Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The depth in our forward line this season has been has been something else.

It has been though

We’re surprisingly efficient at scoring from inside 50 entries.

It’s actually probably the one shining light of this season

Our forward line depth is being tested with the talls. Not the smalls. At all times we’ve had 2-3 decent small forwards. Which is all we’d have even at full strength.

Pendles was a massive liability in the center square, he's just way too slow to be effective. It's unfair to the other mids and defence that he provides no defensive pressure once the ball gets to space.

Long was terrible

Maynard/Quaynor poor

Moore had his usual poor/mediocre game

Harrison is due for a spell in the VFL

Hill once again another shocker. Tried to do so much but had such little positive influence

Schultz and Lipinski very quiet

De Goey was good, Nick Daicos was good.

Josh Daicos has completely fallen away this season.

WHE was good

Richards was good

Elliot good.

Markov is a bloody VFL player

Between Moore and Frampton was actually have the worst KPD in the league.

Pendles was a massive liability in the center square, he's just way too slow to be effective. It's unfair to the other mids and defence that he provides no defensive pressure once the ball gets to space.

Long was terrible

Maynard/Quaynor poor

Hill once again another shocker. Tried to do so much but had such little positive influence

WHE was good

Richards was good

Elliot good.

Agree with almost the entirety of your post outside the Frampton stuff

Reckon Frampton was pretty good tonight. Especially under trying circumstances.

Billy isn’t your “main man”. He’s a supporting character that is meant to support the “main man”. When your main man is Moore and Moore is as poor as he’s been this season, it makes life difficult for Billy

Throw in some inconsistency with his role and I reckon you’re being a little harsh on him

Outside the Gold Coast game he’s actually been a pretty reliable lock down defender for most of the season

It has been though

We’re surprisingly efficient at scoring from inside 50 entries.

It’s actually probably the one shining light of this season

Our forward line depth is being tested with the talls. Not the smalls. At all times we’ve had 2-3 decent small forwards. Which is all we’d have even at full strength.
Our forward has been hit hardest by injury this season.
Besides our key forwards, Elliott, McCreery and Richards have all missed games, WHE too, Bobby has looked sore for many games.
It’s felt like a revolving door.
I do agree that if we had a better run with injury, we are looking good for the future.

Umps were crap for 3 quarters. We were crap for 100 minutes.

Lost Center clearances by 10. Our midfield is horrible.
BUT SAM BERRY IS THE ANSWER 😛

Long was terrible

Maynard/Quaynor poor

WHE was good

Richards was good

Elliot good.

Josh Daicos fallen away. Are you kidding. He averages 23.9 disposals a game. Last year 25. He gets more attention now. But he’s good most weeks. It’s just he’s playing in a side far inferior to the last couple of seasons

Judging by how our players are reacting post-game the hunger is clearly gone. Doesn’t look like they care much. Smiles all round.
This.

Fly and Darcy (our leaders) should be seething with the lack of effort in the last quarter with the season on the line.

Sadly, we've seen a lack of care all year.

Last year the underlying hunger of losing close finals drove us. Clearly, they're all happy enough wearing gold logos for a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Reef walks at the end of the year I would not blame him. I am still at a loss to understand why he didn't start in our forward line which is already seriously undersized. If the plan was to use speed and ground balls to dazzle and confuse the Geelong defenders then surely at three quarter time with the Cats 2 goals up and controlling the game you might throw a lad whose been known to kick a couple of goals in a short period of time a go.

When I looked to our goalsquare and saw little Schultz looking battered and sore with an opponent 15 cm taller and still no Reef in sight I did begin to gnash my teeth and wonder what was going on. It was only when Shooter got concussed that Reef got his chance. Why do they refuse to give him a fair dinkum crack and see what he can do?

Because we stubbornly have to play Schultz because we traded for him. We'd be better off cutting our losses and trading Schultz out for a Rd 2 pick.

Who would've thought that losing Murphy has thrown our entire D50 into disarray.

He's been a big loss but when our forwards and mids just allow the ball to transition the length of the ground, we could have a combo of Scarlett, Rance and Silvagni out there and it wouldn't make a difference.

Realistically, when Fly was appointed coach l expected us to go into full rebuild mode and didn't expect to see us play finals for many years. But 22 and 23 were among my most enjoyable years supporting the Pies, culminating in winning a close GF rather than losing or drawing.

This year injuries and maybe desire have conspired against us, so given l wasn't expecting finals l won't complain about missing the 8 this year after the past 2 years.

When Charlie Cameron put the Lions in front with 5 mins left of the GF, i said to myself that i don't give a fcuk how badly 2024 goes, just give us the 2023 flag. Both of these things came true.

Harsh.

I thought we actually played pretty well - easily the best game in a month. That game would beat most teams.

It’s just that tonight Geelong were better.

First half was played at the tempo of a finals game. And Geelong matched us.

Can't have this.

Geelong continually transitioned the ball around our 'zone' all night. They had 3-4 players waiting out on the fat side of the ground all night and we allowed it time after time. Ollie Dempsey must stink because Lippa refused to go anywhere near him. We're obsessed with blocking the corridor, yet Geelong just kicked it through our defensive set up like it was a training drill.

Completely out coached, out played and the Cats played with a ferocity of a season defining game for both sides.

Watching our lads laughing and back slapping post game shows it means more to fans than what it does to the players.

Geelong took 46 more marks than us in the 2nd half. Same story as last week.

Teams have completely figured us out. Keepings off in the back half opens up our zone like it's wet tissue

It's almost like they need to man up! Actually make the opponent kick to a contest.

Maybe there is a gentleman's agreement - when we are in the lead teams will let us play kick to kick.

Suns exploited the Pies zone defense, Bombers learnt from what the Suns did then the Cats just improved it even further.
Can the Pies defensive coaches not see what is happening ?

I'm actually really surprised at how flat we have been post-bye. I expected we would freshen up and get on a roll but it has been the opposite. Did that North comeback game really take the last bit of fight out of us? Since then the effort has been more of a team trying to stay in the game and not lose by too much rather than a team looking to take the game away from the opposition. Have we won a game this year where you could say that we controlled that game? Maybe the Lions game only, even the Port win came after being well down. This season has just never got rolling.

When the players were given another mini holiday after their bye weekend, it was obvious things were NQR.

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back