Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Another >30 possession game for Trew in the WAFL but we just know he won’t be picked.

For a midfield struggling to find the footy we really should be bringing in a 22 year old bloke that is now averaging 29 disposals a game at WAFL level. I know he’s unlikely to get those numbers at AFL level but I want him in at CBD’s using his elite hands to get the ball to Reid, Yeo or Kelly.

Ginbey needs to go back and play exclusively midfield at WAFL level to get the HBFer out of him.

Last edited:

Its pretty much shuffling deck chairs given the lack of anything inspiring at wafl level, but I don't think you can let a midfield performance like that go without change.

Ginbey may to have to be parked elsewhere for the time being because he lacks any midfield craft at this stage of his career. You cant have one of your mids get such little ball. We've already got too many poor kicks off half back so I don't know where he goes.

If Kelly is going to throw much more of that rubbish up he can be shifted to a wing or half forward.

Wouldn't be against culley getting a few weeks in there to have a proper look, I think we'll end up finding his lack of pace an issue though.

The hall debut is hopefully getting closer, seems to be building.

If Trew isn't going to play now he may aswell start working out which wafl club he wants to play for next year.

The burgiel cheerleaders are dreaming, he's got 2 months at wafl level to show he even warrants a list spot.

What a depressing night.

INS.
Culley
Hall
Hewett > Maybe Sub or too start and sub off.
J William's
Petruccelle

OUTS.
Rotham > Send Maric to defence.
Flynn - B Williams Ruck > J Willliams 2nd.
Darling > Too many tall fwds.
Brockman
Witherden.

Some suggested moving Ginbey to back pocket. Doing it now to bring in the 3 mids above. I am sure he will get a rotation. Give him the shutdown job on Pickett. Do not care how many kicks Ginbey gets, stop Pickett from kicking 6+ on us next week and the job is half done. I am sure Hall or Hunt can go down there at times.

Ginbey Barrass Maric
Hough Gov Duggan
Chesser Culley Hunt
Hewett Allen Cripps
Ryan Waterman Reid

B William's Yeo, Kelly

J William's, Cole, J Jones, Hall.

Sub Petruccelle. This is sort of sub we want. Someone who can wreak havoc in a Quarter with his speed and we know he can. Better at this then playing a full game. Could be the ultimate Sub. I see no point in a tall being a sub, when we are playing extra talls.

Last edited:
Out - The baby with the bathwater.
Out - Commonsense
In - Everyone including the kitchen sink.
In - Kneejerk reactions and panic.

INS.
Culley
Hall
Hewett > Maybe Sub or too start and sub off.
J William's
Petruccelle

OUTS.
Rotham > Send Maric to defence.
Flynn - B Williams Ruck > J Willliams 2nd.
Darling > Too many tall fwds.
Brockman
Witherden.

Some suggested moving Ginbey to back pocket. Doing it now to bring in the 3 mids above. I am sure he will get a rotation. Give him the shutdown job on Pickett. Do not care how many kicks Ginbey gets, stop Pickett from kicking 6+ on us next week and job is half done. I am sure Hall or Hunt can go down there at times.

Ginbey Barrass Maric
Hough Gov Duggan
Chesser Culley Hunt
Hewett Allen Cripps
Ryan Waterman Reid

B William's Yeo, Kelly

J William's, Cole, J Jones, Hall.

Sub Petruccelle. This is sort of sub we want. Someone who can wreak havoc in a Quarter with his speed and we know he can. Better at this then playing a full game. Could be the ultimate Sub. I see no point in a tall being a sub, when we are playing extra talls.
Hewett is still weeks away. 2 more weeks of training, then WAFL for at least 1. Best case hes available for the derby in round 20 I reckon

I believe our midfield was the main issue, our forwards had very little chance, and the backline held up ok(mostly Gov and TB).

Assuming Gov is good enough to play, I see them making 0 changes to the backline.

Ruck needs a replacement now unfortunately.

Midfield idk what to do here, I cant see us moving Ginbey to a new role right now, and the 3 guys ahead of him are not getting pushed out after 1 bad performance. Probably leave it as is. Id like to see Brockman and Ryan in there a little more if things arent working. Maric back to the wing SURELY. Maric at least looks like he tried yesterday

Forward line had very little opportunity, but is still a touch too tall. Swapping a tall for a small would potentially free up Brockman or Ryan to play more up the ground. Id swap Darling for Dewar here, or bring in a midfielder who can rotate between HFF and mid with Reid and Kelly. Do not want Culley doing this, Hall would be good to bring in for a 30% CBA game, otherwise just stick with a smaller forward.

Ins: J.Williams, Dewar/Hall
Outs: Flynn, Darling

FB: Hough Barrass Cole
HB: Witherden McGovern Duggan
C: Maric Reid Chesser
HF: Brockman Waterman Cripps
FF: Ryan Allen J.Williams
R: B.Williams Kelly Yeo
Int: Ginbey Rotham Hunt Dewar/Hall
Sub: JJ/Petch

What id like but dont think is possible to happen is for one of Brockman or Ryan to be at every CBA, I think they both have something to offer. Put Kelly and Reid at HFF at times to accommodate this.
Also Ginbey to defence, take out somebody, I dont care who and let Ginbey defend.

A possible other change I think could be nice to try for a couple of weeks is Yeo to defence for a bit as the 3rd tall, pushing out Rotham. He is a better defender than Rotham, and can man a tall if required. He also can assist Gov with the distribution duties.
Would significantly weaken the midfield, but would free up a mid spot for Ryan/Brockman or even Culley/Hall/Trew if the coaches wanted.
Being a little more dynamic and less predictable might be a good thing for a bit

Max gawn to get 10k hit outs and prob kick 3+ goals doing what he wants

At least we get a run around on the G before finals

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its time chesser spends a few weeks in the wafl. Send maric to the wing, he did alright against the dons.

Hunt escaped some scruitiny, barely saw him.

Unfortunately will see gaff in for hunt.
Was probably one of Hunts better games really. He looked fitter and more up for it then in previous weeks

Dewar Barrass Baker
Hall mcgovern Hough
Brockman Kelly Chesser
Reid Williams Hutchinson
Ryan Allen Waternam
Follwers Livingstone Yeo Reid
Bench Culley Rawlinson Ginbey Maric

Now im not sure if just playing ginbey & chesser in the main side is hindering their development rather than improving it.

we got guys like Jwill, Culley, trew....even hall who should be given about a month straight to show something.

Giving out latest mid season recruit a call up after being here for 10 days and just 1 wafl game sent completely wrong message IMO. cant blame the players in the WAFL for not performing when its not continued sustained performance that will get you a call up. there's no carrot for them to chase.

Play the kids a bit more. If we’re gonna get our pantsed pulled down at least give us the excuse of being younger and less experienced.

Out: Flynn (inj), Darling (managed or some sht I dunno), Rotham
In: Jilliams, Hall, Hedwards

Backs: Barrass, Gov, Hedwards, Hough, Witherden, Duggan, Cole
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Hunt
Rucks: Williamses
Forwards: Allen, Waterman, Maric, Cripps, Jones, Ryan, Hall (last two doing some forward rotations)
Sub: Brockman
Emergencies: one of Burgiel/Johnston to travel with the team, Rotham and Gaff to play WAFL

I'd rather see Harvey Johnston given the last 8 games down back than JJ

I'd rather see Hall given 8 games in the guts to see what he's got

Rawlison small fwd around the feet of the trees up fwd

Jack Williams 8 games at CHF

Give these kids a run at it

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back