Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly wish there was a stat for 'effective' clearances. For example, a clearance that leads directly to a score is counted as effective. I'd dare suggest if it was around, we'd be dead last in for and against.

Yep

The number of times I’ve seen us even or even in front of the “centre clearance” stat and just wonder how they’re counting them?

Because it definitely belies the eye test

Our centre clearances are very rarely clean ones

Yep

The number of times I’ve seen us even or even in front of the “centre clearance” stat and just wonder how they’re counting them?

Because it definitely belies the eye test

Our centre clearances are very rarely clean ones
If you were a cousin of Daicos than I would know you.

Look, for the sake of sounding like a broken record, Nick should not be winning the hard ball/clearance. He creates. He should be RECEIVING the hard ball.
That’s one of a myriad of problems.
Mitchell’s absence has killed us. That was meant to be his job. May as well give McCrae 6 games to see if he can do it. Otherwise, cut him.
If Adams was still at our club, that’s what he’d be doing. However, he had to be petulant. So glad that he looks like missing another flag. IDGAF if he’s sitting in the stands whilst Grundy wins a premiership medal. One of those guys got shafted. The other made it all about himself.
….but. I digress…
So disappointed…
Let’s plan for next year and cotton wool our valuables.
Nite. 🤙

I shouldn't laugh. Funny though
We have something left in us yet. Watch

Genuinely curious what gives you that hope outside just…blind hope?

The injury situation seems to be about the same. Each time get someone back we lose someone.

Tactically we seem to have been figured out to the point where teams are just copying other teams methods rather than playing their normal way

