Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We play like a soccer team.

I just hope we don't make finals that extra break is massive coming into the next year.

I have a question.

When was the last time we had a kick out and really went for it down the middle?

I can't remember one in weeks.

WHE tried it twice against GCS and what it showed is that unless you actually have a player in lots of space, or a reliable tall marking option, then the defence best brace for another opposition I50.

And?
We’ve missed 12 crucial Premiership points. That’s what actually matters.
You don’t get what I’m saying obviously. People have been saying the last 2 weeks that it’s not all doom and gloom and we barely lost. I was taking a shot at those people.

Yes I think the shift in the coaching staff roles is showing Fly up now. I think he’s maybe out of his depth without them.

Personally I’m starting to lose confidence in him. This side is not motivated.

I’m not sure on motivation, but I am worried about strategy. We are awfully slow to reverse this uncontested mark trend. Teams are playing chess and we are playing checkers. What has changed?

Our CP Tackles and total distance covered wins.
Which make the “lack of effort” laments hollow.

We failed to capitalize on our HO dominance which was 64-22.
That was the ball game IMO - our stoppage and clearance work let us down.

Jesus H Christ you and this “distance covered” bullshit again lmao

No worries bro

You keep tracking those GPS numbers

All that distance we’re covering is absolutely working wonders

Surprised to see the negativity on this board, Collingwood have had an incredible run since McCrae came on board and played exhilarating football after a couple of years of underachieving mediocrity under Buckley.

No Mihocek, Howe, Mitchell, McCreary and Cox, and some of your players clearly struggling physically after a huge few years.

And yet you've been in virtually every game you've played this year.

The Cats had a tough 2023 (while your mob won a flag) and it was a real wake-up call after winning the flag in 2022.
But there were definitely mitigating circumstances, and it just demonstrated the fact that any club needs things to go near-perfect to compete at the pointy end in any given year.

TBH I don't think either of our clubs are quite up to the mark this year; if anything Collingwood has looked a little more potent and capable of challenging again in September.

Good game tonight, bad luck.

This side has injuries.
Did last year too. Last year was not some dream run of good health at the club. Somehow we won a flag even though you need a lot to go your way to win one.

Injuries have been too much this year but there’s also another big issue and that is the players heads aren’t in it this year.

Injuries + a hangover. Just not our year.

So Moore should just tell McRae to **** off when he’s told who to line up on? Good plan ;)

Well I mean, yeah absolutely.
As a captain there is absolutely nothing wrong with approaching the coach and requesting to take on the responsibility to perform an important role for the team when it needs to be done the most, such as tonight with our season on the line. In fact, that sort of mindset is what’s encouraged in leaders.

If the coaching staff were to knock back that request or not even entertain the idea at all, well then I think there’s even more cause for concern if they don’t see him as capable of fulfilling a perfectly realistic challenge for someone of Moore’s stature.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did last year too. Last year was not some dream run of good health at the club. Somehow we won a flag even though you need a lot to go your way to win one.

Injuries have been too much this year but there’s also another big issue and that is the players heads aren’t in it this year.

Injuries + a hangover. Just not our year.
Give up then. I'm not just yet.

Did someone have a bad day? Just hang in there ...

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

efa

Last edited:
Tomorrow you’ll wake with a fresh perspective.
No I won’t.
We are done.
Signing Pendles and Steele for another year is a waste of time.
Let them go. Bottom out and get some decent draft picks.
The cliff has arrived early unfortunately

Look Moore has had a poor season.
But trading him is surely a joke, he could easily come back next year and play at an AA level again
It’s the unconcealed glee with which some posters attack Moore and his poor form that is surprising - or maybe it isn’t. Some are virtually licking their lips at his decline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give up then. I'm not just yet.
Agree FJ. Not giving up yet.
Cox, McStay returnign soon will make a huge difference - especially Cox. You just cant underestimate how damaging his absence has been for our team. Whether or not he impacts massively in tangible statistics, his presence creates a structure of networks and space that we have missed desperately.
Howe might well be back soon, and McCreery injected with 3 weeks to go will be a huge booster.
Kreuger, Ned Long and Joe Richards showing plenty.
I think Reef needs more game time.
...and if AJ dominates in the VFL again, maybe he gets one more chance.
Definitely can still make finals, and if we do intact, I am sure no team will want to face us.

