedes 10.9, whilst our forwards have 26 more inside 50’s to work from, for an extra 3 goals. As all too often our undersized forward line was the issue, not the Defense.

At one point Carlton had 7 goals from 18 inside 50’s which is horrific.

We looked very very average without Jonas and DBJ back there.

Wingard has been elite the last 4 weeks. The move to the midfield will hopefully be permanent. We have a good mix between Wines, Ebert, Rockliff, SPP, Polec, Motlop (kind of) and now Wingard inside and outside.

I’m happy with the win, I could see near the end of the third Carlton was out of gas, we took it too then after they took it to us.

We aren’t going to win by 100 every week or often so I’m satisfied with a win and equal second. It opens top 4 and two for us now how can we complain about that?

Thought we were the better team for most of the day. Was expecting us to run away with the game in the 3rd quarter after dominating the 2nd. Instead we fail to kick a goal. Just not good enough. Then we got on top in the last, and in the end recorded a reasonably comfortable team.

We're not playing footy that convinces me we're a top four side but I'm still hopeful we can lift our game a notch or 2.

I think some people are underrating this win. Carlton aren't too bad when they decide to try. They lack quality in the bottom half of their team but they have some very good players and can take it up to most teams on their day. We probably lose this game any other year. But there's something different this year.

The first quarter was frustrating. We were well on top but they kicked a goal every time they went forward. We put our dominance on the scoreboard in the second, was one of the best quarters we've played this year. Third quarter was a disaster - scoreless. But the response in the last was fantastic and yet more evidence of the growth and maturity of this team.

Wingard was superb in the middle and chipped in with two important goals up forward.

Westhoff was everywhere.

Thought Motlop played an important role in our ball movement when others were a bit stagnant.

Liked Rocky's game.

LT's efforts top notch.

Trengove excellent on debut. Played his defensive role perfectly, can't remember him even making one mistake.

SPP was good.

Houston had another good one.

All told, a decent win and reasonably happy with the performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 15 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back