Unofficial Preview Round 17 vs. Essendon, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 05/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Markov not being worse than Frampton, Moore and Quaynor doesn't mean it wasn't an awful performance.

Fumbly , low football iq decisions. Which is being more exposed more this year. After a purple patch last year.

But if Noble is out you probably have to keep him in, as the depth is not there and you hope he can pull it back together in that role.
The only low iq decision he had yesterday was in the second qtr with that handball in the backline, which wasn’t even that bad of a handball, just Gold Coasts pressure was too high.

Every other decision he made was fine and progressed us forward from our backline.

He was by no means awful at all. He’s not in the same form as he was last year by any means but I wouldn’t say he was awful yesterday.

I think it’s a bit stiff to call a player awful based off one handball where everything else he did in the game was fine.

Last edited:
Sullivan Harrison
Have to be dropped ..Sullivan slow and NGE.. Harrison needs to go back to VFL and learn to make bigger efforts at AFL level
Reef puffing shows more effort than Harrison

We didn't deserve to win. Just cant put a 4 quarter effort consistently. Suns definitely were the better side overall. But gave it a hot crack in the last, we never die wondering. But that's the thing, we think one quarter will cut it. It won't.

Need to get better. Can't dwell too much, with a 6 day break until friday night v Essendon.
I reckon had we lost to North, the group would have galvanised and won last night. We were due a defeat with our big lapses in games.

I was filthy on our back line last night but looking back, our midfield was well beaten and our boys were forced to defend for 10-15 minutes straight at times as we couldn’t get it past half way. That’s on the midfielders. Crisp is so crucial in that sense that when he has a down game, we notice it big time. Pendles hopefully shakes off the cobwebs as he was needed but went missing for stretches.

I thought we were moving past Mitchell but he would have been handy at stoppages last night

I reckon had we lost to North, the group would have galvanised and won last night. We were due a defeat with our big lapses in games.

I was filthy on our back line last night but looking back, our midfield was well beaten and our boys were forced to defend for 10-15 minutes straight at times as we couldn’t get it past half way. That’s on the midfielders. Crisp is so crucial in that sense that when he has a down game, we notice it big time. Pendles hopefully shakes off the cobwebs as he was needed but went missing for stretches.

I thought we were moving past Mitchell but he would have been handy at stoppages last night
Thank goodness someone has acknowledged Mitchell's importance to the team.

In: Schulz
Out: McCreery

Noble was off due to protocol. He may very well have zero concussion.
Bruz got a corkie. Those can usually be massaged out over a few days.
Sullivan as sub.
Richards starts.

They said on fox about half an hour ago that he's in the protocols
We will miss his run. He takes it on when others are stuck and playing safe. Markov seems to have lost something this year.

I don't know how his stats match up with last year but just judging with the eyes he seems to lack the zip and zest, the desperation he displayed last year.

A half-baked Pendles with a dodgy elbow comes back, Crisp gets shunted out and look what happened.
Pendles deserves the respect, he’s the big dog. However, he didn’t provide the physical presence that Crisp did over the past month. As a result, we got smashed around the ball.

A half-baked Pendles with a dodgy elbow comes back, Crisp gets shunted out and look what happened.
Pendles deserves the respect, he’s the big dog. However, he didn’t provide the physical presence that Crisp did over the past month. As a result, we got smashed around the ball.
North smashed us the week before with Crisp in the middle.
This loss has been coming.

We need a big turn around against the Bombers.

Wasn’t sure what to think of next week, but after tonight’s performance we SHOULD win and win easily.

If we drop this one then we’re just not worthy finals contenders.
Learn from history. There is no such thing as should in this competition. Every game is up for grabs and the previous week's form is mostly irrelevant.

They will be as desperate as us. They have troubled us during our past two successful seasons and we escaped with a draw this year.

Their dual ruck set up will really stretch us as Krueger will have to compete with Draper or Goldstein and he will be rag dolled by both.

Their mids have been down on form but are capable of shredding teams when on song.

Their talls up front will also stretch us.

Tough game. One point win will do.
No more talk of 10 goal thumping or gimme wins.

Anything can happen. Let's hope we have the precious 4 points at the end of the scrap.

Last edited:
Learn from history. There is no such thing as should in this competition. Every game is up for grabs and the previous week's form is mostly irrelevant.

