Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was it 50 in the first place though? It was in the contest and he wasn't late. It should have been payed a mark or a free for either high contact or front on contact like every other similar incident is.
I actually agree with you 100%. When I saw it live and the 50m was paid, I yelled out 'b*****t'. In that situation, there isn't much he can do, free kick is obviously there, but that's it. If he gets a week for that, my interest in AFL will go down as it's quickly becoming a joke.

The people saying Weller isn't ready would have said the same about Alex Pearce.
We just have to get rid of Mayne, Suban, DeBoer, Duffield permanently and Clarke and Ballantyne till they remember how to play footy with Peel.

Josh S was out of order but he is the exact player we could use now fast, left and right foot could hit targets, i always tell the wife how I like Ross not running out there and back slapping players like some coaches but he has stayed very loyal to a few that are not repaying the faith.
I also think that Zac does not get enough ruck time which takes away his confidence, probably because Sandi is such a poor forward. Zac got talent but of late seems lost out there, his first six , eight weeks were very good.
It's clear we need more skill and pace out there and some rational hard decision have to be made with out throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Josh S was out of order but he is the exact player we could use now fast, left and right foot could hit targets, i always tell the wife how I like Ross not running out there and back slapping players like some coaches but he has stayed very loyal to a few that are not repaying the faith.
I also think that Zac does not get enough ruck time which takes away his confidence, probably because Sandi is such a poor forward. Zac got talent but of late seems lost out there, his first six , eight weeks were very good.
It's clear we need more skill and pace out there and some rational hard decision have to be made with out throwing the baby out with the bath water.
And what precipitated Simpson's demise was after making an exciting & promising debut he was left out for a half fit Mayne who did nothing & we got our ass handed to us by Sydney. He may never have made it but God I'd have loved to see that kid play another game of football. Instead we banish him to preserve our sacred discipline & persist with Mayne who has barely played a good game since because he's a team driver.
Mayne meanwhile has become a robot devoid of any flair whose obsessive kicking routine has got him so tied in knots he's forgotten how to just naturally kick a footy.
Ballantine couldn't get a kick in a stampede at the moment & we leave out long kicking offensive players like Crozier for the likes of DeBoer who can't kick a football 40M with the wind & Suban whose football IQ is on a par with Stephen Dodd.
Is it any wonder the team is playing like one that is out of ideas?
I actually reckon Fyfey dropped his bundle a bit today when he realized how outclassed we were & that Hawks players had an open ticket to bash up on him today while anything he did was an automatic free to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what precipitated Simpson's demise was after making an exciting & promising debut he was left out for a half fit Mayne who did nothing & we got our ass handed to us by Sydney.

That pissed me off so much.

And what precipitated Simpson's demise was after making an exciting & promising debut he was left out for a half fit Mayne who did nothing & we got our ass handed to us by Sydney. He may never have made it but God I'd have loved to see that kid play another game of football. Instead we banish him to preserve our sacred discipline & persist with Mayne who has barely played a good game since because he's a team driver.
Mayne meanwhile has become a robot devoid of any flair whose obsessive kicking routine has got him so tied in knots he's forgotten how to just naturally kick a footy.
Ballantine couldn't get a kick in a stampede at the moment & we leave out long kicking offensive players like Crozier for the likes of DeBoer who can't kick a football 40M with the wind & Suban whose football IQ is on a par with Stephen Dodd.
I actually reckon Fyfey dropped his bundle a bit today when he realized how outclassed we were & that Hawks players had an open ticket to bash up on him today while anything he did was an automatic free to them.

You put in words much better, but the point is the same. Cliche are wonderful if you stick to them but play your way play your way has not been adhered to, and it probably could never work but Freo started from so far back re disapline we were all greatfull at the time. Now the players going up and down Clarke ,Mz there confidence looks shot, while others get a dream run.
I feel for Fyfe but he is still young and has many gears left, but he can't be the start and finish of the team which he has to learn as well.
The positive is there still could be time to rectify but whole sale changes are to late but boldness and the odd gamble might be required.

Where is Lost_Deputy at... Surely suban and co are all just playing their roles...

Suban - deboer and now mayne are just not skilled enough to get us up against the Hawks. We have to be able to score. They become essentially three passengers.

Clarke was shizen just pure reeking shizen.

We missed an opportunity last week to bring in a youngster or two. I can't see us making wholesale changes but would love to see suban moved on from permanently.

