Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

"And we play him in a zero reward, low production and confidence killing defensive wing position."

Or we play Chesser as an offensive winger and see if he can at least match that 'soft outside spud' Sharp who has double the uncontested possession, double the effective disposals, double the metres gained and double the inside 50's when compared to Chesser.

May get his confidence up getting cheap possies and hopefully the less pressure means he could his disposal efficiency up.... currently 21st at WCE which as a club, is not great itself.

Downside would be the 30 million possies Sharp gets in the next Derby.
Sharp is two or three years ahead? Surely that’s obvious to you.

Sharps output at the same stages in career was worse than Chesser.

I don't ascribe to the whole 'credits' bullshit... it's just another Bigfooty meme. But it does seem that some players are out of favour for whatever reasons. Trew has been our stand-out performer in the WAFL, but struggles to get a game. Meanwhile, Rawlinson and Johnson were effectively gifted games so they could 'get a taste of it'. And I though it was premature gifting Hutchinson a game when he'd basically done nothing other than turn up at the club... particularly when we already had plenty of talls and overall availability was very good. Clearly match committee liked him.

Similarly, not sure why Culley wasn't given more opportunity... except maybe they were concerned about his match fitness? Strikes me that he would have been a pretty good sub option, given that he can play midfield and is tall enough (and has some success) as a forward. Instead, he gets one game, and then gets dropped... while Chesser performed worse.

A lot of selections just make no sense... there's no rhyme or reason to them.
You do realise culley and Chesser play different positions? The quality of posts on here is just so bad.

So swap out our best pressure forward who is quick for another slow tall. That should fix things.
Well one mark inside 50 for three quarters of footy?? Mmmm he may help with that stat!
We also don’t often see a full game of pressure from Cripps anymore and considering he’s one of our most experienced players maybe he needs managing!

Sheed, Ledwards and probably Johnston are the 3 alternatives to Chesser in that gimp wing role.

2 of them are dead ends, Johnston I wouldn't mind seeing get another chance at it. Properly, not as the sub.

Either way it might actually be good for Chesser to get him back to the WAFL for a block playing football naturally and not having to play such a shit role for his team.

You do realise culley and Chesser play different positions?

A few points...
Firstly, it's pretty common for players to train in multiple positions... or at least have the capacity to do so. And in a developing team, it's hardly uncommon for players to be tried in different positions. But in any event, I never suggested Culley and Chesser were interchangeable... just that the expectations being placed on them seem to be very different.

The quality of posts on here is just so bad.

Well, you got that part right.

A few points...
Firstly, it's pretty common for players to train in multiple positions... or at least have the capacity to do so. And in a developing team, it's hardly uncommon for players to be tried in different positions. But in any event, I never suggested Culley and Chesser were interchangeable... just that the expectations being placed on them seem to be very different.

Well, you got that part right.
Chesser is competing with gaff and wafl players. Culley is competing with Kelly, Reid, yeo and ginbey along with our best wafl player trew. Are you really struggling this hard to figure out why one minute be getting more minutes than the other?

It’s a reluctance to take the risk coming inboard, it is there to be hit fairly often.
When you see the quality of our field kicking on display like Sunday, you can see why the players are shit scared to try.

It's crazy how other teams can kick through us with ease from end to end and we can barely hit 1 target in a row and almost never without pressure on the both the kicker and the recipient.

We have a two-fold issue at present with our ball movement.
A) The plan is shit house and
B) the players know it and their work rate reflects their lack of belief in what they are being asked to do.

You can't have opponents marking the ball uncontested all over the park on one hand and then have zero players loose to find when we have the footy, if the players are putting in even WAFL level aerobic efforts.

Don't @ me with GPS nonsense. You can see there is minimal intent in our running to either win the ball, receive the ball or lay a tackle. Way too many blokes just going through the motions.

Chesser is a young, physically gifted player with production issues who's development was compromised.

And we play him in a zero reward, low production and confidence killing defensive wing position. Where nothing happens until it does and you're crushed on transition.

Absolutely wild suggestion, but why not play the developing kid in a much easier position where he's drawn to the contest and can receive cheap handoff touches? The position made famous by nearly every club for helping develop raw but talented midfielders develop. A position we're slow as **** in!

I can almost guarantee that when Simpson gets the arse the first thing the new coach will do will be plunking Chesser at half-back. **** me.
Couldn't agree more.
I'd also consider putting Rotham on the gimp, red, fatside, whatever they call the wing these days.
Edit, not dissing Rotham, want to see what he's got further up from the backline, possibly a better marking target that the backs actually recognise

Last edited:
If you truly want to reward players putting it in at wafl level to get a gig at afl level then Trew, Gaff, Culley and Jwilliams should be in this week.
If the MC can't find 4+ players to leave out from last week through injury or form then we are in trouble.......big time.
The + is for Hall who should also get his debut asap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a two-fold issue at present with our ball movement.
A) The plan is shit house and
B) the players know it and their work rate reflects their lack of belief in what they are being asked to do.
Always key reasons in a break glass situation, especially (B). It looked like that on Sunday.
Yet there are many other games this season that counter that argument, when the team performed very well, or competitively at least...and the game plan worked and was visible.
So perhaps the Hawks game was an anomaly (another one) in a see-sawing season?
It's quite likely the team will perform well, if not win, against the Demons and put the Hawks game behind them as they move on?
If they get smashed again....it'll get noisy.

Prediction for this arvo

In: Hall, Jilliams, Hedwards, Johnston, Gaff, Rawlinson
Out: Waterman, Flynn, Gov (all injured)

B: Hough, Barrass, Witherden
HB: Cole, Rotham, Duggan
C: Hunt, Yeo, Ginbey
HF: Cripps, Darling, Hall
F: Ryan, Allen, Williams
R: Williams, Kelly, Reid
I: Hedwards, Maric, Brockman, Chesser, Jones, Johnston, Gaff, Rawlinson

All three injured KPPs to miss.

Hall to get the debut announcement today. Sub to come from Brockman, Chesser or Jones. Johnston to travel as 24th man, Gaff and Rawlinson to stay home and play Peel.

Prediction for this arvo

Hall to get the debut announcement today. Sub to come from Brockman, Chesser or Jones. Johnston to travel as 24th man, Gaff and Rawlinson to stay home and play Peel.
predictions or wishes?

Prediction for this arvo

So you're predicting Trew gets dicked by Simpson yet again?

Harsh. I'm not entirely sure it's fair to the bloke. I'd be hating Simpson if i was Trew.

Amateur HourTM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back