Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Dear, but he would have struggled on a day like today. It was a terrible game for our forwards and Lewis still kicked 2 after taking 2 strong grabs.
And he almost had a couple more he would clunk when the cobwebs have been dusted off. Fingers crossed he’s ok

On super Saturday after match they said Mitch Lewis hurt his knee and the club will get it scan as how he came down collapsing through his knee wasn’t good when he was knocked out.

And if I hear another Derrrwayne “half brain “ Russell again it will be too soon

“he was half legged/ half high/ half marked / half thrown”

Entirely unsurprised by today’s result. Was more surprised by the optimism (arrogance?) at the start of the game day thread. A lot against us with two key players out, road trip, foreign ground, etc.

I think this emphasizes a few things to me:

1. Ginnivan‘s run is soooo important for us. His ability to get up and down the ground was really missing today.

2. We’re unlikely to make/win finals without Sicily.

3. We’re still not a mature team. Too big a gap between our best and worst, especially in our engine room.

4. We have the pieces to play and challenge in finals going forward. Just more maturity/experience required.

Still really don't understand what the expectation was heading down there.

Probably the least I've 'felt' a loss all season because it was honestly the most obvious one we've had.

Chuck Sicily in and play this at the MCG and I guarantee the result would be far closer.

Anyway, I have high expectations heading into the game against Freo in Tassie. Also not convinced our season is over. We were needing to go 6-3 at a minimum. This was a game I'd already written off as a loss so nothing has changed.

Agree that we were due for a down game but tonight’s effort was pathetic. Cats had a few out yet their no names stepped in and embarrassed some of our supposed better players. Too many soft down hill skiers got exposed tonight. God help us when Day gets injured again - was epic in his efforts again big just gets targeted week after week. Only players who stood up were Day, Worpel, Scrimshaw, Moore and McDonald to a lesser degree but at least he tried

Serong should have played - we got killed in the air which makes the Mitchell in more puzzling

Chol was starting to win me over past few weeks but reverted back to his usual game tonight - lazy and only went when he felt like it. Breust and Gunston are cooked - we played two men down in the forward line

The loss will do us good - the need to bring in more genuine talent, hardness and depth was re enforced tonight. Our off season will be critical this year
You edited your post but still left the casual racism in there.

This post is copping a panning, and sure it could have been more eloquently put, but the list is waaaaaay closer to accurate than inaccurate,

Things to work on, on all levels of the Football Department..

Glad they won’t be sugar coating it. These are the tough lessons to be learned

I do actually take it back about the sh!t effort.

In the past that has been the issue, but not today. Geelong's pressure was consistent across four quarters. And we already looked like we had lost the game in the first quarter. That started with tactics and selection, and not playing the ground at all intelligently.

The Handbaggers were intent on winning this one. We treated it as just another game and never looked like a chance at any point.

Honestly feel that was some of the worst football we have played this year.

It's going to happen.

Before the game was in junk time we were only 5-6 goals away.

Nowhere near the finished product. We are going to be a bloody good side.

Always dirty losing to Geelong. They're going to be hard to beat this year. As others have mentioned already, we missed the gut running of Ginnivan and Dear's forward pressure and it is clear that we had the wrong side with Breust, Gunston and Lewis in the same forward line and seemingly only Wiz providing real forward pressure at times.

Would love to see us go head to head with Weddle in the middle where we look undersized and out paced but would have required an entirely different team selection to play that structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the start its an even comp and if you are 5% off you get hammered, especially by the good teams.

didn't see anything negative today, boys had a crack and things didn't fall the right way.

5 percent is a fair assessment, we were on the back foot from the start, we dropped our heads and Geelong had an extra 5 percent incentive to put us back in our place.

We're a mid-table team this year, can scrape into the 8 if things fall our way. We can find that extra 5 percent against some teams and not others yet.

The boys are learning and growing every week, today is just another lesson.

Apart from the pressure, Geelong just played a lot smarter than us. They set up their zone very well and invited us to kick over it. But without Sicily's bullets the ball hung in the air long enough for them to intercept. A lot. And when we tried to run it through they pressed in on us to force the turnover. We seemed very reactive all night, as they anticipated way better than us.

I'm a big fan of Scrimshaw, he's a good interceptor but I feel he gets his interceptions by reading the ball better whereas Sicily also moves his bloke off the ball to intercept. He competed pretty well but I was hoping for more from him. Having said that, I reckon he was among our better players.

We seemed determined to kick to the left with point kick ins but in the first quarter that was to the skinny side of the ground and it just kept going back inside 50 for them. I reckon that sapped a bit confidence from the team as for most of the first quarter we weren't really competitive.

The umpires were better than they've ever been but despite that I thought we got the rub of the green. Although I hate to say it, I think the score flattered us a bit as Geelong missed a lot of shots they'd normally expect to get.

We'll be better for the experience but that was a tough one to sit through. And like a bunch of you, I don't think we can play Bruest and Gunston at the same time. They are champions of the club, and I know opportunities were few and far between, but they didn't look near the level and had no impact. Trying to score cheapies out the back isn't a good look when you have someone streaming through the middle looking for a lead.

Who was playing on Count Dracula (Brad close) tonight and why didn’t someone send some garlic out at HT for that slimy weasel.
That is comedy gold. Never saw the likeness.
I come in peace. You guys will contend soon much as it pains. Got a solid spine, great coach and Lewis a gun.
We are trying to do open heart surgery on the go to rebuild.
Hoping for a finals game.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

I don't want to hurt feelings here and I know Lewis first game back. But Dear fills me with more confidence then Lewis despite the time off. Dear just works with this team. Not sure Lewis does.
Agree. He’s big and slow.

When he crashes a pack he takes out every Hawthorn player and the ball seems to fall ground in a good position for the opposition to pick it up and clear it.

When Calsher crashes a pack if he can’t mark it he appears to spoil it in the direction of one of our players.

Not sure how it looked on the TV but from the ground it was very noticeable how hard Geelong worked to set up quickly when we had the ball as well as to break into space when they had it.

Meant we had no options to give the ball to until they strangled us then able to get free options everywhere.

Cats were finals standard and we were a long way off. At the very least it was a good chance to see where we need to get to.
I don't think we are a long way off it, but we are realistically a step back .

Things can and do change pretty quickly in this comp

I hate been taught a lesson from that mob. They had our measure from the first bounce. Chris Scott maybe Sam’s kryptonite.

Agree. He’s big and slow.

When he crashes a pack he takes out every Hawthorn player and the ball seems to fall ground in a good position for the opposition to pick it up and clear it.

When Calsher crashes a pack if he can’t mark it he appears to spoil it in the direction of one of our players.
Wow , we are really doing this .

It was his first game in a few months .
He still kicked two from pretty limited supply in our worst game in a while .

I'm one of Dears biggest fans and he has plenty . It's a shame he didn't play as it would have been good for the Cats to get a glimpse of what they will be dealing with .
But he is also a kid . He will need Lewis and Chol there as support .
Expecting him to be the 'one' just ain't going to work .

We need and want those 3 to build synergy together as they can and will be a dynamite combo as we improve further.

The Lewis bashing and criticism is pretty tiresome tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back