If there aren't changes after a beating like that we are in trouble. I agree they shouldn't be wholesale but Suban - maybe and Sheridan or Duffield out would be way I'm looking for.
Ummm, you and I debated Subes prior to the Lions game. I thought he was poor in his role last week allowing them to scrag and get a hold of our ball winners too much.

Clearly yesterday our structure had gone to shit by the time he came on and Suban then went into a more traditional onballer role for which I have never said he is any good at.

Twice youve tried this "I told u so" BS in the wake of our most gutting loss of the year. Classy.

Anyone else have consistent flash backs of Lake from the 2013 GF taking uncontested marks all arvo? Shudder..

If Ballantyne can't find form against Carlton (at least 2 goals & 15+ touches) he needs to be dropped. Last chance I reckon. Or at least move him up the field to get near the ball/play.

All year I've been against throwing kids in but I think this is the week for 1. Need a bit of life/excitement in the team after that dismal display.

What id like;
Out - MDB Suban Clancee (inj)
In - Weller/Blakely Tabs Croz

What will likely happen
Out - Gu MDB
In - tabs Sutty

Blakely and Weller are not ready Freo. We are still in a very good position. Tassie is a long road trip. Not making excuses but don't lose face just yet over one belting.
How do we know without trying them? I reckon they are plenty ready FWIW.
As I said, they should have been in the team 2 months ago.

Reckon the silver lining of all this is we have a window to make some decisive calls and implement them. Needing intense focus is

- Our fwd line. Ballas and Mayne are currently playing the same bloody role! Add DeBoer up there for periods and you create the arid wasteland we saw 1st hand yesterday. Suma does not fill me with confidence.

- Our structure. We still had just under half a game of footy to go yesterday when our on ball structure went to pieces. No one dropping behind the ball carrier for exits, no creating space offensively, no spread. For a team that prides themselves on discipline, yesterday was a hot mess.

- Playing to our strengths. Sherro is not a backman. Fyfe is most damaging in open play. Ballas is a crumber. Mayne is a good mark/ set shot. Either harness their assets or get someone who can play the required role better.

- Personnel. Duffield is gone for mine. DeBoer is either on ball or not in the team.

- Leadership. We were desperate for someone to get into Walters and Fyfe's ears and tell them to drop the anger. Didn't happen.

Its not all doom and gloom if we act quickly and address our issues. We are still in pole position, we have options at Peel and we know our best is very good.
All eyes are now on RTB. Come on fella, time to earn your paycheck.

Last edited:
Against Carlton we need to focus on run and carry. Drop the defensive effort/mindset that is too prevalent in our players esp. our forwards.

Bring Crozier, Sutcliffe and Weller.
Drop Suban, MDB and Duffield.

Crozier forward, Sutcliffe wing/mid and Weller off the back line and RUN, RUN, RUN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post. I'll add my thoughts on someone like Duffy. I used to watch junior cricketers and some of them just had a great natural technique that allowed them to progress to the next level, even without massive scores at their current level. People who watch the game could see they just had something that others didn't. Simpson was like this and I think Duffy has a bit of it too. Ross has his structures and rules, but he lacks flair in this regard. Maybe his off field losses have made him more conservative? I'm not saying Duffy should play, but a team evolves, it is not stagnant, people get older and sometimes a 50/50 call needs to be made in the kids favour, not the incumbent.

we really should have just gone down today with a B-grade team (some will argue we did)
Don't you think it's better to find out now that we are nowhere near the level we need to be to beat Hawthorn?

Sending down a B team would have given us an out, but we would have been found out at some point anyway.

We can't just keep doing the same things and hoping for different results.

While it would be tempting to blood some of the young blokes this week, i would favour the view of getting the best team on the park....smash Carlton and try to get some momentum back. Out: MTB and Gu. IN: Sutty and Tabs.
I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek, but I freaking hope so!

Bring in our best team to beat up on a bottom side so we can kid ourselves all is OK? Do you seriously think the issue with some of our players is form, or are you just having a lend. Please, please tell me you're joking...

They will all return after next week win and say the loss was an outlier.

The fact is against the very top tier teams these players consistently struggle and will continue to.

There is no doubt they're good enough for playing the bottom teams, but the bigger picture is that we're playing for a premiership. And from what I am seeing Ross is making the same mistakes he did at the Saints. Being risk averse and going for the 'role players' is plain stupid.

Yep and any argument against will be answered with the 'we won and they played a role, what more do you want?' argument.

RTB and team must start to find another way. I still think we will make the GF as we will have a home run to the final. But I cant se us getting past hawthorn with such basic players in the team. Cant see us getting past sydney at the G either atm.

sackplayers.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back