Large numbers of experienced players are playing poorly and without passion

So yeah, curious as to where the inspiration for hope is coming from

Overcommitted to one of the only positions we had depth in LOL

That’s the insane part

Even without Ginnivan we had tonnes of depth there

We still had Ginnivan when we made the deal lol

Fly's presser

After a crazy first three minutes where you conceded three goals, the match then became an arm wrestle until you fell away late.
"Probably something we'll review hard. You go three goals in [the first] 3 or 4 minutes or whatever it was and the margin was pretty much that in the end wasn't it. A bit reflective of what we just spoke about. Losing a lot of territory at the minute. Centre bounces were a big cost; 16-6 or something like that. Scores too, centre bounce scores. This is the game isn't it, you got to be good at everything at times, but not really bad. You got to be not really bad at phases of the game. You got to hang in there and fight. 16-6 [from centre clearance] and goals from centre bounces wasn't great tonight".
Following on from last week where Essendon dominated the uncontested mark game, Geelong did the same tonight which stunted your running game. How did you see that?
"That was interesting because they [Geelong] kicked the ball around but it didn't go anywhere. If anything at times, they kicked it back to us. There was no territory gain from it. This is the thing we weigh up, for three quarters it didn't hurt us. There was no scores from it, or relatively low scores from that phase but potentially it was a cost of energy. Whether we got that right or not is something we'll reflect on".
Did Nick Daicos have a corky in his hamstring? How did he manage the niggle?
"Yeah, at this time of the year I think everyone is carrying something. Both teams sort of get to the line to play. I think that's the reality of this long season that everyone is living. I'd be very surprised if not everyone has got something"
Your injury list has been well documented, do you think injuries are catching up with you guys?
"I do feel like there is a little bit of a dark cloud at times over us. I said that to the players this week that we can't live in that space. Josh Carmichael retiring. Those things we've got to be able to celebrate and support, but also keep moving. Brody Mihocek and these guys; we're not here to make excuses. I think for major parts of tonight, we looked like ourselves. If you come watch us, there was a lot of elements of us. Early, our pressure was really good and in other phases of our game we had -20 inside 50s. I'm not sure too many teams will bode well if that's your key indicator. I just want to rid the excuse(s). I don't want to live in that space. We fight to the last second. We kicked the last goal of the game. That's who we are. When we perform better in other parts of our game, that last second generally might mean a bit more. It's always a challenge".
Do you put it down to Geelong being better in the contest and in clearances? Darcy Cameron had a lot of first use in the ruck, but the midfield battle told a different story. How did you see it?
"No doubt their [Geelong] clearance stuff was dominant. I thought credit to Dangerfield, he looked really dangerous and other parts of their game flow from clearance. You can't give -20 inside 50s to Geelong. They're a really dangerous forward line. Lots of weapons down there. Again, Geelong's method around stoppages was better than ours tonight".
Are the stoppage issues an easy fix?
"Well, I live in the growth mindset that our best days are tomorrow. I know Hayden Skipworth is one of the best coaches that we've got and arguably in his craft. He's a fantastic coach and I know how hard he works on this phase of our game. He won't stand still. Easy fix is a difficult word in this game, but we'll certainly strive and aim to be better".
There was a critical moment where it looked Tyson Stengle dropped the ball, but no decision was paid and he ended up kicking the goal. What did you make of that?
"Lot of critical moments. There was a lot of critical moments. You go through them, there's little moments. Will [Hoskin-Elliott] takes a mark 3 vs 1 and slips over. Critical moments, but to make one more than others? I don't know, it's hard to say that".
Jeremy Cameron kicked 3 goals with Isaac Quaynor matched up on him. Do you think there was a mismatch?
"Do you know how many goals he [Cameron] kicked last time we played them? He kicked 7.4".
It still felt like Quaynor did a good job on him?
"For major parts, we thought we had one of their most dangerous players in check and as all very good players do, they find a way to kick goals. We had one that was nearly touched on the line of those 3 [goals] and the other one was a brilliant snap over his head. What a quality player. You give up three first round draft picks for a reason. I think to your question, I think Quaynor and others were hemming him over at times. In terms of when we've played him before, this was by far the best result so far".
Jamie Elliott returned from injury. He had some moments that gave your team a spark, which would be one of the positives for you?
"We'll take many positives away. There's also reality that there's six games to go. Time is running out, but we'll look to reward all the behaviour that makes us who we are. Time is running out. Yep, time is running out".
How do you talk to the players in terms of conveying that "time is running out" and keeping a positive mindset in terms of making finals and getting into a position to have an attack on the finals?
"Reasonably easy because it's just a fact. We got a number in our head that we thought would get the job done to make the finals. This year has probably been like no other. We don't talk about the future. I know the ladder and win-loss is where most of the judgement comes from, but internally we've got to go 'hey, let's get Monday really well done and keep getting better at our centre bounce or our ability to fight in these little moments or make great decisions around these things or take away uncontested marks'. We live in that space, but we're also realists. Six games to go, running out of time".
The last time you lost 3 consecutive matches, you obviously responded so well. Is that something you can use towards motivating the playing group?
"I don't want to look too far ahead but the space we live in, why can't we perform really well all in the games that are coming up. There's no reason to think otherwise. We'll start to look at our group. Who's available and who's not available and to keep trying to get better. That's all you can do. It was a step forward from last week? Potentially. I thought we played 30 minutes of [good] footy last week and lost by 12 points to a very good team. Tonight, we've probably played better for longer periods but again we didn't do it for long enough".
In the last quarter, Geelong used the clock really well by using time and space to keep the ball and deny you possession. Was that frustrating for you in trying to claw back momentum?
"Great question, because it was. It was a frustration of we were trying to get the right amount of numbers forward so when we got it there we could actually keep it there. We sent two or three messages out and we were trying to scream from the boundary like 'come on' to make that work. Again, the cost of that is untold in terms of energy and whatever. The Cats were fantastic in the last quarter in managing the clock. We had to score. You get behind, you have to score. We couldn't get the ball at times so that was definitely a frustration".
How's Lachie Schultz?
"My understanding is that he didn't pass the concussion test, so he's going to be unlikely [for next week]. I'm not sure how that transpired. They obviously hit heads. I haven't seen the footage of it, but Stewart was back on the ground so he obviously wasn't [concussed]".
Schultz's absence will give you another obstacle with respect to team selection?
"Yeah, but Dan McStay is playing his first game tomorrow [in the VFL]. I'll see you down at AIA stadium, to be excited for this young lad. He's going to be playing 40 minutes of footy. We'll celebrate that. He's worked extremely hard. Incredible to think how hard he's worked to get himself into this position. If you go down, he's looking really fit and strong. We wish him well and any Collingwood supporters who want a feel good for the weekend, get down there and celebrate Dan and hopefully he gets through unscathed".
Anyone you might get back next week?
"I don't know. I'm still living in this space at the minute trying to work through this one. We'll see how that goes".

Genuinely curious what gives you that hope outside just…blind hope?

The injury situation seems to be about the same. Each time get someone back we lose someone.

