Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong took 46 more marks than us in the 2nd half. Same story as last week.

Teams have completely figured us out. Keepings off in the back half opens up our zone like it's wet tissue
It would be ok though if we had a gun backline like the last year two to take intercept marks and go. That's been the real difference, our gameplan more than anyone requires a few gun aerial defenders . Moore alone hasn't cut it and Frampton and Dean aren't quite up to it

Also if teams play keeping off, you can win if you win at clearance. We are clearly short for genuine mods , especially inside mids

We play like a soccer team.

I just hope we don't make finals that extra break is massive coming into the next year.

I have a question.

When was the last time we had a kick out and really went for it down the middle?

I can't remember one in weeks.
We tried kicking down the middle in the dying minutes and it immediately resulted in a turnover and a Geelong goal.

We will be lucky to win another game for the year.

Never mind JMac, by Thursday you’ll be back to saying we’re unbeatable and tipping us for the flag. 🤔

Post season I think it will come out that a lot of our players have been playing through a chronic injury of some sort that they've been managing.

I mean, I’ve been saying basically since he came back that De Goey is clearly carrying something

We tried kicking down the middle in the dying minutes and it immediately resulted in a turnover and a Geelong goal.

Sorry I should have said when the game wasn't done.

OK
I only watched 2nd half but generally I watch every game

Now my thoughts and most won't like it

Time to retire Howe sidebottom and pendles at end of year

Now for the big one

Trade Moore

Yes our captain...

Will get a first and 2nd round pick ...

Mcinnes will ask for a trade...disappointing and tbh annoyed his always sub...swap for Keane and swap of some picks

Delist fin, begg, Markov

Retired Carmichael Murphy

Naicos captain

#ducks for cover

How could you possibly think the effort was satisfactory? Closing down short uncontested kicks I'm the backing, not allowing an easy transition from one end to the other is clearly work ethic related. There were some horrendous efforts out there tonight.

Our perception of effort is a function of our ability to compete and maintain an effort level for four quarters.

We've been hanging onto expectations that we are still as good as we earlier in the season, but it is clear that the merry-go-round of injuries has caught up with us.

The one thing that allows these teams to keep playing safe hands off football now is that we're unable to put teams under pressure defensively when we have the ball and hit the scoreboard consistently, so they're playing largely risk free footy just to bank the win.

Our pressure game plan is predicated on the opposition having to take risks with ball in hand and right now with our bit parts forward line (and now down back as well) they simply don't have to if they have sufficient skill by hand and foot and sufficient running power to keep playing keepings off.

Nothing is changing. Get the back to work speech from Fly but nothing changes

As much as I’ve loved Fly I’m starting to wonder how much of the on field traditional coaching he actually does

Starting to wonder if Leppa and Bolts were doing more of the traditional stuff and with them two no longer there in that role, we just look like we did under Buckley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK

Now for the big one

Trade Moore

Yes our captain...

Mcinnes will ask for a trade...disappointing and tbh annoyed his always sub...swap for Keane and swap of some picks

Delist fin, begg, Markov

Naicos captain

#ducks for cover

Football clubs are about more than names on paper. Moore is going nowhere. He has been very average this year and seemingly getting worse, but he is still a superstar at his best. Form is temporary...

Amazed at the posters who seem to have been blessed with the extraordinary gift of hindsight, and who come to these threads to point out everything that’s wrong, including with the coaching.

I must have missed their posts in February and March where these disasters were predicted.
To be fair we’ve been told again and again we had a strong preseason, great recruiting, high energy etc etc. We burst out of the blocks with 3 straight losses.

Who could predict this? I’d prefer to trust first. Just that the messaging is getting stale now and the energy we rely on for our game plan has dried up.

It returned a little with the younger kids getting games but this is the part of the season where you really do get found out if things aren’t structurally ok

OK

Now for the big one

Trade Moore

Yes our captain...

Delist fin, begg, Markov

Naicos captain

#ducks for cover

That's less then we gave up for Schultz lol

856bbc37c6335c87c707aa055b8ed234.jpg

This is an extreme strategy breakdown again this week.

It is soft**** flankers taking the marks too.

Defensive zone

What were you watching!
We were beaten comfortably by a middle of the road team.

We don’t chase hard enough, tackle hard enough or execute skills well enough.

We are a bottom four side.

Coming off a flag that is hard to take.

Time for another IPA I think.

To be fair we’ve been told again and again we had a strong preseason, great recruiting, high energy etc etc. We burst out of the blocks with 3 straight losses.

Who could predict this? I’d prefer to trust first. Just that the messaging is getting stale now and the energy we rely on for our game plan has dried up.

It returned a little with the younger kids getting games but this is the part of the season where you really do get found out if things aren’t structurally ok

Even in our flag year we won 11 games by under 1 to 2 goals.
That means we were a bees dick off being a bottom side had the results reversed. Given the comp comes after the premier team it was never going to go to the same script.

We have to beat 4 out of Carlton, Sydney, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond to make it now and even then need may some results to go our way I suspect.
I think we can finish 8th by winning just 3 games with the Dees being one of them with likely results falling our way but 4 would do it for sure. I just can't see us beating any sides other than the Tigers and Dees. The Hawks have been our nemesis for the past 50 years so maybe the Lions at the MCG might be the one if we can ressurect some GF pain. Looking grim though. Our fixture has been rough from Round 0, designed to keep us out of the Top 4 but injuries will do the rest.

OK

Now for the big one

Trade Moore

Yes our captain...

Delist fin, begg, Markov

Naicos captain

#ducks for cover
Look Moore has had a poor season.
But trading him is surely a joke, he could easily come back next year and play at an AA level again

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back