They will be as desperate as us. They have troubled us during our past two successful seasons and we escaped with a draw this year.

Their dual ruck set up will really stretch us as Krueger will have to compete with Draper or Goldstein and he will be rag dolled by both.

Their mids have been down on form but are capable of shredding teams when on song.

Their talls up front will also stretch us.

Tough game. One point win will do.
No more to of 10 goal thumping or gimme wins.

Anything can happen. Let's hope we have the precious 4 points at the end of the scrap.
If we lose to the Bombers we are done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will miss his run. He takes it on when others are stuck and playing safe. Markov seems to have lost something this year.

I don't know how his stats match up with last year but just judging with the eyes he seems to lack the zip and zest, the desperation he displayed last year.
He doesn’t try to get in the chain off half back as much as he used to last year.

Maybe new instructions or something I’m not sure, but when he did it yesterday he did look good, and that’s the most I feel he’s ran off half back all year

What if we then go on to beat the Cats and Hawks? It's not over till we cannot make the 8 mathematically.
Obviously, but I just feel it has extra significance.
Fly looked really annoyed after the game. We need to make a statement.

What if we then go on to beat the Cats and Hawks? It's not over till we cannot make the 8 mathematically.

We need top 4 and ideally top 3 to avoid the SCG.

Geelong have won 2 games against top 8 opponents and made Essendon look silly. Geelong are not a good team and Essendon are top 4 due to their draw, they’re not a quality opponent.

Sure they get up to play us, we also beat them by 70 points last year in the second meeting.

To finish top 4 we can afford to drop 1 more game at most, to get 3rd we probably need to beat Sydney.

Essendon, Geelong and Hawthorn are 3 opponents a top 4 side SHOULD be beating. If we can’t then we’re just making up the numbers this year also.

I didn’t think Markov was the worst in our backline at all. I thought Moore, Quaynor and Frampton all had worse games.

Moore I get scared every time he goes for a kick and handball too, as most of the time he kicks it straight to an opposition player and results in a turnover.

Quaynor was the same, just costly turnover kicks that result in scores against us.

I lost count of how many goals Frampton had kicked on him, and he gave away costly free kicks that resulted in goals as well.

We saw more of Markov’s run that had been missing over the past couple games which resulted in good chances, it’s just the the ball got turned over further along the chain almost every time. If even half of those resulted in goals or scores people wouldn’t be calling for him to be dropped.

I reckon just go unchanged next week if we can.

Just forced changes like Schultz for McCreery and if Noble is concussed, then maybe either Dean or Jiath for him, whether you want to go tall or short.

I think Maynard will be ok, just looked like a corky

Very good description
Moore quayner Frampton. Shocking...
Quayner Frampton. Atrocious

The one eyed will defend him on here.

What Cornes said about Moore is almost bang on this morning.

Moore has been an absolute fraud this year as a defender.

Fraud is way too strong but he has been down.
Move him further up the ground and into the play.

Moore plays to our defensive structure and never moves off that. It was evident in the first quarter against norf.

In - Shultz, McInnes ( needs to be backed in for a month or until Elliott is available , need more scoring options )
Out - McReery ( inj ) Sullivan

Markov as a sub only ( just for his pace at the end of game will make biggest impact ) lucky to be in there

F. Hill. Mihocek. McInnes
HF. WHE. Krueger. Schultz
C. Jaicos. Pendlebury. Sidebottom
HB. Maynard. Moore. Quaynor
FB. Noble. Frampton. Howe

R. Cameron. DeGoey. Naicos
Int. Richards. Lipinski. Crisp. Harrison

Sub. Markov

Fraud is way too strong but he has been down.
Move him further up the ground and into the play.

It's really not the way he is playing.

If it wasn't for the profile and captaincy he would be dropped.

In - Shultz, McInnes ( needs to be backed in for a month or until Elliott is available , need more scoring options )
Out - McReery ( inj ) Sullivan

Markov as a sub only ( just for his pace at the end of game will make biggest impact ) lucky to be in there

F. Hill. Mihocek. McInnes
HF. WHE. Krueger. Schultz
C. Jaicos. Pendlebury. Sidebottom
HB. Maynard. Moore. Quaynor
FB. Noble. Frampton. Howe

R. Cameron. DeGoey. Naicos
Int. Richards. Lipinski. Crisp. Harrison

Sub. Markov
Noble is out too with concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back