Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Cameron needs to get comfortable running back after a mark and then kicking the ball.

Always looking to give off sideways isn’t helping move the ball quickly.

What were you watching!
We were beaten comfortably by a middle of the road team.

We don’t chase hard enough, tackle hard enough or execute skills well enough.

We are a bottom four side.

Coming off a flag that is hard to take.
Settle down - and go to the AFL app where the stats will prove you wrong.

Geelong attempted to put their head over it consistently all night when the ball was at ground level, worst case it's a ball up and a repeat stoppage, best case you use quick handball to move the ball quickly.

A kick off the ground generally transpires due to panic or fumbles at ground level and the imminent pressure the opposition are bringing to the ball. And when you soccer it forward, you're generally going to move it directly into a turnover zone where it allows the opposition to rebound with no pressure. They murdered us off of every soccer kick all night.
It was noticeable wasn't it.
I thought it must've been a chaos ball tactic we we deliberately using on the night.
. But as you say it backfired badly and the soccer's nearly all went to Geelong.

Because both Bolton and Leppa were offered bigger and higher paying jobs at other clubs. To keep them, we made them Director of This and Strategist of That, and moved around other assistants into their roles.

In other words we had no option but to change the assistant structure.

So Wright wanted to leave and we gave him 6 months off

Leppa and Bolton were tempted by better offers and we had to break our structure to keep them

Next question

Why doesn’t anyone want to stay?

The high press of our forwards is now too predictable. Sides are just keeping loose defenders back and chipping the ball around and eventually through us. We need to have another strategy to counter sides doing that. Probably too late in the year to implement a second strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazed at the posters who seem to have been blessed with the extraordinary gift of hindsight, and who come to these threads to point out everything that’s wrong, including with the coaching.

I must have missed their posts in February and March where these disasters were predicted.

We play like a soccer team.

I just hope we don't make finals that extra break is massive coming into the next year.

I have a question.

When was the last time we had a kick out and really went for it down the middle?

I can't remember one in weeks.

No one has been fine.
To play this badly takes a total team effort.
Our defence of the premiership is an absolute embarrassment.
It’s like they don’t really care all that much.
I’ve defended them as much as anyone, but man, that was shocking.

We suck.

How can this bee after last year?

Embarrassing
Yep, we are looking like Geelong circa 2023 after their flag in 2022. Injuries, poor form, loss of appetite etc etc. Only the great teams back it up, we are not a great team unfortunately. For me it just stamps more relief that we snagged 2023 because we 'aint winning another one for a while unless we can summon up the courage for one more shot in 2025 before several players fall off the cliff.

What were you watching!
We were beaten comfortably by a middle of the road team.

We don’t chase hard enough, tackle hard enough or execute skills well enough.

We are a bottom four side.

Coming off a flag that is hard to take.

Now you’re just being silly.

We lost to a team that’s in the top 4.

We had the highest tackle count in a month. The pressure was there, particularly early on.

We are nowhere near a bottom 4 side.

So Wright wanted to leave and we gave him 6 months off

Leppa and Bolton were tempted by better offers and we had to break our structure to keep them

Next question

Why doesn’t anyone want to stay?

Can’t speak for Wright, but if I was running another club I’d love to nab Bolton or Leppa, especially after 2022-23, so they could steal some of our club’s IP. Happens all the time.

The Degoey, Pendles and ND center bounce set up needs to end.

3 goals in 2 mins at start of game vs it. Then mostly we'll beaten when together as a trio.
We were better when Pendles was out injured and we had Crisp and Nick in the middle.

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back