Preview Round 17, 2024 : Geelong v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat 6th July, GMHBA stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Lewis is in against the Cats I would give serious consideration to playing Scaife on the bench. Scaife is able to play forward and allow Lewis to get time to recover during the game. Playing Scaife would be a great time to blood him and he can cover some of the ruck work as well as being a prodigious kick. Thinking outside the box it would confuse the heck out of Scott.

Last edited:
If Lewis is in against the Cats I would give serious consideration to playing Scaife on the bench. Scaife is able to play forward and allow Lewis to get time to recover during the game. Playing Scaife would be a great time to blood him an he can cover some of the ruck work and is a prodigious kick. Thinking outside the box it would confuse the heck out of Scott.
I don't think bringing in a debutant is gonna shake the boots of any opposition coach

If Lewis is in against the Cats I would give serious consideration to playing Scaife on the bench. Scaife is able to play forward and allow Lewis to get time to recover during the game. Playing Scaife would be a great time to blood him an he can cover some of the ruck work and is a prodigious kick. Thinking outside the box it would confuse the heck out of Scott.

Scaife has done some nice things, but he hasn’t knocked the door down yet.

I hope we don't panic and carry in any underdone players into this. And of course I'm talking about Sicily and his shoulder. He'll need to prove he has strength and range of motion in the joint.

There are plenty of players at Box Hill who have done more than enough to earn a call up. We need to show faith in these players and reward them.

And this side has enough flexibility that we could easily bring in Hustwaite or Ward to the midfield rotations and then have Day play a bit of time in the Sicily role.

I hope we don't panic and carry in any underdone players into this. And of course I'm talking about Sicily and his shoulder. He'll need to prove he has strength and range of motion in the joint.

There are plenty of players at Box Hill who have done more than enough to earn a call up. We need to show faith in these players and reward them.

And this side has enough flexibility that we could easily bring in Hustwaite or Ward to the midfield rotations and then have Day play a bit of time in the Sicily role.
Don't feel like Sicily will play. He looked like he knew he was cooked after the game

Soldiers step up

Breust & Lewis in
Sicily & Dear out
Hardwick stays back to help out the defence in Sicily's absence
Morrison sub again(wings are not as important in the long but narrow ground)
Defence
Weddle vs Cameron
Scrimshaw vs Neale
Frost vs Rohan
Hardwick vs Stengle
Impey vs Miers
Amon vs Close
Midfield
Nash vs Dangerfield
Worpel vs Stewart
Day vs Atkins
Newcombe vs Bowes
Meek vs De Koning
Jiath vs Holmes
D'Ambrosio vs Dempsey
Forward
Lewis vs Blicavs
Chol vs Henry
Gunston vs Kolodjashnij
McDonald vs Duncan
Ginnivan vs Tuohy
Moore vs Guthrie
Hawks by 20 points we will try and make the oval long and stretch them because our running ability is so strong against the old catters!!

Our forward line has looked very dangerous and slick with Lewis not playing.

Bringing him in isn’t necessarily going to make it better as at the moment there is different styles, and they all play there role and are good defensively, with Lewis in the side the team are going to look for him even if he has two blokes on him, hopefully they lower there eyes and look for the best option.

He hasn’t played that much with this forward line with regard to running patterns etc.

There's zero chance we risk Sicily. He won't play.

I'm bringing in Seamus.

Someone has to shut down Stengle, Miers and Close.

I'm backing Frost, Scrim, Weddle and Dimma to take Jezza, Neale, Henry (sounds like he's back) and Rohan.
They won't play both Rohan and Henry if Henry plays Rohan will more than likely be the Sub. He's in the starting 18 ATM because Henry is out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon we could go:
Weddle -> Cameron
Frost -> Neale
Scrim -> Rohan

Maybe even swap Frost and Scrim tbh
Frost will take the biggest forward so it's Neale. Scrimshaw is a good matchup for Rohan/Henry. Is actually quicker across the ground than you realise so won't get exposed for speed. There strength in the past has been the power forwards getting a hold of us and one of the main instigators of that won't be there. Neale is still developing so you would think Frost can handle him. Weddle v Cameron is the pivotal dual. Id argue anyone opposed to Miers as well but he's been getting alot of attention now as teams have woken up to the damage he was doing. We keep those 2 quiet and keep Stewart's impact to a minimal level can't see them stopping us from kicking a winning score.

Speaking of “con men”. He also said after 5 consecutive losses they were in really good form…

Dear- Lewis

Ollie Henry our concern.

Gunston the best he’s been at ground level for the year yesterday. Was superb below his knees. Cant see a rest for him.

Stengle like Betts & Cameron can’t seem to handle Dimmas Stratton/Gibbo pre match “greeting”.

Dimma-Stengle
Imp- Close
Amon - Miers
Scrim-Henry
Frosty - Neale
Wedds- Cameron

Dimma goes back

Bruest goes forward

Harry can not be left out. Smart. Sets up. Gives shape. Reliable in everything he does by foot. Straight kick at goal.
Stengle is their most dangerous goalkicker outside Cameron. Bloke is a class player. Dimma will wear him like a glove as we know he can.

Wouldn’t mind Mitchell back in, we’d be silly to ignore that Miers and Stengle were a largely the reason they beat us last time out. That was with Hardwick in defence too.

If not, one of Serong, Phillips, or DGB. Breust probably deserves a chance at redemption for the last cats game.

Our best is good enough to knock them off, so I'm interested to see how close to our best we actually play and how many quality goal scoring opportunities we let slip. If we don't leave many goals on the table, I think we knock 'em off.

I've been super impressed with what Dear has brought to the table to date and been loathe to change a functional fwd setup in the past, but now does seem like the right time to bring Lewis back in.
Given his extended absence, I just hope he and Chol are able to synergise quickly.

Fingers crossed Sicily is good to go.
Will be interesting to see what we do with Morrison, Breust & Gunston.

Apparently the Cats freed Stewart up by playing him midfield. If they do, it could suit us by having Nash on him. Danger may go to Day like he did a few yrs ago.

Our forward line has looked very dangerous and slick with Lewis not playing.
Yes - why do we need to drop Dear because of one bad game. Still a kid and playing against teams like Cats will be a good learning for him. Leave the kid and bring in Lewis for Sicily if he is not right and shuffle the personal around.

Out: Morrison, Sicily (inj), Dear (inj)
In: Breust, Lewis, Phillips

Also how the bloody hell are we going to fit in Wingard??

It's been a few decades since I've been to a game at Geelong (and in those days I'd ride my motorbike, now I'm old and feel the cold too much to consider that). Are there many training it? If one were to drive, is parking an issue (according to the GMBHA stadium there is limited parking on gameday). I feel like such a tourist. Any advice from locals/those in the know much appreciated.

Get there early and you should be okay!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back