Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or has Flynn been really underwhelming?

I realise he's missed a lot of footy, but other than a couple of quarters he's been dreadful.

So much was expected of him as well.
Hasn’t been great.

Have to give him a bit of a mulligan with serious injury, new team etc.

Would want to see more next year, hopefully before, even if he could be a physical presence around stoppages that would be good

Is it just me or has Flynn been really underwhelming?

I realise he's missed a lot of footy, but other than a couple of quarters he's been dreadful.

So much was expected of him as well.
To me its terrible coaching too. A clear plan should exist around Bailey Williams taking the centre bounces and then Flynn swapping in to do the around the ground ruckwork

Fact Simmo hasnt figured that out shows how little he understands about not just football but standing and breathing in a upright position

He actually avoids getting near the ball. The idea that he should be an inside mid is a joke.

There were a lot more problems than him yesterday but he got three possessions in the first two minutes and then three for the rest of the game.

We’ve been carrying him for eighteen months and he needs to go to the twos and show he can actually play.
I got this mental image now of like

"Eagles only have 17 men on the field. Where is Campbell Chesser, wait we are crossing to new footage"

200w.gif

B: Hough Barrass Rotham
HB: Duggan McGovern Hunt
C: Brockman Kelly Chesser
HF: Cripps Allan Ryan
F: Dewar Waterman J Williams
R: B Williams Yeo Reid
I: Trew, Hall, Ginbey, JJ
Sub: Maric

Out: Flynn, Darling, Witherden, Cole, softcoc# football
In: Dewar, J Williams, Trew, Hall,

Ginbey can rotate off half back along with Chesser.

Simmo will make changes which will probably be Gaff and Sheed in.

Just give Rotham absolute license to run off the half back line, and let Hunt/Chesser rotate off the flank as well. We need some drive. Show Josh a tape of his debut and see what he can do.
Last time a player showed that Simpson told him off...Chesser copped it lol

Outs: selection committee
  • Flynn (blessing in disguise for the plodder)
  • Darling (we are too tall)
  • Chesser (love his work rate but his performance doesn't warrant immunity like he has had)
  • JJ, he just doesn't have consistency

Ins: playing the beginners for minimal three quarters, rather than the one.

- Hutchinson, I wanna see if his hype warrants anything, with darling on a decline, what can we lose?

- Hall: get games under his belt, if Harley can play so can he

- Dewar, don't care where, but he has flair and impact.

Too many lack of magnet moves by the coach as per usual, absolute stale bread of a bloke.
  • Ryan: playing 50% on ball
  • Brockman: in the centre
  • Yeo: only guy that can play off half back that can actually switch up this stale ball movement we have had for 6 years from our defensive 50.

- Reid, Kelly: rotate to forward with Ryan when they need a breather or kelly is having zero impact.

Don’t expect any wholesale changes off the back of Simmo’s comments at the back end of this interview.

Funny how he seemingly picks and chooses when he deems it fit to apply his 3 to 4 week of form rationale. I bet Jai Culley is wondering why he didn’t get a 3 week block of games at a a minimum after coming back into the side. Instead got the one and done short shrift.

Like most others here, I was annoyed at the drafting of Chesser ahead of Johnson, and on present output it looks like a mistake. I certainly see his attributes and want him to succeed. But six possessions is unbelievably bad and I think for accountability and squad morale a message has to be sent by dropping him. Try Dewar instead.

It seems odd that we spent such a high draft pick on Chesser to play a position that seems almost redundant in our game plan. Maybe there are other ways to utilise his attributes? With his sprinting prowess, I wonder if he’d be effective if given a role in the forward line and told to use his speed to disrupt. We might need a bit of chaos ball if May and Lever line up on the weekend.

Like most others here, I was annoyed at the drafting of Chesser ahead of Johnson, and on present output it looks like a mistake. I certainly see his attributes and want him to succeed. But six possessions is unbelievably bad and I think for accountability and squad morale a message has to be sent by dropping him. Try Dewar instead.

