Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't give a Yelp in the last QTR when it was all on the line.??? WTF! It was such a limp effort.

Fighting desperately for a comeback win has been our trademark for 2 years. They just couldn't be bothered tonight.

Realistically, when Fly was appointed coach l expected us to go into full rebuild mode and didn't expect to see us play finals for many years. But 22 and 23 were among my most enjoyable years supporting the Pies, culminating in winning a close GF rather than losing or drawing.

This year injuries and maybe desire have conspired against us, so given l wasn't expecting finals l won't complain about missing the 8 this year after the past 2 years.

No one has been fine.
To play this badly takes a total team effort.
Our defence of the premiership is an absolute embarrassment.
It’s like they don’t really care all that much.
I’ve defended them as much as anyone, but man, that was shocking.

We suck.

How can this bee after last year?

Embarrassing

Harsh.

I thought we actually played pretty well - easily the best game in a month. That game would beat most teams.

It’s just that tonight Geelong were better.

First half was played at the tempo of a finals game. And Geelong matched us.

Darcy Moore continually throws his teammates to the wolves by not manning the opposing sides most dangerous key forward and leaving it up to either Dean who is nowhere near ready for that, or leaving it to Billy Frampton who does not have the athleticism to go with the modern day talls, and tonight it was left up to Q, who played his heart out.

As captain, Moore should be taking that responsibility on himself but he is much too concerned about making sure he gets to play loose man all game, every game.
Which I’m still not a fan of, he’d be in the bottom three for me in terms of players I want having the footy in our D50.

Just not sure if that’s the right approach for a captain to have or if it sends the right message to the rest of the playing group when their captain is unwilling to sacrifice his game in fear of getting beaten by the opposition forward so he instead mans Gary Rohan and a third gamer tonight.

So Moore should just tell McRae to **** off when he’s told who to line up on? Good plan ;)

Geelong took 46 more marks than us in the 2nd half. Same story as last week.

Teams have completely figured us out. Keepings off in the back half opens up our zone like it's wet tissue

Plus the issue is we can’t seem to do the same to them.

Can hit kick the ball through the opposition zone to save ourselves. Just don’t have the work ethic to get free, or the foot skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh.

I thought we actually played pretty well - easily the best game in a month. That game would beat most teams.

What were you watching!
We were beaten comfortably by a middle of the road team.

We don’t chase hard enough, tackle hard enough or execute skills well enough.

We are a bottom four side.

Coming off a flag that is hard to take.

Thanks to that Terrible Trade for Schultz
Schultz has had a few good games but for the most part the trade has been a failure. For a 1st round draft pick and moving Ginni out to make room for him up forward has been too costly with no rewards reaped. i had high hopes for Schultz but he hasn't been the consistent high impact player I thought we were getting.

Oh well, at least nobody can say we didn't try, but the gap between a mostly healthy team and one decimated by injury was just too big to overcome and that's been pretty clear in this last quarter.

It is what it is, we're just not not able to put a 22 out on the ground that can compete against the top teams at this stage and with our run home making the top 8 appears to be a pipe dream, unless something miraculous unfolds over the last 5 weeks of the season.

How could you possibly think the effort was satisfactory? Closing down short uncontested kicks I'm the backing, not allowing an easy transition from one end to the other is clearly work ethic related. There were some horrendous efforts out there tonight.

Harsh.

Good post - the lack of perspectives by many is unfortunate.

How many of our players are carrying injuries like Cameron josh daicos etc

Season is not over yet. Top 4 chances are gone though.

We have to beat 4 out of Carlton, Sydney, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond to make it now and even then need may some results to go our way I suspect.

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back