Geelong attempted to put their head over it consistently all night when the ball was at ground level, worst case it's a ball up and a repeat stoppage, best case you use quick handball to move the ball quickly.
Easier to do when you’re not being pinged for holding the footy

Cox, McStay returnign soon will make a huge difference - especially Cox. You just cant underestimate how damaging his absence has been for our team. Whether or not he impacts massively in tangible statistics, his presence creates a structure of networks and space that we have missed desperately.
Howe might well be back soon, and McCreery injected with 3 weeks to go will be a huge booster.
Definitely can still make finals, and if we do intact, I am sure no team will want to face us.

The way we’re playing right now every team would want to play us

Well I mean, yeah absolutely.
As a captain there is absolutely nothing wrong with approaching the coach and requesting to take on the responsibility to perform an important role for the team when it needs to be done the most, such as tonight with our season on the line. In fact, that sort of mindset is what’s encouraged in leaders.

If the coaching staff were to knock back that request or not even entertain the idea at all, well then I think there’s even more cause for concern if they don’t see him as capable of fulfilling a perfectly realistic challenge for someone of Moore’s stature.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it’s less about capability and more about best use of available resources. We didn’t lose this game because Moore wasn’t on Cameron.

We play like a soccer team.

I just hope we don't make finals that extra break is massive coming into the next year.

I have a question.

When was the last time we had a kick out and really went for it down the middle?

I can't remember one in weeks.
Apart from the long kick to the right flank to Darcy Cameron there doesn't appear much general plan of attack.

I would suggest that having a guy taking the majority of the kick ins, who generally struggles to cover 40 metres and is no longer one of your better ball users, limits your ability to begin with.

Geelong have been one of the most dominant sides of the last 20 years (in terms of finals made, GFs won, top 4 finishes etc), yet have not gone back to back in that time.

In 2022 they were the best team by a long long long way. They proceed to not make finals 2023.

Going back to back is very hard. Only a few teams have done it in 30 years, and outside of Adelaide they were all dynasty-level teams.

We were the best team by a long way in 2011 and couldn't get it done.

Winning the 2023 flag was huge and a few of our oldies were probably hanging on a bit for it. An amazing amount of sport is psychology. We're 10-15% off this year between hunger, skill (decline) and execution, and given we win so many by so little, being 10-15% off is a lot.

We were the best team over the year last year but we were rarely dominant. To go from winning 3 finals by less than 20 points combined, to now being 3-4 goals the worse team in several games this year is not completely surprising, though it is immensely disappointing.
We've been in the hunt for every game we've lost except the first two.

The St Kilda, Essendon ANZAC Day, and Freo games were the sliding door moments this year.

The irony is that I feel if we made the 8 we'd be a sneaky chance to make the GF. But getting ourselves there seems a bridge too far now. Everything would have to go right, and we'd have to somehow fix a number of game plan issues too.

Tell him his dreamin

It's all too late. Cox is another 2 or 3 weeks away. McStay is at least a fortnight before even being a consideration. McCreery and Checkers just about done for the season. Mitchell won't come straight back in even if he does return in a couple of weeks.

I was sad to see Ned Long looking out of his depth tonight after showing promise last week. He moves like a sloth. His hands are good and his decision making when he has the ball is good, but he just can't get it.

To be fair, I spoke of my concerns after watching Take The Steps and also the North practice game
With respect, were they genuine concerns or just expressions of normal pre-season anxiety?

A lot of posters use this forum to dump their concerns and worries on the rest of us, and when the season turns to shit they can say - I told you so.

But really, they are perpetually miserable and dont seem to be happy unless we’re losing and then can claim that they knew we’d lose all along.

I’m not putting you in this category, but it’s tiresome.

Fact is we still have excellent coaches and a strong club. We’ve just wilted under the onslaught of injuries and their ongoing impacts.

I wonder if Darcy Moore feels insulted or embarrassed when he lines up on Stengle or other smalls and mid-sized players and looks across to see Quaynor on Jeremy Cameron?

I understand the thinking, but it is flawed-he has provided very little intercept marking nor has he been a springboard for attacking moves. He just looks lost and confused much of the time. Billy Frampton looked surer with the pill in hand tonight.

Surely there comes a time when the captain says "I'm taking the biggest and best forward of the opposition" and then proceeds to beat his opponent and inspire his team.

He’s back to running and dashing into trouble which is what got him dropped last year. He’s lucky that there just isn’t anyone to replace him. Markov the same at the moment. Just cruels our offensive transition when the ball is getting turned over as often as it is.
We’ve missed a running half back with an elite kick since Daicos has gone into the midfield. We’ve played Ryan and DeMattia at half back in the vfl, but neither have the burst run

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back