Tactically we seem to have been figured out to the point where teams are just copying other teams methods rather than playing their normal way

Large numbers of experienced players are playing poorly and without passion

So yeah, curious as to where the inspiration for hope is coming from
Collingwood has a serial habit of making finals and featuring in the GF.
More than 1/3 Rd of all GF's played in history.
Nothing surprises me following this team for decades. Not giving up just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, for the sake of sounding like a broken record, Nick should not be winning the hard ball/clearance. He creates. He should be RECEIVING the hard ball.
That’s one of a myriad of problems.
Mitchell’s absence has killed us. That was meant to be his job. May as well give McCrae 6 games to see if he can do it. Otherwise, cut him.
If Adams was still at our club, that’s what he’d be doing. However, he had to be petulant. So glad that he looks like missing another flag. IDGAF if he’s sitting in the stands whilst Grundy wins a premiership medal. One of those guys got shafted. The other made it all about himself.
….but. I digress…
So disappointed…
Let’s plan for next year and cotton wool our valuables.
Nite. 🤙
Nick is an inside midfielder who should be extracting it out of the contest, he is better than players like Mitchell and Adams because he doesn't just shovel it out he will create from those possessions.

Nick is an inside midfielder who should be extracting it out of the contest, he is better than players like Mitchell and Adams because he doesn't just shovel it out he will create from those possessions.
We must be watching different games. He is always under severe heat. It shouldn’t always be him. The kid needs the chance to be receiving and going also.

Fly's presser

After a crazy first three minutes where you conceded three goals, the match then became an arm wrestle until you fell away late.

Following on from last week where Essendon dominated the uncontested mark game, Geelong did the same tonight which stunted your running game. How did you see that?

Did Nick Daicos have a corky in his hamstring? How did he manage the niggle?

Your injury list has been well documented, do you think injuries are catching up with you guys?

Do you put it down to Geelong being better in the contest and in clearances? Darcy Cameron had a lot of first use in the ruck, but the midfield battle told a different story. How did you see it?

Are the stoppage issues an easy fix?

There was a critical moment where it looked Tyson Stengle dropped the ball, but no decision was paid and he ended up kicking the goal. What did you make of that?

Jeremy Cameron kicked 3 goals with Isaac Quaynor matched up on him. Do you think there was a mismatch?

It still felt like Quaynor did a good job on him?

Jamie Elliott returned from injury. He had some moments that gave your team a spark, which would be one of the positives for you?

How do you talk to the players in terms of conveying that "time is running out" and keeping a positive mindset in terms of making finals and getting into a position to have an attack on the finals?

The last time you lost 3 consecutive matches, you obviously responded so well. Is that something you can use towards motivating the playing group?

In the last quarter, Geelong used the clock really well by using time and space to keep the ball and deny you possession. Was that frustrating for you in trying to claw back momentum?

How's Lachie Schultz?

Schultz's absence will give you another obstacle with respect to team selection?

Anyone you might get back next week?

Ah the old we kicked the last goal. Didn’t know it was last goal wins.

Collingwood has a serial habit of making finals and featuring in the GF.
More than 1/3 Rd of all GF's played in history.
Nothing surprises me following this team for decades. Not giving up just yet.

So essentially blind hope?

I at least expected something more concrete?

Something along the lines of:

“Since Fly took over, every time we’ve lost 3 in a row, we’ve then gone on massive winning streaks”

At least that’s something statistical that can fuel some hope. Blind hope when all evidence suggests there is none is just…meh

We must be watching different games. He is always under severe heat. It shouldn’t always be him. The kid needs the chance to be receiving and going also.
He is ranked 2 in the league for contested possessions. He is an inside beast for taking it from inside to out and creating. Yes I clearly must be watching something else if you think Nick is purely an outside player.

So essentially blind hope?

I at least expected something more concrete?

Something along the lines of:

“Since Fly took over, every time we’ve lost 3 in a row, we’ve then gone on massive winning streaks”

At least that’s something statistical that can fuel some hope. Blind hope when all evidence suggests there is none is just…meh
We are the reigning premiers. That's not blind hope.

We are the reigning premiers. That's not blind hope.

I mean…it is but you do you

I’m hoping we get more games into these kids we have so they don’t look as out of their depth in 2025 and can start to have genuine impact when they play and actually start pushing the older players out

This reliance we have on the players over 30 who aren’t playing well anyway is a massive worry

He is ranked 2 in the league for contested possessions. He is an inside beast for taking it from inside to out and creating. Yes I clearly must be watching something else if you think Nick is purely an outside player.
I’m not saying he’s an outside player.
I’m saying he SHOULD be more outside. Giving him more space with ball running away from a clearance rather than being the nucleus of a clearance will provide more damage.
…noticed how we aren’t in the eight?
The Cats fisted us at centre stoppages. I saw Nick in there a lot. We didn’t try running him off the back of the square very often.

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back