Preview Round 17, 2024 : Geelong v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat 6th July, GMHBA stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

We are 6 points down at the time. He shushes them before he kicks it. His kick misses 1 point, some geelong player gives him a serve and knocks him on his ass, he gets another kick and slots it.

Given how Geelong are umpired at GMHBA they'd somehow pay holding the ball against Watson after he's kicked it.

I don't think the dimensions of the oval will affect us too much, as it's not as if we look to play through the wingman as a go-to.

Our wingmen this season have routinely been getting only about 15 touches per game - not to say they aren't playing well, but it seems their role doesn't require them to get bulk stats.

It might encourage us to move the ball faster and to run with it, instead of getting hemmed in and then just kicking it long. Which is exactly what they want.

We haven't been overawed playing away over the last two months, so I don't think it would happen now.

I expect Atkins will go to Newcombe. Maybe O'Connor gets a job on Moore or potentially Day too.

Interesting article here (with photos) on ground size. KP is 10m longer than the MCG (6%), and 26m narrower (18%). Also one wing is flattened due to the street location. Definitely the most unique ground to play on.

Weird dimensions for sports grounds are probably taken directly from the Brits. Anyone seen Trent Bridge? Looks like the dimensions were drawn by a drunk toddler

I don't think the dimensions of the oval will affect us too much, as it's not as if we look to play through the wingman as a go-to.

Our wingmen this season have routinely been getting only about 15 touches per game - not to say they aren't playing well, but it seems their role doesn't require them to get bulk stats.

It might encourage us to move the ball faster and to run with it, instead of getting hemmed in and then just kicking it long. Which is exactly what they want.

We haven't been overawed playing away over the last two months, so I don't think it would happen now.

I expect Atkins will go to Newcombe. Maybe O'Connor gets a job on Moore or potentially Day too.
Neither. Bowes will tag Day.

Yeah, unless we're planning to play the boundaries closely then it shouldn't be a huge factor.

I think there are other "invisible" environmental factors of stadiums that have more influence on results. Things like the unique wind profile as a result of the stadium orientation and stand design/placement which can have a huge influence on goal kicking and long kicks down the wing. The turf can also vary dramatically across the ground with certain sections not draining as well as others meaning it could be softer and more slippery in one area, affecting agility and the bounce of the ball.

Calsha might make room for Lewis Vs the cats

I think this is a tough one, Dear could go back to BH and kick 4.. Then what?!

Gunners to miss for Dear? Our tall/medium forwards is a puzzle and a half

Be interesting to see how Lewis/Chol go with Dear as the 3rd forward playing the Gunston role if it happens. That may be the future setup

Gunston is near the end but still playing well in recent weeks so they may stick with him for the time being and Calsher gets a bit of time in VFL to keep working on his craft…

What you're describing is selection based on form. It's that competition for spots that we want ongoing as it will drive improvement for everyone whether they're playing AFL or VFL.

Last couple of games Dear’s energy levels have slightly dropped but take my hat off to the club trying to manage/nurse him through using the sub etc to give him a good taste. He’s still only 18 and the rigours of AFL could be catching up. Only the club knows best but his effort and attitude has been brilliant since his debut playing on some of the best …… he will be so much better for it with another preseason under his belt! Who would have thought the games he’s played in the seniors 😊

Some of the comments in their preview thread are insane for a team that has done nothing for 2 months outside of beat the worst team in the league at home and then got on the end of some very generous umpiring against the fraudulent bombers.

Tipping the midfield + Meek to run riot and dominate in a big way, the rest will take care of itself. The Watson shush celebration will feed families and this time Connor Mac will be dialling up the RSPCA to report 22 missing cats.

Some of the comments in their preview thread are insane for a team that has done nothing for 2 months outside of beat the worst team in the league at home and then got on the end of some very generous umpiring against the fraudulent bombers.

Tipping the midfield + Meek to run riot and dominate in a big way, the rest will take care of itself. The Watson shush celebration will feed families and this time Connor Mac will be dialling up the RSPCA to report 22 missing cats.
They're saying the same about us. We've beaten no one other than Brisbane, who were out of form then.

Fascinating to see what our midfield does to theirs. Even with Danger in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely praying that they're getting big heads again down Corio way and drinking the bathwater.

We match up well against them at our worst, so this should be a piece of absolute piss

Hawthorn skipper James Sicily has escaped serious damage to his shoulder and will be a test before Saturday’s trip to Geelong.
Had a light session today @7NewsMelbourne

Neither. Bowes will tag Day.

Interesting move if that's what they do, he's probably been their second best midfielder this season when he's actually played there.

Over the 8 games with 10+ CBA's:
21.25 touches
3.5 marks
5.5 tackles
7 goals

I'd be happy for him to worry about Day all game.

I wonder if Stewart will play through the middle. I hope they do that too.

They're saying the same about us. We've beaten no one other than Brisbane, who were out of form then.

Fascinating to see what our midfield does to theirs. Even with Danger in there.
Yeah absolutely no one is concerned about Danger in 2024 but they cling onto his relevance big time.

I'm sure some of them will be reading this praying he will have a big game, don't worry guys another 21 touch, 6 clanger game coming to save the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back