Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the exact same criticism that’s been leveled at other players who’ve been in the sacrificial “red wing” role. E.g. Masten, then Brander. Runs around filling space, doesn’t get enough touches etc etc.

If Chesser’s continuing to get picked in that role, maybe that shows he’s actually doing what’s being asked of him by the coaches.

Which is why I said a better topic of discussion might be (a) whether it’s an appropriate role for Chesser or (b) whether it’s a role we should still have.
Hopefully the coaching group can consider that perhaps a position that is designed to have a player actively get less of the ball isn't a good one. We should be encouraging players to play to their strengths and hunt the ball - not run up and down guarding space.

Must be incredibly frustrating to play that role.

Hopefully the coaching group can consider that perhaps a position that is designed to have a player actively get less of the ball isn't a good one. We should be encouraging players to play to their strengths and hunt the ball - not run up and down guarding space.

Are we the only team that plays this kind of disposal-free wing role?

gave it a crack, this is the tallest hypothetical side I could put together:

FB: HEdwards (200) Barrass (197) Jamieson (201)
HB: Bazzo (195) McGovern (197) Rotham (193)
C: Maric (196) Culley (194) Hough (191)
HF: AReid (203) Darling (191) JWilliams (198)
FF: Allen (196) Waterman (192) Hutchinson (190)
Fol: Flynn (202) Yeo (191) Ginbey (191)

Int: Livingstone (200) Barnett (203) Hall (190) LEdwards (189)

Sub: Hunt (188)
Noah Long ruck

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are we the only team that plays this kind of disposal-free wing role?

From what I understand Bailey Williams has been asked to play as the goal-free decoy forward since Flynn has been back. Simmo was pissed that week he kicked a goal.

Would you describe the position to be that of some sort of gimp role?

He was a state sprinter you clown, of all the things to criticise 😂
He absolutely is fast. It often doesnt show because he is not necessarily a quick decision maker or user of the footy and his instinct is to stop and prop when he gets the ball, but his chase down tackle on Soligo in the Adelaide game was bonkers, he absolutely blitzes him for pace, I genuinely don't know if there is any other player in a WC guernsey who could have done that over that distance except perhaps Petch - from 2:30 in the clip below.

He's one guy where I'd really like to see him tried in a few different positions that might take advantage of his physical ability better.

Last edited:
That’s the exact same criticism that’s been leveled at other players who’ve been in the sacrificial “red wing” role. E.g. Masten, then Brander. Runs around filling space, doesn’t get enough touches etc etc.

If Chesser’s continuing to get picked in that role, maybe that shows he’s actually doing what’s being asked of him by the coaches.

Which is why I said a better topic of discussion might be (a) whether it’s an appropriate role for Chesser or (b) whether it’s a role we should still have.

Miguel Sanchez this "red wing", is it exclusively a West Coast thing or does it apply to other teams as well? Heard Simpson talk about it in one of the Schodown videos a few weeks back. Doesn't seem like it applies to other teams because out of about 414 players who played in the last round only 21 players (2 WCE players, I think) had less disposals than Chesser. This is pretty bad particularly when one considers that 18 out of those 414 players started their games as substitutes.

Masten in his last season averaged 16.6 disposals and Brander of all people averaged 15.3 in his last season with us - Chesser is averaging 10.3 disposals in 15 games this year. So Chesser is getting games even when he is performing worse than both Masten and Brander. If the stats don't matter and you are guaranteed games then most players on the list would prefer to play this role. May be there is a chance that one of them could play this role better than Chesser had done it so far. Not the worse thing Chesser too if we tried him in another role. For the record, I have no issues with Chesser getting games if the same applies to our other youngsters as well. Reid and Ginbey pick themselves, JWilliams played only because Allen got injured. Other 3 youngsters who played this went as follows: Rawlinson (sub, 65mins), Johnston (sub, 31 mins) and Dewar (1 full game, 2x sub for 35 mins total). Basically as a rebuilding team, the only youngster we are playing on a constant basis is Chesser who is under performing by most teams standards.

Anyway, given our last 3 years, I don't think we could fare any worse if we get rid of this role altogether.

Miguel Sanchez this "red wing", is it exclusively a West Coast thing or does it apply to other teams as well? Heard Simpson talk about it in one of the Schodown videos a few weeks back. Doesn't seem like it applies to other teams because out of about 414 players who played in the last round only 21 players (2 WCE players, I think) had less disposals than Chesser. This is pretty bad particularly when one considers that 18 out of those 414 players started their games as substitutes.

Masten in his last season averaged 16.6 disposals and Brander of all people averaged 15.3 in his last season with us - Chesser is averaging 10.3 disposals in 15 games this year. So Chesser is getting games even when he is performing worse than both Masten and Brander. If the stats don't matter and you are guaranteed games then most players on the list would prefer to play this role. May be there is a chance that one of them could play this role better than Chesser had done it so far. Not the worse thing Chesser too if we tried him in another role. For the record, I have no issues with Chesser getting games if the same applies to our other youngsters as well. Reid and Ginbey pick themselves, JWilliams played only because Allen got injured. Other 3 youngsters who played this went as follows: Rawlinson (sub, 65mins), Johnston (sub, 31 mins) and Dewar (1 full game, 2x sub for 35 mins total). Basically as a rebuilding team, the only youngster we are playing on a constant basis is Chesser who is under performing by most teams standards.

Anyway, given our last 3 years, I don't think we could fare any worse if we get rid of this role altogether.
Gaff started the first game on that wing and got 4 disposals before being subbed out and career-overed.

It's a death-sentence that wing and Simpson can't even explain why.

Does anyone else get the feeling the JD makes it to 300 at the end of the year and then retire? That is how it is going to work out if he plays every game yeah?

We can dispense with the Darling out shit then thank heavens…

Does anyone else get the feeling the JD makes it to 300 at the end of the year and then retire? That is how it is going to work out if he plays every game yeah?

We can dispense with the Darling out shit then thank heavens…
Still got another year and already expressed his desire to play on, even talked about getting another contract...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brander and masten played in far far better teams. Masten was also a tad more experienced than Chesser. Brander was harshly dealt with.

Darling should be dropped for Jack Williams and not just for 1 week.
Williams can also play the ruck role if needed or when in the forward line.
99% that won’t happen, at the end of the day we just need a new bloody coach!
I’m a passionate WC supporter and can’t stand what we’ve become, we are so soft.
No passion, no fire in the belly, no aggression, no nothing!

Don’t expect any wholesale changes off the back of Simmo’s comments at the back end of this interview.

Funny how he seemingly picks and chooses when he deems it fit to apply his 3 to 4 week of form rationale. I bet Jai Culley is wondering why he didn’t get a 3 week block of games at a a minimum after coming back into the side. Instead got the one and done short shrift.

Because like most things at this footy club, its abit of a boys club at the top, and that includes the playing group.

H.Johnston, Dewar, Culley, Rawlinson, Hutchinson, Trew get 1-2 games as a sub, and immediately discarded.

But guys like Sheed, Gaff, Cripps etc can stink it up for weeks, giving lacklustre effort, and they are given the benefit of the doubt because they are "senior players."

There is double standards in terms of accountability and performance at this club, and it wont change until changes to the MC and coaching staff is made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back