Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Hawks cook the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought the midfield was outstanding. Won't single any player out because they were all superb today. Think this is our main edge over Geelong so will be super important next week. Dear copped a knee in the back which was why he was subbed out. Tough game for all our forwards in the first half. WCE dominated in the air in defence. Not much room for our talls. Day did some really good things when he played forward in the second half and offered a second option to Chol who continues his good form. Day has size and is versatile so he's a factor wherever he plays. Could be a weapon there for the team when required. Connor McDonald continues to impress and he and Moore are our best smaller players forward. Both know how to kick a goal. No knock on Ginnivan and Watson but they are both works in progress right now. Goal kicking still shaky. Noticed Weddle kept demanding the ball coming out of defence and when he was finally released he was scintillating through the middle. Huge weapon for the team. Defence held up well. Sicily in great form. Fingers crossed he is OK. Scrimshaw solid, Mass creative and Impey was great in the second half. Jiath was exceptional too. Took some telling marks in defence and provided run and carry going forward. Seems to have put on a bit of size too. Can't really ask for more. Team should be confident going into next week's game.

I can’t believe I’m not as excited as I should be with Mitch Lewis coming back into the side.

Welcome back CJ, thank god I’m not one of the selectors, I would have put him back to Box Hill.

Cam Mackenzie has elite written all over him.

Still think Watson will be AA one day.

Morrison is a good sub.

There were times last year I wished we would finish last to get Harley, no player is bigger than a team.there were times Will Day lined up on him, and I thought I would not swap Will Day for Harley.

I love Chol, Ginni and Mass. I thought it was great recruiting at the time, but it’s the environment that is lead by Sam that has made them right now.

We will beat Geelong next week!

You mentioned on his thread that he needed to start kicking those and I concurred. I was going to post today similar to what you just have. He's converting at a much better percentage since, it's partly set shots but it's those ones on the run or snaps that he's just nailing.

Now if Ginni and the Wiz can sort out their set shots we're a 3 goal a game better side right there.
Agree. I'm more concerned about Watson. Just doesn't seem to have any confidence in front of goal.

I grossly underestimated the team today (or grossly overestimated eagles, not really sure which). Really thought this was going to be tough , given a) Perth, b) coming off bye, c) Eagles fielding perhaps their best team of the year. In the end it was a smashing, and the score flattered eagles given how dominant we were. Maintain this level right to the end of the season, and we'll not only play finals, but have the potential do do some actual damage.

Day and Sicily would be the two worst players injured for us going frwd.
Lewis in for calsher which is an upgrade so no real biggie there but Day and Sicily hopefully right to go. Don't have direct replacement for them. And I'd hate to lose those cats and think what may have been come the end of the game without those two. !
honestly it's no coincidence our whole season turned around since Dear came in, so if he's fit he needs to stay.

I have been watching the hawks for many years. I have never seen a hawthorn team transform itself so quickly and completely as this.
It is a tribute to Sam Mitchell his staff and the recruiters. Thanks to them we are so close to being in it this year.
Nic Watson and Ginnivan were inspired choices. It is genius to build a half forward line in one season
Mitchell has made them and Chol the best half forward line in the comp

Moore and Sicily should be in consideration for mine. Moore especially deserves a spot if he plays the season out at this same level.

But you just know they'll chuck two midfielders on the HFF.
They'll find a spot for Stewart on the HFF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

our small forward line of Macdonald, Watson and Ginnivan is gonna be one of the most-hated of all-time and i can't ****ing wait for it. People are gonna be losing their absolute minds over them. the thought of lapping up oppo tears about them doing weird celebrations, getting high contact free kicks and kicking 5+ between them every game is very exciting

One of the commentators on ABC radio was saying speaking to a few players in the Eagles rooms, they thought Hawks were a good team coming into the game but were surprised how good they really were when playing them, said they thought they are the real deal and very hard to play against.
Also hear a lot of commentators saying this. Against Richmond, Buckley said how much he was looking forward to watching us for the first time since we flicked the swtich, and said later on how he impressed he was. Someone said it today too. Many are also calling us the most watchable team in the league.

The synergy of our midfield group is fantastic at the moment, they all seem to know where one another is at all times. I was expecting a tricky game today but we absolutely ripped them to shreds out of the middle. Next week another big test but it's so good to have a consistent level of output in terms of pressure and effort and selflessness from our mids and defenders.

We obviously have some issues forward, some of it i'll put down to it being a relatively new group, but some of the finishing is just shithouse. Was glad to see the Wiz nail one from a regular run up but his snapping is actually atrocious, it's poor technique. He gets no swing on the ball from right to left so he may as well be kicking drop punts from the pocket.

We are going to be a really scary outfit when it all clicks. I still see opposition fans refer to us as a bottom four side but we are going to cause a few shocks this season even if we fail to make the 8.
There is a video of Watson and Reid playing ‘horse’ (or P.I.G. I think?) and he was nailing shots around the body with ease. I think it could be the extra effort required at the top level to get shots on goal, once he catches up to the pace of the game I think this area will improve. Here’s to hoping anyway!

The rest of his game is good - very good, when the shots start landing there may not be anyone that can stop him.

I grossly underestimated the team today (or grossly overestimated eagles, not really sure which). Really thought this was going to be tough , given a) Perth, b) coming off bye, c) Eagles fielding perhaps their best team of the year. In the end it was a smashing, and the score flattered eagles given how dominant we were. Maintain this level right to the end of the season, and we'll not only play finals, but have the potential do do some actual damage.
Eagles showed today that at full strenth they are a bottom 4 side.

what's it like being an opposition supporter in that animal house?
It has improved, ever so slightly. Once upon a time, you were verballed even after a loss. Now, through generational change it is far better, although still intwined are some real fk sticks.

our small forward line of Macdonald, Watson and Ginnivan is gonna be one of the most-hated of all-time and i can't ****ing wait for it. People are gonna be losing their absolute minds over them. the thought of lapping up oppo tears about them doing weird celebrations, getting high contact free kicks and kicking 5+ between them every game is very exciting
The interesting thing that I noted today is that they are our half forward line at the centre bounces. The rest sit deep....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back