Autopsy Round 18, 2023 : Hawks wallop Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

The much maligned Frosty deserves plenty of praise. Was excellent today. As was Scrimshaw.

Just goes to show how important the midfield is in slowing down transition. Gibson and Lake would look like potatoes if we let them face 60+ inside 50s coming at the speed of light.

Well beyond just an 'improved player'. Is now a genuinely good midfielder, bordering 'very good'. That he tackles & breaks (or stands up in) tackles makes him even more valuable.
His first quarter was elite. He lead in disposals, I50s, meters gained, and score assists at quarter time. Was good the rest of the game too.

Ward just keeps finding the ball and making good decisions.

CMac flying under the radar in the media.

Frenchy still to come. It's going to be a headache figuring out how we fit all these players in.
Both CMac and Ward are doing a great job of getting involved even when not in the middle.

Challenge for Frenchy and the other guys is to find a role in the team outside of the middle. Our current starting mids are playing super well and not making it easy for these guys to break in

Just read the autopsy thread on the North board, since my brother is a North supporter and I wanted to get a sense of their view of their rebuild. Wow! I am really glad we’re where we are now

Crazy how they are starting to turn on LDU.

Giving Ninthmond supporters a run for their money.

We were our own worst enemy. Should’ve absolutely smashed them.
Like Tops said - imagine supporting Norf ! Apart from Sheezel & Wardlaw they really struggle everywhere.

What a huge difference an injection of a Watson, Duursma or Curtin would make. A partner in crime for Lewis and we start to form a Finals type team.
The prospect of a free agent as a sweetener too.

24,25,26 are going to be enjoyable years I believe

Where do you find the score lauches stat? That's an interesting one.
Hard on mobile but fairly easy on a desktop, just open up the matchday stats and use My Stats. You can pick it from a list.

Couldn't watch, satisfied with a workmanlike result against the bottom team. 16 behinds to 12 goals is a bit of a worrying return though, lol. Flip that around is what we need to see next year; more goals than points!

The much maligned Frosty deserves plenty of praise. Was excellent today. As was Scrimshaw.

Just goes to show how important the midfield is in slowing down transition. Gibson and Lake would look like potatoes if we let them face 60+ inside 50s coming at the speed of light.
Still had his Frosty moment when he charged off Larkey to get nowhere near impacting an 1 on 1 contest that Weddle was involved in and watch the ball go over his head to Larkey for a goal

Last edited:
CBA's out of 22:
17 - Worpel - 7 clearances, inc 3 centre clearances
16 - Nash - 4 clearances, inc 4 centre clearances
15 - Newcombe - 7 clearances, inc 0 centre clearances
15 - Reeves
11 - Day - 2 clearances, inc 2 centre clearances
7 - Meek
6 - Ward - 4 clearances, inc 0 centre clearances
1 - Sicily

Winners are grinners, we will win these type of games by far more in 2 years time.

Didn’t like
  • The 2 rucks they offer nothing aerial or when it hits the ground, shame Rama done himself a mischief.
  • Norf flooding back
  • Brocky was disappointing I thought, laid 5 tackles but there some times when could have pressured or chased but didn’t.
  • Not scoring 100
  • Being 1st to the ball and somehow losing the free kick count
  • didnt like Impey burning DGB
Liked
  • Midfield smacked them, Worpel BOG followed closely by Amon.
  • Bruest is all class
  • Flynn was good
  • Like Wingards game, lost his leg speed unfortunately.
  • Amon was great, seemed to be at right spots all game & got his possessions all over the field. Been a great pickup
  • Frost smacked Souv, best game for the year.
  • Cmack with another 20 games is going to be something special

I really feel we have our midfield for the next 5+ years all ready on the list, need to hit the draft, trade and free agency to fix up forward.

Tiges very beatable

Well beyond just an 'improved player'. Is now a genuinely good midfielder, bordering 'very good'. That he tackles & breaks (or stands up in) tackles makes him even more valuable.

He's just too big and strong.

He's now averaging 23.9 touches a game, which is good in its own right.

But from round five (13 games) he's been averaging 26.3 touches and 5.6 tackles. That's huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But from round five (13 games) he's been averaging 26.3 touches and 5.6 tackles. That's huge.
He gets out some impossible handballs as well.

The most frustrating game I’ve watched all year

Worps, Amon, CMac, Chad and Jars were good
DGB went ok when he came on - wouldn’t mind persevering

Can’t play Meek and Reeves together
Brockman needs to do a mountain of work on defensive pressure

It was like watching a dad play-wrestling with his kids at times out there.

LDU had zero impact despite the amount of ball he received.

He gets out some impossible handballs as well.
Yep - Nash has the quickest hands in the game I reckon. I also like the way he stays in the contest - his second efforts often make a big difference by either preventing an opposition clearance and forcing a ball-up or even winning a clearance. His field kicking continues to come along. He is pretty effective with both feet and is weighting the ball nicely. If he can improve his goal kicking and his overhead marking he will be close to elite. He seems to be a bit of a perfectionist - he really hates making a mistake which is one of the reasons he keeps learning. I think there is still a fair amount of upside.

Yep - Nash has the quickest hands in the game I reckon. I also like the way he stays in the contest - his second efforts often make a big difference by either preventing an opposition clearance and forcing a ball-up or even winning a clearance. His field kicking continues to come along. He is pretty effective with both feet and is weighting the ball nicely. If he can improve his goal kicking and his overhead marking he will be close to elite. He seems to be a bit of a perfectionist - he really hates making a mistake which is one of the reasons he keeps learning. I think there is still a fair amount of upside.

I'm pretty sure he played as a full back rather than a forward in Union but he has an uncanny ability to rake the ball out with his feet during congestion like a hooker. Worpel and Newcombe often the beneficiaries as they steam out of the pack with ball in hand.

Amon BOG followed closely by Worp.

Frosts best game for us.

Happy with Finn today.

Frustrating game to watch, but North are rubbish if we smack em like that, playing that badly.
Both Worpel and Amon were great. I had Worpel a bit ahead because he broke open the game at times. Definitely one of Frost's better games but I am not putting it down as his best because he has had quite a few at that level. I would say among his best rather than his absolute best. Great to see him playing purposefully but sensibly. Agree on Finn. I was starting to wonder if he had a future but his game today was quite reassuring.

great win, real improvement is needed to get off the kellie underwood timeslot.

"here's Nash, with some Dash"
At least if she does a Melbourne game she can be avoided by attending the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023 : Hawks wallop Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back