Autopsy Round 18, 2023 : Hawks wallop Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forwardline worked well with Lewis and Kosi in it. Even when Kosi wasn't getting much of the footy at all.
Has not worked well since we abandoned that combo.

• Wingard was good but has no strength in the contest. Gets bumped off and outmarked nearly every time. He's smart and proactive and that's useful.
  • Breust is such a legend - those 3 goals were all awesome.
  • Worpel and Nash were seriously good today.
  • Backline suddenly looks airtight with Sicily in it.
  • MacDonald looked awesome today, and Ward becoming a player who makes and nails good decisions.
  • Denver has definitely shown something as a forward. I like it. Ferg between VFL and AFL level I think.
  • Awesome performance by mids and defenders.

Aside from bad kicking I liked that game. Winning > losing

Worpel was excellent today and added a few more dollars to his contract offer. He was the best of a good bunch, as the entire midfield group was really good today.

It was great to see MacDonald free-wheeling around getting involved up the ground. He's such a classy mover.

Disappointing that our rucks were outplayed by Xerri, who I wouldn't consider to be a better player than ours (all of his touches were contested, 8 tackles, 7 clearances, only 3 more CBA's than Reeves). He plays hard and plays the way I hope Meek would.

Xerri was a potato not sure what game you were watching. Didn't take a mark either :think:

Ned was clearly the most influential ruck on the field.

Well its a win and that’s good for the boys belief and self confidence.
Our midfield is motoring along nicely, defence so much better and calmer with Sicily there. That’s ok too.
Now…our forward line…it needs a lot of work.
Lacks structure, cohesion and the ability to lock the ball in when it’s in there.
Priority for the off season; find a decent tall who can lead, mark and kick straight. Mitch needs support.

I find it enormously frustrating to watch the wasted forward fifty entries and agree it was a fairly unwatchable game.
Ugly win against poor opposition but at least we finally got the points.
Desperately need a bit more class and size in the forward line.

For Ned to take those next steps he needs to start clunking those two marks regularly. Inexcusable for a guy his size to have it slip through his fingers. Sicily did almost spoil him for the first one but should have been able to clunk it nonetheless.

Ned is a weapon in the centre with his tap work but being a tap ruckman just isn't enough these days. Needs to add that extra string.

I don't think Ned is going to ever have the mobility to cover space like an English/Gawn but if he can learn to sit in the hole like Big Boy did (and Witt's does it exceptionally well) he will go on to have a great career as a ruckman.

Just needs to start pushing to that 10 possession + 2 mark territory and we have a Premiership standard ruckman. Still plenty of time.

What's that weird thing DGB does in the Forwardline, where he catches the ball in the air & makes play stop?

Seems very effective - we should get other Forwards to do that as well.
He did this other weird running thing that drew defenders away from Lewis and created space. I think the commentators called it leading.

Finn very good as well, hassled north players well and was kicking to good spots mostly.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For Ned to take those next steps he needs to start clunking those two marks regularly. Inexcusable for a guy his size to have it slip through his fingers. Sicily did almost spoil him for the first one but should have been able to clunk it nonetheless.

Ned is a weapon in the centre with his tap work but being a tap ruckman just isn't enough these days. Needs to add that extra string.

I don't think Ned is going to ever have the mobility to cover space like an English/Gawn but if he can learn to sit in the hole like Big Boy did (and Witt's does it exceptionally well) he will go on to have a great career as a ruckman.

Just needs to start pushing to that 10 possession + 2 mark territory and we have a Premiership standard ruckman. Still plenty of time.
I agree, happy with what he does offer but the player he could be if he took the marks he gets his hands to is one that pushes for AA status.

Actually ! Good game to show how far we've come.
We had nothing going our way after quarter time. The oppo wanted to grind the game out, umps were woeful, and we had zero accuracy

We overcame that and won by 8 goals. Previous years - even at times this year, we lose by 5 goals. Only norf, but being able to get that win was an important step

As for Reeves, I think he's the tall version of Tim Clarke.
Doesn't seem to contribute much, but when he isn't there you notice just how important he is.
Meek far more of a liability than noodle

Eye test (not looking at stats), worpel clearly the best mid, and impey really important as a linking player.
Felt McDonald was our best in the first half when everyone was off

CMac showed great composure - he got sold up the creek twice and calmly worked his way through it both times. Apart from his set shot, Finn was good. The midfield just worked, and we got good Frosty and intense Scrimmers today. Really just need a real second marking target and it would have been a great game.

Xerri was a potato not sure what game you were watching. Didn't take a mark either :think:

Ned was clearly the most influential ruck on the field.

And yet he was better than our rucks. Reeves and Meek had one mark each also. Xerri had several tackles and clearances, and that counts in a game where the marks and HO's were barely separable.

It's obvious why Lewis has 2-3 hanging off him at every foray forward. What doesn't make sense is why we keep putting it to him whilst outnumbered. There should be one or two forwards free elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet he was better than our rucks. Reeves and Meek had one mark each also. Xerri had several tackles and clearances, and that counts in a game where the marks and HO's were barely separable.

Thought Reeves was the best ruck, despite the sitters he dropped. His tapwork set the stage for our domination

It was a shame Ramsden was unwell today. I’m not sure he’s ready for AFL yet but he and Lewis and DGB at least add a new look that is mire promising than the resting ruck idea we’ve tried so far this year. Doesn’t look like Kosi did much in BXH just going by the stats so hopefully we try Ramma and DGB next week.
Apparently Ramma got concussed from being hit by a football yesterday so won't be back next week

He was not better than any of our rucks what are you smoking?

Xerri gave away 6 free kicks. Plenty of them were inexcusable.

Look at the Norf board they are wanting his head on a spike. He was terrible.

Couldn't give a toss if he had several tackles. He was ineffectual.

Reeves was the dominant ruck and his tapwork was instrumental to our clearance dominance.

Reeves led the game for Score Launches, i.e., play that starts a scoring chain - intercepts, taps that sort of thing.

Would have been great if he took those contested marks but he was the most influential ruck on the ground.

It's obvious why Lewis has 2-3 hanging off him at every foray forward. What doesn't make sense is why we keep putting it to him whilst outnumbered. There should be one or two forwards free elsewhere.
It’s up to our forwards to both make themselves dangerous as well as work together to create pockets of space for our players to deliver the ball into.

It’s all too stationary at the moment unless it’s from a quick break. Once the opponent gets some numbers back we don’t have an answer.

Ward just keeps finding the ball and making good decisions.

CMac flying under the radar in the media.

Frenchy still to come. It's going to be a headache figuring out how we fit all these players in.

Hard watch today both sides showed why we are on the ladder but another game into the kids and a win

I’m not sure what was more frustrating the skills by both teams mainly entering the 50 or the over umpiring of that game

Not much love for Day in this autopsy, thought he was outstanding especially pushing hard back into defence.

Hallmarks of a gun player is when a game like today for Day becomes a run of the mill performance.

Had him in my Yabby votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023 : Hawks wallop Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back