It seems odd that we spent such a high draft pick on Chesser to play a position that seems almost redundant in our game plan. Maybe there are other ways to utilise his attributes? With his sprinting prowess, I wonder if he’d be effective if given a role in the forward line and told to use his speed to disrupt. We might need a bit of chaos ball if May and Lever line up on the weekend.
I feel it's far more gamplan than anything else. Both wings don't get much of the ball in the side and we still kick 90% of the time long and to the right. Chesser lines up on the opposite wings, so is almost never used as an outlet, because we predictably kick to one side all the ****ing time, or make a stupid turnover in the corridor.

Hard to get a look in when the ball's almost never in your area of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hough Barass Cole
Duggan Gov Rotham
Hunt Yeo Brockman
TK Waterman Cripps
Ryan Allen Dewar

BBW Reid Ginbey

Trew Hutch Maric Witherden

Sub- JJ

Emg- J.Williams Gaff Chesser

Won't matter who comes in and who goes out, it will the same limp wristed performance we saw against the Hawks.

Darling should be out for Jack Williams, but given they are getting him his 300 games, it won't happen.

And a small replaces Flynn.

Last edited:
There's so any spuds who don't deserve their spot in the team right now it's hard to know where to even start 🤡

Flynn has been such a colossal disappointment. Trust WCE to turn him into a total hack. This isn't the Matt Flynn for GWS, this is a lumbering thicc boi who barely looks able to run, let alone get hands hands to the ball in a ruck contest.

Probably somewhat of a blessing he's out, clearly the bloke should've spent a stretch in the WAFL getting conditioning and fitness. Likewise good that it alleviates the elephant in the room that's Bailey Williams up forward. That's going to be a problem down the track now.

IN: Hall, Trew, Williams
OUT: Flynn, Chesser, Darling/Jones

Chesser has had enough down games this year at AFL level to make me think a WAFL block would do him good. He's a first round pick in his third season. Get him out of the stupid gimp wing role or we'll never see what he can even do.

Darling is just leaching his way to 300 games, similar to Cox towards the end of his career. 8 games left this season and wouldn't ya know it.... He needs 8 more to reach the milestone, so the likelihood of him dropped before now is next to none. Oh well, take your 8 games and please leave.

Jones just isn't and AFL player IMO. Done well to keep his career going this long. I'm still not exactly sure what his role is. We'd lose minimal ditching him and sending Duggan back into defense.

Hall and Trew play on ball, Kelly can piss off to the wing to replace Chesser. If you can't run or impact a game you shouldn't be in the side m8, go guard space for Simmo and you'll be right.

Rotham demoted to sub, Maric takes his place. OR Rotham out entirely and Chesser sub 🤷🏼

There's so any spuds who don't deserve their spot in the team right now it's hard to know where to even start 🤡

Flynn has been such a colossal disappointment. Trust WCE to turn him into a total hack. This isn't the Matt Flynn for GWS, this is a lumbering thicc boi who barely looks able to run, let alone get hands hands to the ball in a ruck contest.

Probably somewhat of a blessing he's out, clearly the bloke should've spent a stretch in the WAFL getting conditioning and fitness. Likewise good that it alleviates the elephant in the room that's Bailey Williams up forward. That's going to be a problem down the track now.

IN: Hall, Trew, Williams
OUT: Flynn, Chesser, Darling/Jones

Chesser has had enough down games this year at AFL level to make me think a WAFL block would do him good. He's a first round pick in his third season. Get him out of the stupid gimp wing role or we'll never see what he can even do.

Darling is just leaching his way to 300 games, similar to Cox towards the end of his career. 8 games left this season and wouldn't ya know it.... He needs 8 more to reach the milestone, so the likelihood of him dropped before now is next to none. Oh well, take your 8 games and please leave.

Jones just isn't and AFL player IMO. Done well to keep his career going this long. I'm still not exactly sure what his role is. We'd lose minimal ditching him and sending Duggan back into defense.

Hall and Trew play on ball, Kelly can piss off to the wing to replace Chesser. If you can't run or impact a game you shouldn't be in the side m8, go guard space for Simmo and you'll be right.

Rotham demoted to sub, Maric takes his place. OR Rotham out entirely and Chesser sub 🤷🏼
What exactly has Flynn done, ever? I dont recall anything of note from him at GWS. Bizarre (small) hype around him when he signed. Hope I am proven wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back