Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're damn straight it cost the club. There's hundreds who would've worked their backsides off for their opportunity. RTB doesn't get seduced by talent. He cost the club alright. Massive waste of a first rounder.
There was more to the delisting than just him not rocking up. I'm glad he's not with Freo anymore.
It's not about him being delisted, it's about a player having a good debut and being dropped for a player struggling with injury, woefully out of form, and who we are now debating whether he should keep his spot in the team. Simpson was dropped for Mayne. Mayne has played like shit since then aside from one stellar game against Melbourne.

It's about a coach having a philosophy where form isn't rewarded when good or punished when bad, but you earn selection on whether you have 'buy in'. What happened after Simpson was dropped is on Simpson. Why he was dropped is still puzzling.

'RTB doesn't get seduced by talent'.

And that says everything. He wouldn't have recruited Dew in 2007, either.

Former-Port-Adelaide-forward-Stuart-Dew-5773939.jpg

I think Ross needs to experiment by giving Sandi a week off and letting Clarke have the focus of being the primary ruckman.

I've got doubts as to Sandi's actual effectiveness in not only hitouts but the mental effect his dropped marks have on the confidence of the mids dishing the ball into the 50, even if it makes them hesitate for a split second it could be too long.

Getting Blakely into the midfield is worth a look to see what he can offer, possibly pushing Mundy to a starting half forward position as someone who runs into the edge of stoppages as an outside option.

On footy classified tonight Lloyd suggested that Ross needs to change things up with the team. He has some talented young players that need to develop and are waisted playing in the wafl for players who are under performing such as deBoer, Pearce and Duffield.

Was there any hints on the coach segment tonight on 6pr? Any suggestion of change?

I listened to it, he was very noncommittal but he defended Ballantyne and said he was the least of our problems, and he also said whilst a couple of people might be nervous about their spots "it's not about personnel". So I'd suggest no wholesale changes and Ballantyne for one is safe

I listened to it, he was very noncommittal but he defended Ballantyne and said he was the least of our problems, and he also said whilst a couple of people might be nervous about their spots "it's not about personnel". So I'd suggest no wholesale changes and Ballantyne for one is safe

So we will just go through the motions again week by week.

Based on what I heard, I'd be very surprised if one of Blakely, Weller, Langdon or Grey do not get a game this week.

So we will just go through the motions again week by week.

It was typical Lyon - "we win together we lose together" etc. No wholesale changes to the 22 is the message I got but who knows, he sounded deflated.

Based on what I heard, I'd be very surprised if one of Blakely, Weller, Langdon or Grey do not get a game this week.

He didn't mention any single one of them. We are talking about the 6PR interview tonight right?

Interesting that Menegola got delisted this year. He has been best on ground for Subiaco the last 6 weeks! I wonder if another AFL club will pick him up.

He said the coaching panel were poor. Said our forwards at times had equal numbers ahead of the ball but we couldn't score. Felt our midfield didn't compete after half time.

Said there will be changes. Felt he could have put Ballantyne up the ground earlier to get him involved in the game.

Commended Sandilands, Alex Pearce, and said the rest were more or less poor. Some will be wondering if they did enough to maintain their position.

"We've been in bigger holes."

Felt they locked the ball in our defensive 50 and we were unable to clear the ball to give our forwards an opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks team. So it sounds like there may or not be changes. A typical interview then, probably shouldn't have expected anything different.

Thanks team. So it sounds like there may or not be changes. A typical interview then, probably shouldn't have expected anything different.

Nah I think he gave a few insights beyond the cliche interview. Said its not just personnel. Said the coaching panel were poor.

If you read between the lines things will be changed. Game plan things.

The problem is the current members of our best 22 are cruising along with seemingly no pressure from the new kids at Peel or out of favor team mates, knowing they will get a game every week unless they fall off the perch big time.
But comes a time when cruising along is not enough to tackle the big boys and you get a wake up call.
Even before the Richmond game a bit of subtle massaging of positions would not have caused problems (maybe sub vest for Blakely or Weller, a week at Peel for Suban) But no, we play the same team same players and everyone is comfortable.
Rotating 26 -28 players and rewarding effort and a light kick up the bum for average performances should be the agenda and not a free ride on the bus with others trying to get on, but closing the door on them.

Carlton are beyond shit. We should be able to belt them with ALL of Langdon, Weller, Blakely, Crozier, Grey, Duffy, Taberner playing. That doesn't mean they should all play ... far from it ... but it would be inexcusable to not bring a few of them into the side.

If we can't debut say Blakely and Weller against Carlton, then when the hell can we?

RTB on 6pr

http://m.6pr.com.au/news/lyon-hints-at-changes-20150713-gibh53.html

Sounds like everyone, including the coaching staff, are gonna be looked at this week.

Was good to hear him mention that our mids have been identified as our strength and therefore blanketed by huge numbers. He mentioned having to find plans to counter such tactics.

These are exactly the kind of lessons you want to be learning now rather than the finals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back