Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like everyone, including the coaching staff, are gonna be looked at this week.

Hard to really know. Didn't want to deal with the specifics around the form of players (e.g. Ballanyne) but then mentioned the coaching staff not being up to it as well as the players like you have noted. The lack of risk taking and run and spread that was evident in the early games and the oppositions focus on closing down our strong stoppages work was mentioned so they'll be hammered home. But I'd imagine those issues were already identified from the prior month's games so when he says they'll need to look at different strategies but thinks it's less about personnel, I'm thinking he's trying to avoid getting public with assessing the players. He avoided most things including the question about trying someone different up forward once Zac D is back in the frame.

Thursday night's selection will be interesting this week as that performance does ring for changes beyond the cursory MDB out and Sutcliffe in.

Hard to really know. Didn't want to deal with the specifics around the form of players (e.g. Ballanyne) but then mentioned the coaching staff not being up to it as well as the players like you have noted. The lack of risk taking and run and spread that was evident in the early games and the oppositions focus on closing down our strong stoppages work was mentioned so they'll be hammered home. But I'd imagine those issues were already identified from the prior month's games so when he says they'll need to look at different strategies but thinks it's less about personnel, I'm thinking he's trying to avoid getting public with assessing the players. He avoided most things including the question about trying someone different up forward once Zac D is back in the frame.

Thursday night's selection will be interesting this week as that performance does ring for changes beyond the cursory MDB out and Sutcliffe in.
I'm sure he would've been aware of oppositions focusing on clogging up our stoppages but because it was so damaging on the weekend it's probably been moved up on the list of priorities.

The major thing that concerned me in the interview was when he spoke of risk taking and confident play. Other coaches have struggled arresting drops in assertive play and it's been seen that just yelling at them to take the game on doesn't work.

He has to be proactive in getting the boys to believe they can score, make strong decisions and break lines. Whether that's being dropped to Peel to regain form or changing their role, RTB needs to create the environment for these guys feel lethal again.

He had them in that mindset at the start of the year, hopefully we can find it again and quickly.

Hard to say this but if Ross needs a clue just have a look at the eagles setup. It all starts in the ruck, and
NN is tapping to advantage, space, set plays, and being more involved in the circle. Our handballs, taps are always
short, we dont have 360 degree movement, just the same plays and players breaking congestion.Get the ball clear
and the kicks into the forward line will be cleaner.
We have alot of inside play, players, we need more on the outside, not guys guarding space, zoning off, but people
who can read the play, and are damaging by foot.

I remember last year following on from the St Kilda debacle that we were expected to bounce back the following week against Carlton with an almighty flogging. If it wasn't for Cameron Wood's miss kick to Lachie Neale we would have lost that too.

The week after we lost by 2 points to Geelong but then beat Hawthorn the week after that. I see a pattern here.

I remember last year following on from the St Kilda debacle that we were expected to bounce back the following week against Carlton with an almighty flogging. If it wasn't for Cameron Wood's miss kick to Lachie Neale we would have lost that too.

The week after we lost by 2 points to Geelong but then beat Hawthorn the week after that. I see a pattern here.

I see no pattern. The future is yet to unfold.

Being flogged by a direct competitor for the flag and having the gameplan completely picked apart by the opposition coach.
We'll disagree then. I expected to lose to Hawthorn (they have our measure, especially in Tas) As a Freo supporter, I have been infinitely more peed off when historically losing games to those we shouldn't have.

We'll disagree then. I expected to lose to Hawthorn (they have our measure, especially in Tas) As a Freo supporter, I have been infinitely more peed off when historically losing games to those we shouldn't have.

Agree to an extent.
The St Kilda game last year was about as angry as I have been watching a game I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RTB on 6pr

http://m.6pr.com.au/news/lyon-hints-at-changes-20150713-gibh53.html

Sounds like everyone, including the coaching staff, are gonna be looked at this week.

Was good to hear him mention that our mids have been identified as our strength and therefore blanketed by huge numbers. He mentioned having to find plans to counter such tactics.

These are exactly the kind of lessons you want to be learning now rather than the finals.

Cheers for the link :)

I'll take this as a positive reply from RTB.
He acknowledged that we are not going very far with this football, top of table or not, and that's a very honest assessment. The coaching and plan really deserves to be looked at.

It's basically the same team that got us in a 9-0 run, so it's really HOW we play our game since, not WHO. While I agree with many here that some players need to be dropped, it's also a cop out to just drop a few players, point the finger at them and claim they are the cause of the problems. The whole team played badly and need to improve.

We really need to be able to compete in the finals, not just do well in the H&A.

Hard to say this but if Ross needs a clue just have a look at the eagles setup. It all starts in the ruck, and
NN is tapping to advantage, space, set plays, and being more involved in the circle. Our handballs, taps are always
short, we dont have 360 degree movement, just the same plays and players breaking congestion.Get the ball clear
We have alot of inside play, players, we need more on the outside, not guys guarding space, zoning off, but people

Yet we're still ranked No. 1 for Clearances and Stoppages, whereas the Eagles are 11th and 14th respectively. They are No. 2 for Centre Clearances whilst we're 8th. This is the one that hurts more because the opposition don't have time to get as many numbers back. Then again, against Richmond we had a great game for Centre Clearances but either kicked it to the boundary or straight into the arms of their spare. The forwards are s'posed to man up there spare and then create a contest but failed to do so consistently. Not sure if it was the forwards out of position or the mids were kicking it to the wrong spots.

Either way, it's more about quality and Hawthorn gave us a lesson on the weekend, mostly by flipping it out the back by hand (they always had numbers there). It was good to see Barlow in there more in the second half!

They are No. 2 for Centre Clearances whilst we're 8th. This is the one that hurts more because the opposition don't have time to get as many numbers back.
Freo are 8th because games involving Freo don't involve many goals.

For centre clearances won as a percentage Freo are usually the best in the league. Hawthorn robbed the side of that on Sunday.

The Eagles have had a soft draw. They will be tested in the coming 4 weeks, and the coming Derby would have to be the most important in history with both teams a chance for top 2 and even to keep in the top 4.

There is no doubt we have been in a slump of form, the good part is that we have the runs on the board and get a string of winnable games to adjust the game plan and get the players confidence back on track. It is a great reality check for the team. The wins against Brisbane and Gold Coast should have had the alarm bells going off, and the bye round was perhaps a false sense of a turning point.

We really need to go out against Carlton and aim for a 50 point+ win. Bring the forwards into some form.

Last edited:
I am happy that tab, croz and the kids weller and blakely grey did not play against hawthorn . Now we know that freo depend on hills faye and mundy at their best all times, if not suban ,d.pearce deboer duffman clarke cant lift the team.

Live chat with Sherro on the Freo site right now if anyone wants to ask him about his favorite band or what the **** happened on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back