Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone put a team together that prioritises youth in our side and doesn't reward the tickets in the bank, simmo pets and love ins?

Can someone put a team together that prioritises youth in our side and doesn't reward the tickets in the bank, simmo pets and love ins?

Something like this - 6 players different from side selected

It’s younger. Not convinced it’s better

FB: Duggan McGovern Hough
HB: Burgiel Barrass Ginbey
C: Johnston Kelly Chesser
HF: Dewar Allen Cripps
FF: Ryan Waterman J Williams
R: B Williams Yeo Reid
I/C: Brockman Hall Cole Maric
SUB: Culley

Omit-
22 and under: L Edwards, A Reid, Trew, Barnett Rawlinson Baker Livingstone
Over 22: Gaff Hunt Witherden, Darling Jones Rotham H Edwards Hutchinson

Injured -
Best 22: Hewett, Long, Flynn, Bazzo
Non Best 22: Sheed, Petruccelle Jamieson

What is the point of Simpson talking to the players at the airport? If there is discontent among the players then those players are most likely not part of the group he picks regularly (in fact he said so himself) and hence won't be at the airport. Can't imagine Darling, Cripps or Chesser for example ever having any problems with Simpson.

Last edited:
What is the point of Simpson talking to the players at the airport? If there is discontent among the players then those players are most likely not part of the group he picks regularly (in fact he said so himself) and hence won't be at the airport. Can't imagine Darling, Cripps or Chesser for example having any problems with Simpson.

It would be more about the importance of focusing on the game and shutting out the external noise

I doubt he’d be addressing the discontent, real or perceived, directly but would stress the need to stay united

Whether people agree with it or not, he has backed the 22 in to turn around last weeks debacle. It’s something he’s done too often so you wonder when he might learn and shift to a different approach

Ultimately it’s probably going to cost him his job as he’d likely be given more leniency if he was losing with a younger 22 than he’s been selecting

Omit-

Injured -
I'd take it. 10 players under 22 is a decent rebuild.
I'd try to fit trew in on the bench in place of cole maybe.

Omit-

Injured -

Love this. Do feel like it was done as a "there's not much else the MC could do" post but it actually does show that maybe picking the guy who just had 7 touches in the 2s over a bunch of others might possibly be a shit call. And also there's no need for the stupidly tall fwd line

Love this. Do feel like it was done as a "there's not much else the MC could do" post but it actually does show that maybe picking the guy who just had 7 touches in the 2s over a bunch of others might possibly be a shit call. And also there's no need for the stupidly tall fwd line
Maybe the kids would play better and get more possessions if they feel they had a chance of getting a game in the seniors but they see Trew and co getting shafted all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley's first MCG game.
"Harley was a problem for us last time, we're ready for him this time!" said Goodwin.

Simpson admitted Bailey is a problem up front, not a natural forward; lets see how he shuffles that around on Sunday?

Coach also said up to 10 players be gone seasons end, natural attrition..

Coach clearly wants to play his best list and get some player chemistry happening.

Many wanted to see players dropped after last week, but when the whole team was shocking -who do you drop to send a message (btw coach says he doesn't 'send messages', he has honest discussions with players)

So we drop a few players and replace them with younger inexperienced ones (to make everyone feel happy), then lose no doubt. Then get slammed for not winning or losing badly. Rock and a hard place for a coach. Reckons many young ones aren't ready and 35 of the list have already played, which is a positive. There's about 7 young/new players in this week.

If we get smashed again, media and BF will go berserk.

If we have a competitive loss or even snag a win, how does that rate?

So we drop a few players and replace them with younger inexperienced ones (to make everyone feel happy), then lose no doubt. Then get slammed for not winning or losing badly.
I don't think that's the case though.

A push for youth would be understandable and losses would be mitigated by signs from the green shoots.

Did I read somewhere that we were more experienced than the Hawks last week, and something like the 6th oldest side in the comp? Yeesh if true.

The many people that post about how Chesser should not be singled out, that there is no one better in the WAFL. The facts are that nobody else from the WAFL side has been given a shot at playing this magical red wing position, where according to some its ok if you don't touch the ball or tackle. Maybe someone else could do this as well, just haven't been given a chance. Perhaps they might even get a few possessions.

Did I read somewhere that we were more experienced than the Hawks last week, and something like the 6th oldest side in the comp? Yeesh if true.

Dropping Gov, Barrass, Yeo, Cripps & Kelly would be a quick way to bring the average age down.
"Average" can be kind of a worthless stat in isolation.

I don't think that's the case though.

A push for youth would be understandable and losses would be mitigated by signs from the green shoots.

Fair point. If the youth are ready?
No guarantee there will be green shoots either, it's not a given. Look at our hit and miss ratio this season. People still arguing over Ginbey and Chesser? We've tried a few, not all were up to speed. There will be more tried in this last block of games.

Aren't the Hawks further along in the rebuild than us. So if up to 10 players are gone end of this season, our list becomes a little younger for '25, and especially so for '26, when up to 5 seniors could exit.

Re: 6th oldest side; This seems to be a pivotal transition or bridging year between seniors and juniors; after this year, there will be noticeable changes to players list and best 23, you'd think. (with or without a new coach). Also an age bracket that needs topping up.

Last edited:
It is not really Chesser or nothing for this red wing position. Apparently, stats are not that important if you are playing this position. If not, Chesser wouldn't be playing 15 games straight. As I said earlier, Chesser didn't play all that well in his WAFL games so it wouldn't hurt if Burgiel or somebody else gets to play AFL irrespective of their form in the WAFL.

We could even try Dewar in this gimp red wing position. At the very least Dewar would lmake his disposals count even if he ends up getting the same low disposal numbers that Chesser gets constantly.
If we want to play dewar to play wing at afl level he should trial that in the wafl first. Pretty simple stuff.

Chesser played two wafl games like a year ago and still performed better than Harvey / Burgiel recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back