Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Out
Darling, Flynn, Chesser
In
Gaff, Trew, Jwilliams

Reward those actually trying and replace ones that aren't.

Could be a lot more outs, maybe Ginbey for Hall?

INS.
Culley
Hall
Hewett > Maybe Sub or too start and sub off.
J William's
Petruccelle

OUTS.
Rotham > Send Maric to defence.
Flynn - B Williams Ruck > J Willliams 2nd.
Darling > Too many tall fwds.
Brockman
Witherden.

Some suggested moving Ginbey to back pocket. Doing it now to bring in the 3 mids above. I am sure he will get a rotation. Give him the shutdown job on Pickett. Do not care how many kicks Ginbey gets, stop Pickett from kicking 6+ on us next week and job is half done. I am sure Hall or Hunt can go down there at times.

Ginbey Barrass Maric
Hough Gov Duggan
Chesser Culley Hunt
Hewett Allen Cripps
Ryan Waterman Reid

B William's Yeo, Kelly

J William's, Cole, J Jones, Hall.

Sub Petruccelle. This is sort of sub we want. Someone who can wreak havoc in a Quarter with his speed and we know he can. Better at this then playing a full game. Could be the ultimate Sub. I see no point in a tall being a sub, when we are playing extra talls.
Chesser absolutely has to be out - contributes nothing. Chris ( Muddy) Waterman pointed him out on ABC radio.

Also said Trew must be given full games in his position.

Chesser absolutely has to be out - contributes nothing. Chris ( Muddy) Waterman pointed him out on ABC radio.

Also said Trew must be given full games in his position.
He "runs the lines" though which apparently is something?

Maybe Cody Simpson can give up swimming and his music to play on a wing for West Coast. Looks like a guy who can run in a straight line with relative success. Would do wonders for our look in the media too.

Its pretty much shuffling deck chairs given the lack of anything inspiring at wafl level, but I don't think you can let a midfield performance like that go without change.

Ginbey may to have to be parked elsewhere for the time being because he lacks any midfield craft at this stage of his career. You cant have one of your mids get such little ball. We've already got too many poor kicks off half back so I don't know where he goes.

If Kelly is going to throw much more of that rubbish up he can be shifted to a wing or half forward.

Wouldn't be against culley getting a few weeks in there to have a proper look, I think we'll end up finding his lack of pace an issue though.

The hall debut is hopefully getting closer, seems to be building.

If Trew isn't going to play now he may aswell start working out which wafl club he wants to play for next year.

The burgiel cheerleaders are dreaming, he's got 2 months at wafl level to show he even warrants a list spot.

What a depressing night.
Ginbey had a shocker yesterday but generally he has been helping to hold up the midfield for the last two years

I dont think he even notices where the ball is myself. No doubt the ball sometimes hits him during his running sprints on the wing but strikes me as more by accident then design
I disagree - I think he knows exactly where it is and makes sure he doesn’t get anywhere near it

What an horrendous recruiting own goal picking him and not Johnson

With Johnson - there is a budding tough versatile midfielder, with Chesser - there is nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yes its 1 bad game. Before that he has been absolutely brilliant....

Thought he’s been ok in a pretty thankless role, tbh.

If you want to have a discussion about whether he should be used in more of an inside role, or even whether we need to look more generally at how we use our wings given they seem to cover huge amounts of ground for no touches and we struggle to move the ball, I think that would be more productive than just bashing a kid.

If you want to have a discussion about whether he should be used in more of an inside role, or even whether we need to look more generally at how we use our wings given they seem to cover huge amounts of ground for no touches and we struggle to move the ball, I think that would be more productive than just bashing a kid.
He actually avoids getting near the ball. The idea that he should be an inside mid is a joke.

There were a lot more problems than him yesterday but he got three possessions in the first two minutes and then three for the rest of the game.

We’ve been carrying him for eighteen months and he needs to go to the twos and show he can actually play.

Last edited:

I think its our insanely low standards which leads too words like "OK" being thrown about myself.

Im 100% sure he will improve under a new coach but im also not going to sit here and say he is playing well either.

No Gaff = deadwood, going down that path leads us nowhere.
A month ago I would not have contemplated him but I think at this present moment he brings in experience and at least has some game sense. Yes he can only kick 30-40m but isn't as wasteful as others who play week in week out.
He has also not gone back into WAFL and sooked he has been the hardest worker and top couple of players each week.

If we drop an experienced player in Darling then Gaff is the experienced one to replace him, along with Jwilliams and Trew with a possibility of Hall finally getting a gig.

I just don't think Gaff is as bad as many portray him to be.

Obviously Flynn doesn't play.So long as Waterman is ok do we bring Jwilliams in and leave Darling out and bring a Petch in
Which will make us smaller and quicker.
Not unhappy playing Hedwards for Rotham.
Not sure wholesale changes should be made.Some like Ginbey had a bad game but very few had a decent game.

A month ago I would not have contemplated him but I think at this present moment he brings in experience and at least has some game sense. Yes he can only kick 30-40m but isn't as wasteful as others who play week in week out.
He has also not gone back into WAFL and sooked he has been the hardest worker and top couple of players each week.

If we drop an experienced player in Darling then Gaff is the experienced one to replace him, along with Jwilliams and Trew with a possibility of Hall finally getting a gig.

I just don't think Gaff is as bad as many portray him to be.

We also need to reward good WAFL form, credits can run the other way too - I guess we'd call them debits. There shouldn't be rules for some and not for others when it comes to selection.

With 8 games left in the season, we need to be exposing players now.

Flynn -> Jilliams
Rotham -> Baker (we just need to see what he can do)
Darling -> Dewar (we're just too tall and someone has to go)
Maric -> Culley (Maric back to the wafl to get some confidence in being the inside 50 distributor - whether that's hbf or wing. Culley 50/50 mid/fwd)
Chesser -> Rawlinson or Hall or Johnston (whoever it is starts as the sub. Chesser back to wafl to try and get more of the ball)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back